“Nice relaxing visit”

Ranked #1 of 1 Stanhope B&B and Inns
malden
“Nice relaxing visit”
Reviewed 27 June 2009

Checkin was fast and efficient. The room was called great meadow I believe and was very nice. We liked the steamy showers and nice robes. Had wireless access and a snack bar, cookies. Breakfast was tasty. Sussex Bike trail is fairly close.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Liz has the perfect hardware (steam showers, goodies, treats, sodas in the fridge, fluffy robes), everything your heart could desire. She also knew that my wife and I had planned a special quiet anniversary weekend at her inn and a couple restaurants in the area. We always try to be the best guests and make nice talk at breakfast and at tea time (the was no tea time at the Swan). Liz is just not into that (no "soft"ware!) and spent the entire time we were present talking to another guest (ONE other guest). She did nothing more than required to accommodate us - hardly acknowledging our presence until it came time to pay the bill. (Note: two other guests mentioned the same issue to us without provocation!) Also, I think it inappropriate for an innkeeper to permit one guest to take over the dining room table, or another guest to take over the entire first floor (wonderful living room, dining room, breakfast room, etc.) for a party in such a way that the common rooms were not available for reading talking, and socializing . The innkeeper is rude (as someone else mentioned) and needs to get her software fixed. The inn could use some help in its landscaping, too.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
lizswan, Owner at Whistling Swan Inn, responded to this review, 2 July 2009
At the Whistling Swan Inn we always strive to Inn always try to meet the needs of each and every one of our guests.

I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. I thought your wife was unhappy when I greeted her at breakfast on Sunday and she did not return the greeting (but), instead walked directly out to the porch.

I wondered how we possible got off track. On Saturday I was talking to a couple (2) at breakfast and I was trying to include you in the conversation. Then your wife got a phone call and I thought it was odd that she never returned to the breakfast table.

Holding the tea party inside the house was a very unusual situation. If you had known the circumstances behind the tea party in the house on Saturday, you might not have made those remarks on Tripadvisor. An outdoor bridal shower was booked for Saturday for 1pm-3: 30pm. We always have the showers on the porch (rain or shine) and it has never been a problem in the past. We host showers from May 15 to Sept 15 on our porch. About 11:00 am the weather report put out a warning of possible severe thunderstorms with damaging winds between 1-3pm. Faced with that news I felt it was necessary to bring the party inside for the safety of our guests.

If left to make the decision again I would make the same one. I would never knowingly jeopardize the safety of anyone. If you were offended I apologize, but I had no other option. Would you have the front two parlors occupied for 2 ½ hours or put sixteen ladies at risk on the porch?

I did not quite understand the problem with my two guests using the dining room on Friday and was unaware that you wanted to use the room. At 11am they were the only 2 guests checked into the Inn. They asked me very nicely if they could use the dining room because they had come to the Inn to get away from their children and try to catch up with some paperwork. There were only two couples checking in between 2- 5pm and both sets of guests were having massages starting at 3:30pm. Guests never use the dining room in the afternoon.

As far as the landscaping, I agree it needs work. I spent three hours today trying to pull weeds, remove tiny trees popping up everywhere and trying to get the garden to look organized. Nineteen straight days of rain have derailed my landscaping chores. I work very hard to have a beautiful garden. I am sure everyone’s landscaping is looking weather worn at this point.

As I said, my staff, and I personally, make every effort to provide a wonderful Inn experience for our guests. Our goal is to provide a warm and relaxing atmosphere where each guest feels comfortable and has an opportunity to meet and socialize with others who are staying at the Inn. Obviously in your case that did not happen. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay.
LaPorte, IN
Reviewed 18 June 2009

My husband & I are from Northwest Indiana. We took 2 weeks and drove through New England. We stayed in Bed & Breakfasts & Inns all along our route. We visited New Jersey because we have our daughter, son in law and 1st grandson there, before heading back home.
The Whistling Swan Inn was wonderful. We enjoyed our walk through little downtown Stanhope, the evening we arrived.
A superb breakfast on the wrap around porch, overlooking the garden was beautiful.
We would've loved to have stayed longer!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
New Orleans La
Reviewed 8 March 2009

The Inn far exceeded my expectations!---All of the details were attended to--good snacks---wonderful breakfast---different every day!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
North Plainfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 December 2008

My partner and I stayed in the High Point Suite for 2 nights to celebrate my birthday. It was truly the most relaxed we've been in years.
I've only stayed in a few B&Bs, so I'm still getting used to the differences between hotels and B&Bs.
The High Point Suite has a quirky set up but is truly cozy and romantic. We thoroughly enjoyed the tub and the fireplace. The bed was super comfy and the ceiling in the bedroom was so beautiful to look at. The steam shower was an added plus!
Since it's a bit into the off season, there were very few guests there and we got to peek into most of the other rooms. All quaint, all beautiful. We've already decided we'll be trying the Walnut Valley Suite next time!
True - the old fashioned skeleton key for our room was a bit difficult to use. I think maybe the lock in the door might be a little loose. However, there is a certain charm that goes along with using a skeleton key!
Breakfasts were super yummy. One morning we had some sort of caramel french toast casserole (I know that's not the right name, Liz! Sorry!) which was beyond delicious. The next morning we had a broccoli and cheese quiche. Very tasty, very cheesey! The cookie jar always had nummy chocolate chip cookies to munch on and the fridge downstairs was always stocked with soda and water. Easy access to the computer made deciding where to go for dinner a snap. We went to Barone's (truly fine food!) and Black Forest Inn (great seafood buffet). Barone's had fantastic desserts - a must "take back to the room" to eat after soaking in the huge tub!
Overall, we had a very enjoyable stay at this Inn and are looking forward to going back again sometime this winter.
Thanks, Liz and Bill! Terrific job on all you do to make your guests comfy and cozy.

• Liked — Soaking tub, fireplace and bedroom ceiling!
  • Disliked — Antique dresser drawers weren't always cooperative!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Medford, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 September 2008

It was the first time my wife and I ever stayed at a B&B and I think the Whistling Swan has ruined it for the next place. It will be hard to beat the lovely rooms and warm welcome we received. It was my wife's birthday and the inn keepers were thoughtful. The area around the inn is rural, historic and beautiful. It will be hard to top this one!!!

• Liked — The Inn keepers John and Alice
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 22 July 2008

We recently stayed at the Whistling Swan Inn, Stanhope. We were on a bicycle trip from High Point, NJ to Cape May and selected the inn becuase of it's location on our route. We pulled in after traveling 15 miles in torrential rain and were warmly greeted by the innkeeper! She made us feel so welcome and she accomodated us and our bicycles and wet supplies. The sherry hit the spot. The room was beautiful and the inn was very clean and well kept. We had all of the comforts of home and can not say enough good things about this inn. This was the first B&B that we stayed at on our 8 day trip and we didn't realize how good we had it. Thanks Liz and Bill - you're the best.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanhope
Residence Inn Mt. Olive at International Trade Center
Grand Cascades Lodge
#1 of 1 in Hamburg
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,785 reviews
Alpine Haus Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Whistling Swan Inn? Share your experiences!