Whistling Swan Inn
Priceline
US$97
US$91
QualityInn
Courtyard Rockaway-Mt. Arlington(Mount Arlington)
US$148
Courtyard
US$135
Holiday Motel(Andover)
US$78
All reviewsb bhigh pointvalley suitebed breakfastsgift certificatejacuzzi tubnew jerseybreakfast was deliciousthird floorwrap around porchr rother gueststhought of everythingcomforts of homeanniversary weekendgreat cookthoroughly enjoyed our stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 July 2009

We chose it because it was equidistant to 3 wineries, but it turned out to be so much better. It was both relaxing and energizing with a no-problems stay and a spiritually refreshing reminder of some parts of life we'd let slide. One reviewer here got hung up on an awkward door lock. Sure, they're antique, but he's SO missing the big picture. It felt like we'd stayed in our benevolent great aunt's mansion (if, that is, she was a billionaire).

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Stayed in B&Bs all over Europe. This is best in NY Metro area. Innkeeper Liz was gracious and informative. Suggested great restaurant down the road. Last minute reservation to visit my son. The Rose Room was beautiful and comfortable. Loved her Saturday Dinner Dance. Attended the same internship which her innkeeping skills. Food is wonderful as Liz is a trained nutritionist. Plan to visit the next time I visit my son. Innkeeper even sent bak glasses left in room.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2009

We stayed 2 nights in the HIgh Point Suite - very comfortable and well-appointed room. The staff was very friendly and professional. Breakfasts were extensive, lots of variety, and high in quality - we particularly enjoyed eating on the fabulous porch. Clean throughout the inn - convenient parking - helpful service - valuable advice - first class in all respects. -Bob&Myra

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2009

Checkin was fast and efficient. The room was called great meadow I believe and was very nice. We liked the steamy showers and nice robes. Had wireless access and a snack bar, cookies. Breakfast was tasty. Sussex Bike trail is fairly close.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Liz has the perfect hardware (steam showers, goodies, treats, sodas in the fridge, fluffy robes), everything your heart could desire. She also knew that my wife and I had planned a special quiet anniversary weekend at her inn and a couple restaurants in the area. We always try to be the best guests and make nice talk at breakfast and at tea time (the was no tea time at the Swan). Liz is just not into that (no "soft"ware!) and spent the entire time we were present talking to another guest (ONE other guest). She did nothing more than required to accommodate us - hardly acknowledging our presence until it came time to pay the bill. (Note: two other guests mentioned the same issue to us without provocation!) Also, I think it inappropriate for an innkeeper to permit one guest to take over the dining room table, or another guest to take over the entire first floor (wonderful living room, dining room, breakfast room, etc.) for a party in such a way that the common rooms were not available for reading talking, and socializing . The innkeeper is rude (as someone else mentioned) and needs to get her software fixed. The inn could use some help in its landscaping, too.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
lizswan, Owner at Whistling Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2009

At the Whistling Swan Inn we always strive to Inn always try to meet the needs of each and every one of our guests.

I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. I thought your wife was unhappy when I greeted her at breakfast on Sunday and she did not return the greeting (but), instead walked directly out to the porch.

I wondered how we possible got off track. On Saturday I was talking to a couple (2) at breakfast and I was trying to include you in the conversation. Then your wife got a phone call and I thought it was odd that she never returned to the breakfast table.

Holding the tea party inside the house was a very unusual situation. If you had known the circumstances behind the tea party in the house on Saturday, you might not have made those remarks on Tripadvisor. An outdoor bridal shower was booked for Saturday for 1pm-3: 30pm. We always have the showers on the porch (rain or shine) and it has never been a problem in the past. We host showers from May 15 to Sept 15 on our porch. About 11:00 am the weather report put out a warning of possible severe thunderstorms with damaging winds between 1-3pm. Faced with that news I felt it was necessary to bring the party inside for the safety of our guests.

If left to make the decision again I would make the same one. I would never knowingly jeopardize the safety of anyone. If you were offended I apologize, but I had no other option. Would you have the front two parlors occupied for 2 ½ hours or put sixteen ladies at risk on the porch?

I did not quite understand the problem with my two guests using the dining room on Friday and was unaware that you wanted to use the room. At 11am they were the only 2 guests checked into the Inn. They asked me very nicely if they could use the dining room because they had come to the Inn to get away from their children and try to catch up with some paperwork. There were only two couples checking in between 2- 5pm and both sets of guests were having massages starting at 3:30pm. Guests never use the dining room in the afternoon.

As far as the landscaping, I agree it needs work. I spent three hours today trying to pull weeds, remove tiny trees popping up everywhere and trying to get the garden to look organized. Nineteen straight days of rain have derailed my landscaping chores. I work very hard to have a beautiful garden. I am sure everyone’s landscaping is looking weather worn at this point.

As I said, my staff, and I personally, make every effort to provide a wonderful Inn experience for our guests. Our goal is to provide a warm and relaxing atmosphere where each guest feels comfortable and has an opportunity to meet and socialize with others who are staying at the Inn. Obviously in your case that did not happen. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay.