“Nasty owners left sour taste for place”
Review of Bell's Mansion

Bell's Mansion
Ranked #2 of 17 Restaurants in Stanhope
Price range: US$15 - US$27
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is the 2nd bad experience I have had at Bell's Mansion and both had to do with the very long wait for our food and overcooked filet mignon and horrible attitude of the owners. We were seated at 7:00 p.m. and our food did not come out until 8:30 p.m. We were told by the waitress that the kitchen was really backed up. After complaining how long this was taking, the waitress brought our table a round of free drinks (3 drinks, my husband does not drink) and said that our bill would be adjusted.(not knowing what this meant) I ordered my filet mignon medium and when it came out 1 1/2 hours later, there were two thin pieces stacked on top of each other and they were charbroiled. I cut into the top piece and it was well done. I had a few pieces and then gave some to my husband. I did not eat the 2nd piece because at this time it was too late to eat meat. When we got our bill, there was no adjustment made so I asked to speak to the owner. The owners both preceded to argue their case and said that our waiting time was not long and that you have to expect that kind of wait because we ordered lamb and it was the day after Valentines day. Excuses, excuses. Never apologized for the delay in our food coming. they saved my second piece of meat which they cut up to prove that it was medium but totally disregarded the fact that it came out too late and it was not to my liking. This place is over priced and the owners handled the situation horribly. What ever happened to "Customer Satisfaction"?

3  Thank Lori M
bellsmansion1, Owner at Bell's Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Lori, here at Bell’s Mansion, we do our very best to satisfy every single one of our customers. We understand that you may have arrived hungry and that you felt you waited too long for your entrees to come out. Coming in at 6:30pm with no reservation on a busy Saturday evening we had informed your party of four that the wait for a table would be apx. 30 minutes. After being promptly seated at 7pm – your drinks were on your table at 7:05pm. Once seated, you and your guests have asked to switch tables, at which point with no hesitation we had done our best to make you comfortable (this took another 15-20 minutes). By the time you and your party looked at the menu and decided to order, it was at 7:24pm that your orders were placed. While the one couple had ordered a salad to split as a starter, you and your husband had ordered entrees only, and by 8:30pm all entrees were served. Please understand that prior to receiving your entrees our server had made us aware that you made her uncomfortable, telling her that you have been waiting and waiting for your entrees and asking for complimentary drinks. As soon as you mentioned it, the drinks were at your table.

Once your entrees were received, your waitress had asked how everything was. She had told me you said the filet was well done – although she confirmed that it was most definitely medium as ordered. When she asked if you would like something else instead, you said no.
As the owner of Bell’s Mansion, I am aware of every situation as it arises. We had welcomed over 250 guests that same evening which all had great things to say and understood that while dining with us you will not be in and out within thirty minutes. With entrees that needed to be cooked for a minimum of 25 minutes (medium filet & rack of lamb) we did our best to expedite all entrees.

What happened next? You ran across the restaurant and yelled at me. Literally screaming across the restaurant. Are you aware that you made a scene? Do you know how many guests and surrounding tables approached us to apologize on your behalf? I apologized if you felt that it was too long, however I simply wanted you to understand the timeline of things. I held my head high and stood my ground. I am not in the wrong here. When your server cleared your entrée plates, you had left a small piece of filet to show the chef and myself that it was overcooked, however I personally sliced that filet and kept it to show you that it was perfectly medium. As soon as you saw it, you agreed that it was cooked to medium as you had ordered. Why would I take something off of your bill if you agree that it is cooked perfectly? You did not wait longer than anyone and your steak was perfectly cooked.

You cannot tell me about customer service nor teach me by telling me your father ran a business. I have been successful in this industry for over 15 years. Please do not tell me how to run my business. If you do not like something – than don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

I do not need nor do I appreciate somebody yelling at me in my own home. I do not normally respond to guests in this manor, however I have reached my limit and can only handle so much.

Maria Kaczynski

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Our family of 12 went to Bells Mansion on Feb. 26 to celebrate our father's 80th Birthday. My sister ordered the Chilean sea bass, which tasted like BLEACH! The dish was sent back to the kitchen (after being tasted), and the server offered to bring a different entre (The owner is denying this; really, ask the wait staff who the dish was handed to?). My sister said no thank you, as she had eaten part of someone else's entre. After the bill was received, we asked to have the meal removed (which most restaurants do automatically). The owner would not remove the $27 item from the bill, he indicated the meal was eaten. Um, no, that is a LIE. As we left the restaurant, the owner stood there with a smug look on his face and his arms crossed. Apparently, He was proud to serve us poor quality food. Our family will never return! Very poor customer service.

6  Thank Gomer12
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We were transformed to the 1840's as we walked into Bell's Mansion. What a beautiful building with all the gorgeous woodwork and antiques. The food was terrific and the menu gave us a wonderful choice of entrees. There are several separate rooms so our group of five adults and three children ( even an eight month old ! ) felt very comfortable. Anna , our server, was a joy. She was so accommodating and gracious. We really enjoyed ourselves and hope to come again !

1  Thank pvnj.
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Have been here for dinner -food was good, service good. Just went for lunch with a friend -she thought her burger tasted odd, crab cake blt-big roll, lots of lettuce, not much crab cake or taste to it. Waiter never asked us how the food was. Had coffee and tea, the cups could not be much smaller for $3.OO never asked if we would like a refill. Nice atomsphere.

1  Thank Barb2277
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Bell's Mansion was very near The Whistling Swan Inn where we stayed during our visit. The food was delicious with very generous portions. Dinner, drinks, and tip for 2 was approximately $100. Will definitely eat here again the next time we are in the area.

1  Thank hurricanekat
bellsmansion1, Manager at Bell's Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed dining with Bell's Mansion and we look forward to having you on your next trip back in the area!!!

Anna Kaczynski