“Our Good Times”

Bell's Mansion
Ranked #1 of 17 Restaurants in Stanhope
Price range: US$15 - US$27
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Stanhope, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our Good Times”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Great place, great food, great people. The owners are the best. We always had a wonderful time there.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Francis522
bellsmansion1, Manager at Bell's Mansion, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Francis!

Thank you so much for dining at Bell's Mansion!
We're so happy to hear that you enjoy our restaurant!

We realize that in this day and age, your restaurant selections are endless, and we really appreciate that you select us for your "good times"! We work really hard to keep it that way!

Always a pleasure,
Anna Kaczynski
Bell's Mansion Manager

Flemington, New Jersey
“Great Martinis & excellent service”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Took a birthday overnight getaway (stayed at Whistling Swan) wonderful B& B. Wanted a nice restaurant where we would have an above average meal but could still go in jeans. Perfect place. Dinner selections were great - he had Chilean sea bass and I had salmon. Both entrees fresh and favorable. Shared homemade pieroges as an appetizer. Our server was upbeat and friendly and even brought him a special dessert. Oh and a great martini menu. An hour plus trip for us but we will definitely go again.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank MaryM392013
bellsmansion1, Manager at Bell's Mansion, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Mary,

Thank you so much for visiting us while staying at the beautiful Whistling Swan Inn! I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your dining experience with us! We look forward to seeing you here again!

PS Our outside patio is officially open! We recommend making a trip up when the weather is nice!!
Flanders, New Jersey
“Nasty owners left sour taste for place”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is the 2nd bad experience I have had at Bell's Mansion and both had to do with the very long wait for our food and overcooked filet mignon and horrible attitude of the owners. We were seated at 7:00 p.m. and our food did not come out until 8:30 p.m. We were told by the waitress that the kitchen was really backed up. After complaining how long this was taking, the waitress brought our table a round of free drinks (3 drinks, my husband does not drink) and said that our bill would be adjusted.(not knowing what this meant) I ordered my filet mignon medium and when it came out 1 1/2 hours later, there were two thin pieces stacked on top of each other and they were charbroiled. I cut into the top piece and it was well done. I had a few pieces and then gave some to my husband. I did not eat the 2nd piece because at this time it was too late to eat meat. When we got our bill, there was no adjustment made so I asked to speak to the owner. The owners both preceded to argue their case and said that our waiting time was not long and that you have to expect that kind of wait because we ordered lamb and it was the day after Valentines day. Excuses, excuses. Never apologized for the delay in our food coming. they saved my second piece of meat which they cut up to prove that it was medium but totally disregarded the fact that it came out too late and it was not to my liking. This place is over priced and the owners handled the situation horribly. What ever happened to "Customer Satisfaction"?

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank Lori M
bellsmansion1, Owner at Bell's Mansion, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Lori, here at Bell’s Mansion, we do our very best to satisfy every single one of our customers. We understand that you may have arrived hungry and that you felt you waited too long for your entrees to come out. Coming in at 6:30pm with no reservation on a busy Saturday evening we had informed your party of four that the wait for a table would be apx. 30 minutes. After being promptly seated at 7pm – your drinks were on your table at 7:05pm. Once seated, you and your guests have asked to switch tables, at which point with no hesitation we had done our best to make you comfortable (this took another 15-20 minutes). By the time you and your party looked at the menu and decided to order, it was at 7:24pm that your orders were placed. While the one couple had ordered a salad to split as a starter, you and your husband had ordered entrees only, and by 8:30pm all entrees were served. Please understand that prior to receiving your entrees our server had made us aware that you made her uncomfortable, telling her that you have been waiting and waiting for your entrees and asking for complimentary drinks. As soon as you mentioned it, the drinks were at your table.

Once your entrees were received, your waitress had asked how everything was. She had told me you said the filet was well done – although she confirmed that it was most definitely medium as ordered. When she asked if you would like something else instead, you said no.
As the owner of Bell’s Mansion, I am aware of every situation as it arises. We had welcomed over 250 guests that same evening which all had great things to say and understood that while dining with us you will not be in and out within thirty minutes. With entrees that needed to be cooked for a minimum of 25 minutes (medium filet & rack of lamb) we did our best to expedite all entrees.

What happened next? You ran across the restaurant and yelled at me. Literally screaming across the restaurant. Are you aware that you made a scene? Do you know how many guests and surrounding tables approached us to apologize on your behalf? I apologized if you felt that it was too long, however I simply wanted you to understand the timeline of things. I held my head high and stood my ground. I am not in the wrong here. When your server cleared your entrée plates, you had left a small piece of filet to show the chef and myself that it was overcooked, however I personally sliced that filet and kept it to show you that it was perfectly medium. As soon as you saw it, you agreed that it was cooked to medium as you had ordered. Why would I take something off of your bill if you agree that it is cooked perfectly? You did not wait longer than anyone and your steak was perfectly cooked.

You cannot tell me about customer service nor teach me by telling me your father ran a business. I have been successful in this industry for over 15 years. Please do not tell me how to run my business. If you do not like something – than don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

I do not need nor do I appreciate somebody yelling at me in my own home. I do not normally respond to guests in this manor, however I have reached my limit and can only handle so much.

Maria Kaczynski
Blairstown, New Jersey
“BLEACH! Stay Away ...”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Our family of 12 went to Bells Mansion on Feb. 26 to celebrate our father's 80th Birthday. My sister ordered the Chilean sea bass, which tasted like BLEACH! The dish was sent back to the kitchen (after being tasted), and the server offered to bring a different entre (The owner is denying this; really, ask the wait staff who the dish was handed to?). My sister said no thank you, as she had eaten part of someone else's entre. After the bill was received, we asked to have the meal removed (which most restaurants do automatically). The owner would not remove the $27 item from the bill, he indicated the meal was eaten. Um, no, that is a LIE. As we left the restaurant, the owner stood there with a smug look on his face and his arms crossed. Apparently, He was proud to serve us poor quality food. Our family will never return! Very poor customer service.

Visited January 2014
6 Thank Gomer12
“Old World Wonder 1”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We were transformed to the 1840's as we walked into Bell's Mansion. What a beautiful building with all the gorgeous woodwork and antiques. The food was terrific and the menu gave us a wonderful choice of entrees. There are several separate rooms so our group of five adults and three children ( even an eight month old ! ) felt very comfortable. Anna , our server, was a joy. She was so accommodating and gracious. We really enjoyed ourselves and hope to come again !

• Visited November 2013