“A Real Charmer”
Review of Stockton Inn

Stockton Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Stockton Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 13 Restaurants in Stockton
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bridge St
Description: Established in 1710, this is the inn that was immortalized by Richard Rodgers in the song "There's a small hotel with a wishing well" sung in the Broadway play On Your Toes. The inn was first built as a private residence and is believed to have been converted in 1832. Come and explore the over 300 year old Stockton Inn, nestled in the quaint borough of Stockton, New Jersey. Romantic dining is served in the exquisite mural rooms with fireside seating during the colder months. In the warmest months of the year, savor your meal and your surroundings while dining on the patio alongside two waterfalls and beautifully integrated gardens.
Milton, Georgia
“A Real Charmer”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I must admit, not a real fan of that very old traditional look in a restaurant with the ambience of a place that looks as if George Washington made a stopover during his journey. But the Stockton Inn really does have a warm and friendly charm with some very nice dishes to enjoy. We visited the inn back about a year ago with friends just for drinks and bar snacks. Recently we were in the area for a local art show and decided to try it for dinner. We all enjoyed our meals which were nicely prepared and presented. My wife started with the house salad which was fresh and tasty. I started with the Fresh Mozzarella & Grilled Eggplant which I thought was excellent. For the main courses we had the Crab Cakes and the Fennel Rubbed Tenderloin of Pork, both very tasty and not over spiced or over sauced. They even went way out of their way to accommodate one of the folks in our party that is a strict Vegan. Service was very friendly and competent.

• Visited November 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cherry Hill, NJ
“Some of the best food we've had. Service was mediocre.”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We saw this place and decided to try it. We had no preconceived opinions. The food here is some of the best we've had.

My wife had pan seared foie gras for an appetizer. She found it pretty good. She had duck a l'orange and it was perfect as we the vegetables that accompanied it.

I had the best onion soup this side of the Atlantic. Most onion soup is overly salty, but this was not. It was excellent. The soup was followed by some really marvelous shepherd's pie.

This would have gotten five stars but for the service, which was rather slow and our waiter couldn't hear very well. But the service was acceptable.

Highly recommended for the quality and preparation of their food.

• Visited November 2013
Oxford, New Jersey
“Enjoyable Saturday afternoon”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We enjoy visiting the Stockton Inn on a Saturday afternoon after traveling around Bucks County area to visit Rice's Flea Market, Solebury Orchards, Peddler's Village. We end up in Stockton to pop in the indoor Stockton farmers market-delicious food, great vendors, check it out! Also, go into Phillips Fine Wine shop to review their extensive wine selection. They usually have an informal wine tasting set up for Saturdays. Then head over to Stockton Inn for a really great lunch, not sure their official lunch hours (not posted on the website) but we have ordered lunch as late as 3:00. Food is always delicious; love their fish and chips-not soggy or overdone, crisp and light. The wait staff is attentive and helpful, lunch prices are very reasonable. If there is not a wedding going on and the weather is nice, check out the outside patio area to eat or to have drinks afterwards--patio is a very pretty setting.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank DianePotenta
Edison, New Jersey
“New Wedding Policy a Disappointment”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I got married at the Stockton Inn this past June and it was wonderful. The food was great, and Sandy, who was the wedding planner there, was fabulous I am so disappointed to hear about this new policy of no more weddings. I think management is making a big mistake, and I am sorry for all the couples who cannot get married there now.

I agree with many of the other posters here who say the regular menu is a bit overpriced. The food on the regular menu is ok, not great...you are really going for the ambiance here.

This new management seems really insensitive to people who would marry there and return again and again. I know after hearing about this policy and the insensitive way they announced it on their website and how they are now treating people who had contracts that I will be very unlikely to return.

• Visited June 2013
Burbank, CA
“Lots of things need fixed here”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

This place could be so much better with the attention of management, but that seems to be lacking. I don't know if The Stockton Inn is going through a change of ownership, but things are definately off-kilter. The outside courtyard is nice, but when you get inside, it feels dated and drab. It needs updating badly. Service workers seem bored and scarce. I ordered the pasta dish, and was surprised how bland it was, given how expensive it was.

I see by other reviews that the wedding disaster has affected more than just my family. My niece's wedding reservation was abruptly cancelled. She was given no notice, no phone call, nothing. She only found out about it when she went to their website. Again, I come back to the issue of management. Someone is asleep at the wheel. Too bad, because this actually could be turned into a decent restaurant. It is not at the present. Bottom line: overpriced and rude.

There are lots of other really charming places to eat in Stockton.....choose one of those!

• Visited August 2013