“Everything I'd Hoped For”
Review of Woolverton Inn

Woolverton Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Stockton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My husband and I have had back luck with vacations in the past, and we were crossing our fingers that this time we'd gotten it right. Thankfully, we hit the jackpot.

Woolverton is beautiful, in a secluded area off a back road, surrounded by farms and fields and trees. The main house is charming and has a lived-in, homey feel to it, not stuffy at all. They have a lovely selection of baked goods set out in the afternoons, along with tea (hot or cold) and coffee, and there are so many places to sit. It rained our first day so we stayed indoors but the last morning we had breakfast on the patio, and went to sit in the huge adirondack chairs on the lawn to watch the birds and soak in a little sun.

We stayed in the Hunterdon Cottage, which was just phenomenal. There is a gas fireplace and a massive whirlpool tub. I was relieved because both my husband and I have some extra weight on, but we were able to share the tub despite this. ;) The giant two-person shower was convenient and luxurious, and even the toilet had a heated seat and bidet settings controlled by a remote! I couldn't help giggling.

I was concerned about the bed because at home we have a very expensive mattress and often when we're travelling, beds are a challenge. However, the feather mattress was lovely, as were all the pillows that were piled on top of it. I slept like a baby both nights. I loved that we had climate control in the cottage so we were able to turn the AC up and use the fireplace. So relaxing to watch from the bathtub, and the main house had a collection of CDs that we borrowed from to listen to in the room.

We had a couples massage set up for our first night, and it was great. I think the therapist's name was Yvonne, and she was clearly used to setting up in the rooms and handling discreet entrances and exits while we were changing. My mother is a massage therapist, so I have had a lot of massages, and I thought Yvonne was pretty good, although she seemed to lighten up on the deep tissue after the first 15 minutes and went in for more of a "fluff and buff" towards the end. I would have loved more reflexology, but that's a weakness of mine. All in all, we finished the massages feeling super relaxed, and lazed around in the comfy robes for a while before dinner.

We had the sheep cheese platter in our room, which I must confess was a little disappointing for me, but that's mostly because I used to work in a gourmet cheese shop and I think I've been spoiled. For those who aren't familiar with a lot of different cheeses, I think you would enjoy it. The main complaint I had was wishing I knew what each of the cheeses was; perhaps a descriptive card with the platter? I'm a bit of a purist with my cheese and there were a couple oddly flavored styles that seemed like overkill, but that's okay! I tried something new.

Breakfasts were lovely, first day I had a mozzarella and roasted tomato omelette, second day I had a red pepper and glouchester cheese omelette. My husband had lemon ricotta hotcakes and could not stop raving about them, he fell in love. We went to Hamilton Grill Room for lunch one day (which I highly recommend) and Black Bass Hotel for dinner (also lovely, with great views), but there's a reason that the Center Bridge Inn isn't listed in their recommended restaurants. Don't bother; they reel you in with their location, but they're overpriced and have neglectful service and average food.

My husband kept telling me throughout our whole trip what a good job I did choosing the place, and we agreed to go back this winter, for three nights this time. I can't wait. I think Woolverton is really special, the kind of place where you feel at home right away. I look forward to going back.

1  Thank ChubbyPumpkin

Reviewed 1 July 2013

By far the best B & B I have ever stayed at. My husband and I chose one of the cottages, but you can't go wrong with any of the rooms. Carol and Bob make you feel like family. The grounds are magnificent. The sheep friendly. The rooms are plush, clean, and beautifully decorated, including feather pillows, 2-person tubs, great towels and generous bathroom amenities. The breakfasts are gourmet with an accommodating chef. NY Times at your door upon waking up. It's the perfect place to read, relax, unwind and be at peace.

Room Tip: The cottages are especially romantic, private and quiet.
Reviewed 14 June 2013

The Woolverton Inn is definitely located in a quiet, peaceful area in Stockton, NJ, close to the action in New Hope, PA, and Lambertville, NJ. But, it is far enough away to be completely isolated from noise, traffic, and other issues in the busy nearby towns. We stayed in Letitia’s Suite which is on the second floor of the main inn building. In this 1792 building, this suite looks like a combination of two original rooms. The bedroom is probably relatively original. It has a gas fireplace, which we did not use (in the month of June). The other room was converted into a bathroom, one of the larger bathrooms that you will ever find in a Bed & Breakfast. It was very nice, high-quality, and solid. There was a large 2 person Jacuzzi tub, an actual cushioned seating area in the bathroom, and a separate large walk-in steam shower with nozzles both off of the wall and from the ceiling.

The building is old. The wood floors creak in places. There is no retrofitted elevator, so you take the stairs. But, it just adds to the charm of the place in my opinion. If you want elevators and solid modern construction, this just isn’t your place. We found the sound insulation to be reasonably good from within our room, not like a modern big city hotel, but still not bad considering the age of this building.

The grounds are very peaceful, surrounded by grass and trees and sheep. We walked down to the Delaware River towpath, just about a block below the inn property, and walked the towpath. It is a nice place to get some exercise, and the Stockton Market, in the town, is a fun farmer’s market to check out.

The feather bed was interesting. It was fairly comfortable, but had this peculiar hump down the center, almost like a speed bump separating occupant one from occupant two. Anyway, it was soft enough and supportive enough at the same time, but I don’t think I would personally want to own one. You can actually order these from the inn if you are sufficiently smitten.

I think the main issue to decide if you intend to visit the Lambertville or New Hope area is whether you want the place that you stay to be right in the middle of everything (right in town), or whether you want peaceful seclusion. Parking was definitely a challenge in New Hope. Metered slots were hard to come by. There were various parking lots charging by the day, usually $10 to $12, and up to $15 in certain places. On the one hand, it would be nice to be located right in town where you just get up and walk to everything on foot. But, the peaceful seclusion of The Woolverton Inn was very inviting and relaxing.

We did drive north to Frenchtown. That is a cute little town on the New Jersey side of the river, but other than a few shops and restaurants, there is not much there. If you have limited time available, I would just skip Frenchtown and focus on New Hope and Lambertville. You could potentially ride bikes all the way from The Woolverton Inn to Frenchtown, north along the Delaware Canal towpath. You can also ride into Lambertville on the NJ side. We did not do that, but it is a nice flat dirt path. One point of clarification is that bikes can be rented and delivered to the inn. The inn itself does not provide bikes to its guests. Based on prior reviews that I had read, I was expecting a fleet of bikes to be available at the inn, but I was mistaken on that point.

The breakfast at The Woolverton Inn was really excellent. There were generally two choices each morning, a pancake or French toast type of entrée or some type of egg dish, like a frittata for example. Everything was excellent. The price is somewhat high, but they are a well-established inn. The market is there for their high-end product in the New Hope/Lambertville area. The hosts and all of the staff were really friendly and helpful as others have pointed out.

2  Thank HiddenGem2010
Reviewed 11 June 2013

What a delightful place to stay! We originally chose the Stockton Hideaway room on the third floor, but on arrival received an "upgrade" to the second floor Amelia's suite. Both of the inn's owners Carolyn and Bob went out of their way to be acommodating. The location is terrific, quiet, bucolic surroundings, yet very accessible to everything the area has to offer. Spacious, attractively furnished rooms, comfortable sitting room for guests to mingle. A first rate breakfast, with ample portions, lots of choices to fit all dietary needs. We plan on a return visit.

Room Tip: The Amelia Suite is an excellent choice for a good night's sleep. Very comfortable bed and quiet...
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Very nice, Quite little place. Exactly what a bed and breakfast inn should be. Excellent service, very accommodating. The room we had was a nice mix of modern and old fashion. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

It had been 29 years since we spent our wedding night at the Woolverton Inn. We decided to spend an overnight at this beautiful, quiet and serene inn to celebrate our anniversary. Our suite was beyond expectations. We had a lovely king sized feather bed in front of a gas fire. We were able to sleep with the windows open and hear virtually nothing until the morning birds. We also had a huge bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and sitting area with all amenities supplied. The steam/shower was separate and every bit as lovely. Breakfast was delicious. The service is warm, friendly and they think of everything. I don't think we'll wait another 29 years -- we will most go back yearly. We had a wonderful visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caryl H
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This lovely B&B hidden away off the river road on the New Jersey side of the Delaware is a very special place. Sheep grazing just outside your room window and just plain lovely surroundings. Hunterdon Suite very spepcial...includes your own entrance and a lovely screened kin poarch to sit and eat outside in the good weather...room spacious and excellent decor..fireplace sunken spa tub and large walk in shower. No TV so clomplete peace and quiet. A place to spend time alone with that very special person in your life. Well worth the stay and excvellent plus plus breakfast served in your room or at the main house.

Room Tip: have stayed here three times and each was perfect..Owers are lovely and very caring
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CFT_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockton
The Lambertville House Hotel
Fox and Hound Bed and Breakfast of New Hope
Bridgeton House on the Delaware
Bridgeton House on the Delaware
#1 of 1 in Upper Black Eddy

Been to Woolverton Inn? Share your experiences!