“Wonderful, relaxing inn”

Ranked #1 of 1 Stockton B&B and Inns
Philly area
“Wonderful, relaxing inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Woolverton Inn for two nights following our wedding this month, and we had a wonderful, relaxing stay. We stayed on the third floor of the main house in Newell's Library. Very clean and comfortable room (book-lined walls!) with a king sized-bed, gas fireplace/stove, and smallish bathroom (no tub, shower only--fine with us). We basically had two peaceful days away from the outside world to relax and spend time together.

Things we loved--clean, cozy, lots of character, beautiful building and grounds (wonderful for strolling), sheep!, absolutely delicious breakfast (in bed, no less), afternoon snacks, complimentary beverages, friendly staff.

I have to take a moment to reiterate about the breakfast--it was truly, absolutely awesome. Fresh fruit, baked item of some sort, fresh squeezed OJ, coffee or tea, selection of two yummy entrees each day (during our stay--Grand Marnier french toast, eggs florentine with smoked salmon, lemon blueberry pancakes, sun-dried tomato omlette). Probably the best breakfast I have ever had.

Concerns (and these did not affect our enjoyment at all)--thin walls and/or gap under the door (you can hear people in the hall--I will assume they could hear you in your room), unable to access the wifi in our third floor room (no problems on the main floor though).

We have already decided that we will return to the Woolverton for our one year anniversary. What a lovely find!

• Liked — ambience, breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fourseat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Passaic County, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2008

My husband and I went to the Woolverton Inn May 2-May 4 to celebrate our 4 year anniversary (which is the 15th). We drove up a gravel road to a beautiful inn. After parking the car, we made our way to the main house to check in. On the way to the main house, we noticed the sheep the yard. There is a sheep pasture.

We checked in. We had The Hunterdon Cottage. It was amazing. It had a whirlpool tub for two, a two stall shower, and a gas fireplace. When you looked out the window, the sheep were right there grazing. You can also hear them sometimes early morning.

There aren't any TVs. They provide you a clock radio with a CD player. They also provide you a mini fridge with water and soda free of charge. The room has bathrobes and spa towels. The bed was a king size featherbed. The Hunterdon also had a screened in porch.

The breakfast was great. One morning you had a choice of a frittada (sp?) with mushrooms, feta cheese, and tomatoes or waffles. Both were served with apple smoke bacon, organge juice, coffee, tea, and hot choolate. Before serving breakfast they offer a fruit cup and some sort of pastry. The pina colada scones were to die for. The next day they offered banana blueberry bread.

It was a great relaxing weekend. The only downfall was we had to drive to Lambertville and New Hope. It is not within walking distance. It took about 5-7 minutes to get there.

• Liked — The breakfast, serenity, and sheep pasture
  • Disliked — Having to drive to Lambertville & New Hope
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Manassas, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2008

I saw an ad or a story about this Inn in a magazine or newspaper a while back and wrote down the website for future reference because it looked like a nice place to stay. I was not disappointed.

This Inn is on a quiet little street (emphasis on quiet) high above the main road through town. There is plenty of parking. There are sheep in the yard as well as deer roaming the grounds at night (be careful and drive slow when you drive up in the dark as they go flying past you). There is a porch with tables, chairs and rocking chairs. When I arrived it was just starting to get warm out and they were in the process of changing out the windows and screens. The porch could use a good power-washing so I am sure it's on the list of Spring Cleaning and just hadn't been done yet for my visit. This is a very old house, so the floors creak, the doors creak and are hard to open and close. So when people get up in the middle of the night above or below you, people can hear it as the rooms are very close together. I use a white noise machine, so it was fine for me, but if you are a light sleeper, this may be an issue for you.

The doors to the Inn are open all night long and are never locked. The only locks are on your bedroom door. There is no Innkeeper on the premises overnight. There is someone here at 7:30-10:30 am for breakfast and cleaning of rooms and then someone is here from 3pm-6pm for check-in. An Innkeeper can be summoned by using the intercom in the closet (they point this out to you upon arrival).

The house is very large. The entry room and the main living room are beautifully decorated with comfortable furniture.

The Dining Area/Food

The dining area is set up with lots of small tables so you are able to dine alone at your table or chat with others. You can also have your breakfast brought to your room or eat on the porch if you prefer. The breakfast menu is posted on the wall in a frame the evening before. The food is very good. Standard B&B fare (gourmet French toast, pancakes, omlettes, home-made granola and yogurt, etc.). At 3pm they put out fresh-baked cookies and have hot water for tea or hot chocolate (no coffee, not even instant and no cream, however, I foraged into the kitchen and found the half and half for my tea and the Innkeeper didn't seem to mind). There are Innkeepers and other staff around. It's hard to know who's who as nobody introduced themselves to me, but everyone is very nice and friendly and make you feel like it's your house.

The Rooms

I stayed in the Dorothy Room (Blue). This room is extremely tiny for one person. By putting my suitcase in the room, I was barely able to get in and out of the bathroom. I DO NOT recommend this room for two people. It has a double bed, nice linens and a bathroom inside the room. I did not see the Primrose Room because it was locked, but that has a bathroom across the hall (private, but still it's across the hall). This room could use refreshing. The house is very, very old, so there is a lot of plaster cracks and the like, but it looks like it's a room that has not been re-done since they bought the house.

I was able to look at some of the other rooms and they are all beautifully decorated and look recently painted/wallpapered/carpeted. Much nicer than the Dorothy Room.

There are 3 levels to this house. My room was on the third floor. There is no elevator, so find out what floor your room is on before you pack your bags. It is hard to carry a very heavy suitcase up 3 very narrow flights of stairs with short steps. I almost lost my balance several times.

Heat/Air Conditioning

It looks like all the rooms are heated by oil or gas radiators. From what I can tell there is no central air in this house. It is possible they have window units for the summer time. You should confirm this before making a reservation. When I was here in April, the temperature was mild, so it wasn't an issue. Most rooms seem to have ceiling fans though.

TV, GPS, Internet, Cell Phone

There is no TV at all in this Inn (which means no VHS/DVDs either). I had no problem finding this Inn with my GPS (VZNavigator), nor with navigating all around the Chalfont, New Hope, Doylestown areas. The Inn has wireless unsecured internet and I was able to access it out on the porch, the main room and my guest room with no problems. I had great cell coverage throughout the Inn (Verizon). Other guests with laptops and cellphones also seemed to be fairing well.

Things To Do

Definitely use the Inn's webpage for information on things to do.

I visited Peddler's Village, Crossings Vineyard, The Sandcastle Vineyard, Philadelphia Park Raceway and Casino, Washington Crossing Historical Park, and theTalking Teacup Tea Room in Chalfont.

• Liked — The porch
  • Disliked — Very small room
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank VaBelle35
Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2008

All aspects of this beautiful bed and breakfast exceeded our expectations! We spent 3 days and 2 nights at the Woolverton Inn in their Garden Cottage room. From booking thru checkout, all interaction with the inn keepers and employees were professional and inviting. The breakfast was delicious and plentiful and the afternoon snacks were a very welcome treat! Though our stay was short and we wish we could have stayed longer, we were very happy with our experience--we even had one small issue that was addressed promptly and professionally which really showed us what type of operation they were running: a gorgeous 18th century bed and breakfast with 21st century amenities, service, and professionalism.

• Liked — The location and service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
northern new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2008

it's almost dumb to write this because it's been so long but making a reservation for this valentine's day reminded me of our last:

FABULOUS: the scenic nature of this estate is gorgeous, there's a picturesque but short drive from the main road that introduces you to the property, gorgeous and bucolic. Bob was extremely welcoming and helpful and even gave us an innkeeper's guidebook that has allowed us to continue our b&b valentine tradition. the room - gorgeous, country without being kitschy, the featherbed, OMG i wanna live in feathers - there's an exit to a private garden patio - uber-charming. the best part of our stay (actually i can't tell ya'll bout the best part, :) this was a close second) was stumbling upon a guestbook in the secretary with entries from every guest that has stayed in that room before, it was like finding a delicious little historical secret and we added our own entry. i can't even believe i was about to end here without talking about the jacuzzi. honey that tub was worth the entire stay! Lily's in Lambertville - i'm not a foodie, but you will die twice over these desserts (ask to be seated upstairs where you can overlook the centered kitchen).

ODD: my boyfriend and i went during one of the busiest 2-day stretches in hospitality and if there was another soul in the whole place i'd be shocked. now it's the dead of winter so not even the sheep were trying to mess with anybody and call it my lack of research but it never occurred to us to ask to feed em. i love b&bs and maybe i just like more interaction but the feeling we got was total desertion/isolation. while we're on odd, we had breakfast delivered to our room - the Garden Cottage - and the ladies who were kind enough to bring it out seemed weirdly surprised to see me (they were talking as they came to the door) and stopped midsentence in an Oh My kinda way when i opened the door (yes, i was dressed) i thanked them for bringing our tray out (delicious food by the way, that goes in the fabulous column) but it was just a very weirdamundo vibe, not rude or unwelcoming exactly but the way you'd react to someone who just farted in church. now we love to travel and when we do, we go high end so i've gotten the look before, especially in relation to being somewhere i'm not expected to be (we're not caucasian) that's an observation not an accusation, i simply know under which context i've seen that expression before. no harm, no foul, just weird.

ANNOYING: The Garden Cottage is beneath a private apartment - when we checked in, the occupant wasn't home, she returned that night. You won't find a more romantic setting, we've got a double jacuzzi, gas fireplace, private terrace and it's FEBRUARY 14TH ya'll! All we can concentrate on are footsteps back and forth across the ceiling and things banging and clanging upstairs. We made a game of it by seeing which of us could guess the closest interval until the next clang/bang (he won). We talked to Bob the next morning about changing rooms for the remainder of our stay - he was a sweetheart about accommodating us and said if we wanted to stay in our room, he'd talk to the lady upstairs. He must have because February 15th was better.

The Woolverton itself - excellent. The experience - hmmm. We'd go back for a different season and different room and in an effort to be less hermit-like, we'd come to breakfast instead of it coming to us.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank sultryzulu
Pottstown, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2008

What a special destination! My boyfriend and I stayed in the Sojourn Loft for two nights. The loft was gorgeous, well appointed, spotless and romantic. Fresh flowers on the fireside table, complimentary candles, bathrobes and bath salts were just some of the highlights! The bed was so comfortable, it's no stretch of the imagination to call it downright addictive!
The owners were friendly, helpful and gracious. We asked to feed the sheep and were treated to an amusing 20 minutes of greedy, fuzzy friends bleating at one another to get at the food. Adorable. The setting is quiet and peaceful. We felt like we might be the only people for miles.
We spent a wonderful day in New Hope, shopping and lunching.
I HIGHLY recommend this Inn for couples looking for romance in a peaceful setting!

• Liked — The wonderul room, feeding the sheep, and the delicious in room breakfast!
  • Disliked — That we couldn't afford to stay longer!
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
Fair Lawn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2007

My wife and I spent two nights at the Woolverton Inn during the midweek between Christmas and New Year's Day. In terms of accommodations, hospitality and food, the inn is outstanding. We stayed in Leticia's Suite where we enjoyed not only the cozy room and fireplace but also two separate rooms comprised in the suite containing a huge spa-like jacuzzi and a separate steam shower room. How luxurious!! The breakfasts, prepared by an in-house chef, were served by the ever-friendly owner. The ambiance in the inn and the beautful grounds and farmhouse setting added to the feeling that we were indeed in a secluded world away form the hustle and bustle of our normal routines. We also enjoyed a candlelight dinner with excellent food at the Sergeantsville Inn and a lively meal at Bell's Tavern in Lambertville, a popular local favorite. All in all, a wonderful couple of days- we cannot wait to return!

• Liked — Elegance, cleanliness, fireplace and ensuite jacuzzi and steam shower
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockton
The Lambertville House Hotel
Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn
Bridgeton House on the Delaware
Bridgeton House on the Delaware
#1 of 1 in Upper Black Eddy

Been to Woolverton Inn? Share your experiences!