“Our Daughter's Dream Come True Wedding at The Reeds”

The Reeds at Shelter Haven
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Stone Harbor
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Our daughter's wedding was held at The Reeds this past Saturday. The only word to describe it was "Perfection!" We booked the wedding with Julie, the sales manager last January, when there was only a foundation. Needless to say, we were a little nervous. However, Julie's presentation was wonderful and we felt confident it was going to be a fantastic holel. Our event planner, Leslie took over and was outstanding. We had numerous meetings and phone calls and she took care of every single detail. Every guest raved about The Reeds, from the hotel to the appetizers, dinner, cake and brunch the next morning. Many guests said that the entire weekend at The Reeds was "Magical." Best of all, my daughter, Megan and her husband, Drew, had the "Best night of their lives." Thank you Julie, Leslie and the entire staff of The Reeds!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Barbara, thanks for taking the time to write us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that your daughter's wedding was exactly what you dreamed it would be. We love to hear the word "magical" because we really do strive to create an unforgettable experience. Thanks again for your recommendations and we hope to see you and the family back again soon.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Our family recently hosted a wedding at The Reeds Hotel At Shelter Haven in Stone Harbor, NJ. We had both the ceremony and the reception at the hotel. The wedding was magnificent. It was even more beautiful than we imagined. The event coordinator was just amazing. The service was 5 star. I have been receiving calls from family & friends telling me it was the best wedding they have ever been to. As the mother of the bride I expected it to be somewhat of a stressful situation, when actually it was the complete opposite. From the moment we arrived on Friday, the day before the wedding, everyone was so accommodating. All of the employees were professional, yet so down to earth. Between our event coordinator & all of the guest services representatives there was nothing left for us to do but enjoy & savor our beautiful weekend. I could go on & on about this magical weekend. Needless to say this hotel will be our go to place for other events & vacations.

Room Tip: There was a group of us with a few different rooms. Every room was perfect.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thanks for the wonderful feedback! I'm thrilled to hear that you had such a great time with us for your daughter's wedding. As the Mother of the bride, you shouldn't have to worry about minor details and instead should be free to entertain your guests. I'm glad that we were able to make the process as smooth as possible. We appreciate all of your recommendations and can't wait to host your next event!

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We just had our daughter's wedding at the Reeds and had numerous friends and family stay at the hotel. The whole experience was fantastic. The rooms were really well done. The service, while not yet 5 star was very very friendly and helpful and place is beautiful.

1  Thank steve s
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Steve, thanks for taking the time to give us some much appreciated kudos! I'm thrilled to hear that you thought the whole wedding experience to be fantastic and the surroundings beautiful. We appreciate your wonderful feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is a beautiful property AND the type of venue that the south Jersey Shore - heck all of the Jersey Shore - could use about 15 more of. The architecture is gorgeous.. The rooms are nice..very upscale, beds are super comfy with high thread count sheets and lots of pillows (but don't let the website pics mislead you) a town view is NOTHING like the bay view and substantially changes the feel of your stay. I would say though, that what I paid for the town view was about what you would pay for a WIldwood hotel room in season, so I didn't mind that too much.

Here's the thing about the Reeds. They allow wedding receptions. LOUD ones. I walked in for my reservation on Friday night to such a din that it took me about 4 hours to adjust my expectations of the place. (I had been very psyched to happen upon the place via booking.com when heading down for a quick stay.) This particular night, the wedding party had rented out almost all of the venues in the Inn (rooftop bar included) and people were everywhere almost like the whole place had been taken over by a wedding reception. My next door neighbors were a suite full of wedding-related merry makers and I could hear the hootin' and hollerin'. Things did calm down around 11 pm. I understand the wedding receptions are very frequent happenings at the Reeds.

Aside from all of that, the property has a lot of promise. I didn't try the food but the restaurants look very worth a try. Had a nice glass of Cooper Creek Sauv Blanc at the bar...nice bartenders and beautiful lounge right on the street level which gave it an urban oasis feeling I really liked. There is complimentary valet for your car - nice boys there - and one of the best things was in the morning, when I was leaving, there was a complimentary coffee bar set up. Unfortunately, the high test urn was empty. So I walked into the restaurant to alert them, and a nice lady went and got me a cup from the kitchen With a smile. That is the kind of service that will get you to come back.

I don't know what to do about the wedding situation. I'd like to come back (thus the high marks on the overall) and give it another try, but I would want it to be on a reception free night. But mid week isn't a possibility. I mean, can you imaging rolling up to the Virginia in Cape May only to hear a cover band jamming out "Celebration" full blast? I think they need to find a way to remedy this. No other complaints....

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank nyme
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Thanks for taking the time to leave us some very valuable feedback and sharing the highlights of your stay. We do host a lot of weddings, but we never want it to come at the expense of our hotel guests. While it can be difficult to quell the merriment of the occasion, we can certainly do everything in our power to ensure that guests like yourself have an enjoyable stay with us - exceeding expectations is always our first priority. Thanks again for the review and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 4 October 2013

A last minute late September break, staying at the Reeds Hotel was a pleasure.
The entrance was more New York than Stone Harbor, we arrived and our car was whisked away. Since we were early we had expected to walk around the town before we could have our room but we were able to check in. I had tried to have a bay sized room but were unable, I suggest that would be a must as the town view was a little noisy and we did not use the small balcony.

The room inside was perfect, lovely bare wood floors and attractive furnishings. I suppose since it was a late booking, our room was across from the breakfast area so on entering and departing our room the food smells were not pleasant, it was also across from the small pool area so in the height of summer that would be a concern.

The bay side lounge and bar was so pretty with a view that mesmerized. Large sofas where we could read were a nice place to relax.
The hotel is quite far from the ocean but since the weather was not good we never used this free transport down to the beach. We walked down a few times but I would not like to have had to carry any beach items that far.

I commend the staff for their service especially the valets who were helpful as since our room had no information on the area (except for their two restaurants) or the hotel they were the ones who told us about the transport to the beach!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Michele, thanks for taking the time to write us a review. I'm so happy to hear that you loved your room as well as our lounge and bar. The view this time of year is particularly enchanting and I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of it. As for the other little touches such as beach transport and room locations, it's great feedback and I will make sure to relay it to the appropriate staff. Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

By far the nicest accommodations in Stone Harbor. The hotel rooms were beautiful w/ a great view of the bay. The restaurant indoor and out was beautifully done and had some delicious meals to compliment the ambianceThe staff was attentive and friendly.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dave M
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Dave, thanks for taking the time to write us such a nice review. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, from the food all the way to the ambiance. We appreciate your business and we hope to host you again soon.

Cem Erenler - General Manager

Reviewed 12 September 2013

My husband and I were very excited to see the new hotel completed on this property and like everyone else who read the reviews was very excited about the opportunity to book a weekend at The Reeds. The week before we were scheduled to come to the hotel they informed us that the Water Star Grill would be closed on Friday from 1P-7PM and again Saturday from 2P-6P for weddings. In addition, the roof top garden would also be closed Friday night from 5-9Pm due to a reception and again on Saturday from 7-10. We were a little surprised at the late notice however, we figured that by the time we arrived Friday the wedding would be over and that the inconvenience on Saturday of only 4 hrs would not be so bad.
We arrived Friday evening and were pleasantly surprised to receive a voucher for free breakfast for the inconvenience of the grill being closed. Very nice touch. By the time we arrived the wedding was inside the ballroom- which opens to the outside dining areas facing the bay. We arrived to our room and the bellman put all the luggage in the living room (we had a corner suite- bayview). I asked that he put the larger piece of luggage in the bedroom, He obliged only to leave the luggage laying flat on the floor. I asked if there was a luggage rack to which he responded "I always forget about that". Small issue did not think too much more about it. My next step was to go out to the balcony to catch the beautiful sunset. I immediately noticed that one of the chairs on the balcony had some sticky reddish stuff on the chair. Obviously housekeeping did not clean the balcony or wipe the chair. Again, minor issue- we cleaned it ourselves. After the sunset we ventured to the lobby bar where we met Edward the bartender who was very nice and made a very good martini. However as we sat at the bar we soon realized that every time the door from the ballroom opened the lobby bar was filled with very loud music.
We decided to have dinner outside at the Water Star Grill. What a disappointment? Very blah and certainly not very relaxing as you had to talk over the noise from the wedding music. By this time we decide to head to our room to relax on our balcony. Well so much for relaxing- the music was constant (as the ballroom doors were all opened facing the bay side). We gave up and went inside.
Saturday AM was a beautiful day, we went to the complimentary breakfast and it was excellent. Staff very nice nice. Food was very good. We went back to our room where I read a book while my husband took a nap. The housekeeper knocked on the door approximately 11:45AM, I asked if she could come back as my husband was resting, She informed me she would be leaving at 12:30 but there would be someone else available to clean our room. About 1PM we decided to take a walk but realized before we left that our bathroom toilet was not flushing. On our way out we stopped in the lobby to request housekeeping services and to inform then the toilet was not working properly. We returned at 3PM to find that housekeeping had still not arrived and the toilet was still backed up. I called the front desk and was told that they housekeepers were cleaning all the checkout rooms so they could checkin the new guests. I understood that was their priority and only asked that the maintenance come and fix our toilet. He finally showed up and not only tried plunging and snaking the toilet but had to readjust the water levels to allow for sufficient water pressure to flush. All seemed OK. We showered with what few towels we still had left in our room as it was now 5PM and we had dinner reservations at 7PM. We left for dinner and went dancing at the Windrift. After arriving back to our room- once again we had no housekeeping service- it is now 12:30AM. I called the front desk and they came up to the room to check it. The kitchen area still had dirty cups and glasses in the sink, trash in the can, and towels on the bathroom floor. She apologized and said she would try and find some towels. I also asked about a late checkout and was told she could only authorize a 12N checkout. She was very nice but clearly was unable to make these decisions. At some point the Food and Beverage Manager also showed up in our room. She apologized and offered us a complimentary brunch the next day in the ballroom. She also went and found us some towels and removed the dirty glasses. She also suggested I contact the front desk in the AM to see if we would be able to stay a bit later. She did try and accommodate us as best she could.
The next morning as I was packing my suitcase, there was a knock on the door and a man is standing there telling us we should have been checked out. I informed him of the issues from the previous night and that were were told we could stay until 12N- he acted surprised and then asked if I would like the bellman to come up and get our luggage. I informed him that it was not yet 12N and my husband was in the shower. We would call the bellman when we were done. Well at this point my husbamd comes out of the bathroom and informs we the toilet is backed up again. We both finished packing and decided to leave rather than ask for any extension of our stay- at this point it was pure frustration. We had out luggage loaded into the car and went back to check out and go to the brunch. I was informed at the front desk that the GM wanted to speak with me about our experience.
We were seated outside for the brunch- a beautiful day with a nice breeze, although it was a land breeze, I went into the open ballroom (doors are all open to the bay) where they had a large display of food and the flies were everywhere, all over the open food and the walls. I made a comment to the chef cooking the omlettes to which he replied " yeah it happens when there is a land breeze" and continued swatting the flies off the food. There was a simple solution- close the doors and minimize the flies all over the food- the view from the ballroom would be compromised but there was no one sitting in the ballroom. Next my husband served himself some scrambled eggs and noticed that they were green, He checks with the chef who tells him that they use limes in their eggs and sometimes when they sit for awhile the green will start to show in the eggs??? Anyhow he took the eggs from my husband and the entire sterno to the kitchen and brought a new sterno of eggs.
As we finish our brunch the GM comes to see us and we explain all the the above to him. My main concern, as I explained to him, was the lack of attention to detail and certainly for the money we paid the experience was not acceptable. My husband and I frequent luxury hotels and don't mind paying the money but always received excellent service, The Reeds portrays themselves as one of those luxury hotels and it is far from it. He apologized and seemed very sincere. He offered to make an adjustment to our bill and asked that I call him personally when we come again and he would make sure he took care of us. We thanked him and felt like he understood and would address these concerns. Well it is 4 days since that conversation. The bill for our stay remained the same- no adjustment was made. So obviously the GM is all talk but does not follow through on his promises.
As we finished speaking with the GM the waitress came to our table and dropped off a $53 bill for brunch (are you kidding me- it is obvious even when trying to do service recovery the communication is poor and they fail) If you go you might want to bring your own tissues as the hotel never even provided a tissue in our room. As my husband points out even a Motel 6 provides tissues.
So word of caution- it is a very nice place- beautifully decorated, rooms are very nice, views are great. Service very poor and even worse a GM who listens but does nothing to make it right! SO beware. The price you pay will not be worth the experience. They seem to be catering to the wedding crowds- which is OK- but if you are looking to get away for a quiet. relaxing time, probably not going to happen a the Reeds, if there is a wedding.
It's ashame as we have family who live at the shore and would have loved to be able to stay at this hotel during future stays but I would think twice about that after our stay this past weekend. NOT WORTH THE PRICE THEY CHARGE!! If they don't change the way they do business once the hype is over they too will be history- which would be very sad.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mpjps
JulieY20, General Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Hello,

Thank you so much for your feedback. It was lovely talking with you during your stay so that we could address your concerns. All adjustments for your stay were made on the day we spoke - the bank does take a couple of days to credit refunds, so I do hope that you received it by now as everything was taken care of immediately as promised. We're always enhancing and improving our guest services and accommodations, thanks in part to feedback like yours. We'd love to have you back, so please contact me directly about a future stay at The Reeds.

Cem Erenler, General Manager

#4 of 6 in Stone Harbor
The Concord Suites
The Concord Suites
#2 of 5 in Avalon

Been to The Reeds at Shelter Haven? Share your experiences!