“Disorganized”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Stone Harbor
Cape May Court House, New Jersey
“Disorganized”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Hotel is beautiful and a welcome and needed addition to Stone Harbor. From opening week when they ran out of wine to spotty service in food venues they seem disorganized and mismanaged. Two weeks until Christmas and they have no menu for dinner yet. Undecided what they're going to do. That means I have to decide to go elsewhere. I need to make my plans for the day and can't wait on them. Sorry, I was looking forward to quiet dinner with my wife but really unheard of that a restaurant doesn't have plan in place 2 weeks prior to major holiday.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We actually just completed our pre fixe menu for Christmas and are now accepting reservations. We would love to accommodate you and your wife so please contact as soon as possible to reserve your date and time, as we are receiving many requests. If we don’t get to see you, we wish you a very happy and healthy holiday season.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
South Amboy, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is a top-notch venue for weddings. The staff bends over backwards to assist in every aspect. I highly recommend. The amenities are excellent. Location couldn't get any better. Close to everything in Stone Harbor. Walk to the beach or meals. Great views of the bay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael E
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Michael, We're thrilled that you enjoyed everything from our ambiance to our service while at The Reeds. We really appreciate your recommendations and hopefully we will see you back in again soon.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Our daughter's wedding was held at The Reeds this past Saturday. The only word to describe it was "Perfection!" We booked the wedding with Julie, the sales manager last January, when there was only a foundation. Needless to say, we were a little nervous. However, Julie's presentation was wonderful and we felt confident it was going to be a fantastic holel. Our event planner, Leslie took over and was outstanding. We had numerous meetings and phone calls and she took care of every single detail. Every guest raved about The Reeds, from the hotel to the appetizers, dinner, cake and brunch the next morning. Many guests said that the entire weekend at The Reeds was "Magical." Best of all, my daughter, Megan and her husband, Drew, had the "Best night of their lives." Thank you Julie, Leslie and the entire staff of The Reeds!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Barbara, thanks for taking the time to write us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that your daughter's wedding was exactly what you dreamed it would be. We love to hear the word "magical" because we really do strive to create an unforgettable experience. Thanks again for your recommendations and we hope to see you and the family back again soon.

clayton
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Our family recently hosted a wedding at The Reeds Hotel At Shelter Haven in Stone Harbor, NJ. We had both the ceremony and the reception at the hotel. The wedding was magnificent. It was even more beautiful than we imagined. The event coordinator was just amazing. The service was 5 star. I have been receiving calls from family & friends telling me it was the best wedding they have ever been to. As the mother of the bride I expected it to be somewhat of a stressful situation, when actually it was the complete opposite. From the moment we arrived on Friday, the day before the wedding, everyone was so accommodating. All of the employees were professional, yet so down to earth. Between our event coordinator & all of the guest services representatives there was nothing left for us to do but enjoy & savor our beautiful weekend. I could go on & on about this magical weekend. Needless to say this hotel will be our go to place for other events & vacations.

Room Tip: There was a group of us with a few different rooms. Every room was perfect.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thanks for the wonderful feedback! I'm thrilled to hear that you had such a great time with us for your daughter's wedding. As the Mother of the bride, you shouldn't have to worry about minor details and instead should be free to entertain your guests. I'm glad that we were able to make the process as smooth as possible. We appreciate all of your recommendations and can't wait to host your next event!

Malvern, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We just had our daughter's wedding at the Reeds and had numerous friends and family stay at the hotel. The whole experience was fantastic. The rooms were really well done. The service, while not yet 5 star was very very friendly and helpful and place is beautiful.

1 Thank steve s
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Steve, thanks for taking the time to give us some much appreciated kudos! I'm thrilled to hear that you thought the whole wedding experience to be fantastic and the surroundings beautiful. We appreciate your wonderful feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

ny
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is a beautiful property AND the type of venue that the south Jersey Shore - heck all of the Jersey Shore - could use about 15 more of. The architecture is gorgeous.. The rooms are nice..very upscale, beds are super comfy with high thread count sheets and lots of pillows (but don't let the website pics mislead you) a town view is NOTHING like the bay view and substantially changes the feel of your stay. I would say though, that what I paid for the town view was about what you would pay for a WIldwood hotel room in season, so I didn't mind that too much.

Here's the thing about the Reeds. They allow wedding receptions. LOUD ones. I walked in for my reservation on Friday night to such a din that it took me about 4 hours to adjust my expectations of the place. (I had been very psyched to happen upon the place via booking.com when heading down for a quick stay.) This particular night, the wedding party had rented out almost all of the venues in the Inn (rooftop bar included) and people were everywhere almost like the whole place had been taken over by a wedding reception. My next door neighbors were a suite full of wedding-related merry makers and I could hear the hootin' and hollerin'. Things did calm down around 11 pm. I understand the wedding receptions are very frequent happenings at the Reeds.

Aside from all of that, the property has a lot of promise. I didn't try the food but the restaurants look very worth a try. Had a nice glass of Cooper Creek Sauv Blanc at the bar...nice bartenders and beautiful lounge right on the street level which gave it an urban oasis feeling I really liked. There is complimentary valet for your car - nice boys there - and one of the best things was in the morning, when I was leaving, there was a complimentary coffee bar set up. Unfortunately, the high test urn was empty. So I walked into the restaurant to alert them, and a nice lady went and got me a cup from the kitchen With a smile. That is the kind of service that will get you to come back.

I don't know what to do about the wedding situation. I'd like to come back (thus the high marks on the overall) and give it another try, but I would want it to be on a reception free night. But mid week isn't a possibility. I mean, can you imaging rolling up to the Virginia in Cape May only to hear a cover band jamming out "Celebration" full blast? I think they need to find a way to remedy this. No other complaints....

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank nyme
JulieY20, Manager at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thanks for taking the time to leave us some very valuable feedback and sharing the highlights of your stay. We do host a lot of weddings, but we never want it to come at the expense of our hotel guests. While it can be difficult to quell the merriment of the occasion, we can certainly do everything in our power to ensure that guests like yourself have an enjoyable stay with us - exceeding expectations is always our first priority. Thanks again for the review and we look forward to your next visit!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 October 2013

A last minute late September break, staying at the Reeds Hotel was a pleasure.
The entrance was more New York than Stone Harbor, we arrived and our car was whisked away. Since we were early we had expected to walk around the town before we could have our room but we were able to check in. I had tried to have a bay sized room but were unable, I suggest that would be a must as the town view was a little noisy and we did not use the small balcony.

The room inside was perfect, lovely bare wood floors and attractive furnishings. I suppose since it was a late booking, our room was across from the breakfast area so on entering and departing our room the food smells were not pleasant, it was also across from the small pool area so in the height of summer that would be a concern.

The bay side lounge and bar was so pretty with a view that mesmerized. Large sofas where we could read were a nice place to relax.
The hotel is quite far from the ocean but since the weather was not good we never used this free transport down to the beach. We walked down a few times but I would not like to have had to carry any beach items that far.

I commend the staff for their service especially the valets who were helpful as since our room had no information on the area (except for their two restaurants) or the hotel they were the ones who told us about the transport to the beach!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Michele, thanks for taking the time to write us a review. I'm so happy to hear that you loved your room as well as our lounge and bar. The view this time of year is particularly enchanting and I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of it. As for the other little touches such as beach transport and room locations, it's great feedback and I will make sure to relay it to the appropriate staff. Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone Harbor
#4 of 37 in Cape May
Icona Cape May
Icona Cape May
#1 of 37 in Cape May

Been to The Reeds at Shelter Haven? Share your experiences!