“Fantastic Stone Harbor Experience”

The Reeds at Shelter Haven
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Stone Harbor
New Jersey, USA
“Fantastic Stone Harbor Experience”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This new luxury boutique hotel certainly exceeded expectations. We spent an anniversary weekend here and had an enjoyable experience. The rooms offer bay or town views; we had a corner room with a bay window that provided a great view of the sunrise from our sumptuous king sized bed. The decor is tasteful and minimalistic; our room had a fireplace. The service was typical of any five star property and we will certainly return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JimD_NinaD
JulieY20, Julie Yeager, Director of Sales at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thanks for sharing your fantastic five-star experience with others, Jim! We're honored that you chose to spend your anniversary weekend with us, and that you had such a wonderful experience to boot. Hearing that means a lot to us, and we hope we'll get the chance to welcome you back again soon!

Julie Yeager, Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed on May 3 and May 4. First of all , it is built on a tiny corner city block, but is on the bay. We couldn't find where to park.., because they have mandatory valet parking. You pull up in the street, stop traffic, and unload. We were not prepared to tip a valet every time we needed our car. But that's how it's done. We got to know Harrison or Harris, Robert and Roland pretty well. They were understanding and kind in spite of us not tipping except a couple of times. We thanked them a lot. We don't carry cash.
Entering the hotel, we squeezed through a narrow entrance way and bar past a crowd to check in. Very hectic.
We got our room on the second floor. It was bay front as specified, but it over looked everyone's weddings and receptions going on the whole weekend. And it overlooked several backyards that butted up against the property. You had to completely close your window shades for privacy or there was none. So much for looking at the bay. The room was nice, not luxurious . The bed was too soft and the bathroom was very small ;there was no place to put anything in the bathroom but there was a large countertop in the room. The shower was very slippery.
There were cute seashell pictures and decorations, but for 300.00 a night, it was a disappointment. We never pay that for a room anywhere so we had high expectations. It was also very noisy at night. You could hear music blasting, but thankfully ended at 10:00 pm. We thought that for 300.00 one might get breakfast in the morning , but not included. We went to the Pancake place across the street. It was delicious, but a bit pricy. Another thing is they have a very nice keurig coffee pot in the room for coffee. There was 2 bottles of water, the brand called Voss. I called the desk to see if there was a charge. I was told the first one is " on us" , but the second one cost 4.50! I wouldn't say the first one was " on them" at that price. Fortunately , I brought my own bottled water, which I highly suggest. There is a small refrigerator in the room, which was handy.
The wedding was nice . The reception was pleasant , also. The thing I was impressed by was the food. There was well over 100 people there. They served the food hot and fresh. I had halibut with a delicious sauce and mashed yams. It was absolutely delicious. That was the highlight for me. They have great food!
If you plan to have your wedding here, make sure you tell housekeeping to clean your room during the wedding so it's clean after the wedding when you come back. Enough said .
Another positive, is that I accidentally left my jackets there. They sent them back to me FREE OF CHARGE and they arrived on my doorstep almost the same day. It was fast, so thank you for that service!
Bottom line, if you're going to a wedding there, the food is stupendous. If you stay there, ask about anything and everything because there are a lot of charges. Don't assume anything. Bring lots of cash for tipping valets. If I could do it all over again, I'd stay somewhere lower priced. This just isn't in our budget. We thought we'd splurge for a change and experience ultra luxury, but in our opinion, just wasn't worth the money. Nice place, just too expensive for us.

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from where the events take place if you are bay front
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Birdwatcher77
Though we're happy to hear you loved the food, we're sorry you felt our prices were a bit steep. We do our best to keep them fair and even, especially considering the the quality of our amenities. Even so, we'll heed your comments as we look to improve, especially your feedback regarding the "hidden" charges -- that's valuable insight! If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to send them my way. Thanks for sharing and take care.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I had our wedding at the Reeds on May 17th for about 185 guests. Leslie and Julie were both great to work with in the planning process and the event turned out better than we could have imagined. We had about 16 tables inside the ballroom which looked amazing and kept our band at the end of the room (we really liked this set up as it felt like a big dance floor which I would recommend to other brides). We had 3 outside on the veranda. The weather was in the 70s and sunny and we were able to have our guests mingle outside and keep all the windows open which we thought really added to the experience. The cocktail hour food was amazing- we did a raw bar and slider station. The raw bar was worth the extra cost in my opinion and a lot of guests raved about it. The dinner was so great and the service was first class. Overall, great food, great service and a wonderful location on the water, especially if you get lucky and have great weather. Also the suites are beautiful as well - I got ready in there with my bridesmaids and loved it! We had the time of our lives!

2 Thank Colleen G
JulieY20, Julie Yeager, Director of Sales at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Colleen, Thank you so much for the beautiful review! We are so happy that you, your family and guests had an amazing time. You and Brian are such a great couple and your wedding was incredible! I knew from the minute I met you back in January of 2013 that your wedding would be really special. The two of you deserved an amazing experience and we are thrilled that The Reeds could share in this day with you and your family.

Congratulations!!! We look forward to seeing you around this summer.

Best wishes,

Julie Yeager, Director of Sales

PS. We would LOVE to see more pictures when you get them back!
Wallingford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This brand new hotel located on the bay at Stone Harbor, NJ provides guests with the full shore experience in a stylish and relaxing package. The rooms are gorgeous, many of them with bay views. The design is minimalist--white and wood tones and very clean. There are numerous dining and bar options, from traditional restaurant, to bar and bar dining, to deck-side meals and drinks. Walk across the street to Stone Harbor's famous shopping/strolling street experience. Or stroll a mere 2 blocks to the beautiful sandy beach and great Atlantic waves. Off season rates are especially attractive. (Oprah has been spotted here more than once.)

Room Tip: Bayside are definitely the best. You pay more for these, but we think it's worth it.
1 Thank Bobbie B
Thank you for the fantastic review, Bobbie. You summed up exactly what we strive to be, "the full shore experience in a stylish and relaxing package". You described The Reeds perfectly! Hopefully we'll get the chance to see you again soon but until then, take care.

new jersey
Reviewed 29 May 2014

if you plan on visiting stone harbor the reeds is a luxury boutique hotel. the setting is close to the beach and in town so you are near all you need. the rooms are well decorated and the beds very comfortable. the only downside is if there is an event in the hotel when you are staying there it can interrupt your stay so inquire when booking

Room Tip: ask for bay view
1 Thank honest46
Thanks for taking the time to recommend us to others! It means a lot to us, plus, you make a great tip -- those bay views are unbeatable. Hopefully we'll get the chance to welcome you back again soon, perhaps sometime this summer. We don't host weddings in July and August so it may be the perfect time for you to stay!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Reeds for Memorial Day weekend, and we had an amazing time. The room was SPOTLESS and so nice and modern. One of the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in (probably the nicest!). I'm very picky when it comes to hotels, and I was more than satisfied with every aspect of my stay. The bed was so comfortable and so clean. The wood tile floors are awesome and add such a nice touch. I stayed in a king - town view room, and I was beyond happy with the condition and appearance of the room. The staff was so friendly, from everyone at the front desk, to all of the bellboys/valet guys, everyone was so accommodating. Not sure why others gave bad reviews about the staff. Every single staff member was great. They provide free beach chairs, umbrellas, and towels, along with free beach transportation (and they pick you up when you're done!). The beach is close by and walking distance, but it's great that they drive the supplies and set everything up for you. In addition to normal housekeeping, they turndown your bed in the evening and put a snack in your room for each guest. It's really an amazing experience, and right in the middle of a nice little town. Don't hesitate to book a stay here. You won't regret it!
-Jesse

1 Thank Jesse G
JulieY20, Julie Yeager, Director of Sales at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Just had the chance to read your review on Yelp, Jesse! Thank you so much for sharing your five-star experience with those on TripAdvisor as well. We are excited to see you again sometime this summer.

Collegeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Our visit was a first try since they opened. My friends and I arrived early to check out the facilities and enjoy a cocktail. We were met by friendly greeters or possibly valets at the front door and a welcoming staff inside. The bar service was a bit slow given that there wasn't a large crowd waiting but the drinks were a fair pour and an honest value for an upscale shore town. After reviewing the menu options, we decided to move on. I am sure the staff was quite busy as there was a wedding in progress in the adjoining ball room which looks out upon a large garden area with a beautiful bay view. If I didn't own a home on the island I would likely give this hotel a try.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
JulieY20, Julie Yeager, Director of Sales at The Reeds at Shelter Haven, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thanks for stopping in and sharing! We would love for you to return and enjoy dinner next time you visit. I am sure that you and your friends will have a great time with our amazing food and atmosphere when you do. Thanks again for your review!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone Harbor
#4 of 37 in Cape May
Icona Cape May
Icona Cape May
#1 of 37 in Cape May

Been to The Reeds at Shelter Haven? Share your experiences!