“Wonderful Memories”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Summit
New Jersey
“Wonderful Memories”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013 via mobile

We had our wedding here in August 2010 and come back regularly to eat at the Hat Tavern and just sit in the lovely lobby and reminisce. Our wedding was absolutely fabulous, Jimmy and Teresa worked very hard to make sure our day was special. Our guests all said the couldn't believe the delicious spread, the service and the grandeur of the hotel and considered our wedding one of the best they had been too. Many guests stayed and took advantage of the pool and delicious included breakfast. We loved our Presidential Suite! We spent an anniversary at the hotel in a beautiful suite and when we can we come to eat at the Tavern. We love the fact we can come back to where we married and relive the memory and in the future show our children and enjoy a delicious meal! My husband loves the burger selection, his favorite the Jersey burger, and I love their Shrimp Sautée appetizer. The beers on tap our great and they make a mean martini! We will continue to frequent this lovely hotel and share it with our family and love that this lovely hotel has special meaning to us.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank reilly626
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Dear reilly626,

It is always very exciting for us to hear from guests who were married at the hotel. We love welcoming you back as much as we loved hosting your big day. I am delighted to hear that you continue to enjoy the hotel and our new HAT Tavern, and that you felt compelled to remind us of how much you love the hotel.

I hope that you will be a good customer of the hotel for many years. Please feel free to reach out to me personally if I can ever be of additional service to you. We will see you again soon.

Sincerely

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Marlboro, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

Several times a year we make the Grand Summit a romantic night and overnight stay. The hotel is alway clean, rooms always perfect and they have the most comfortable beds in the area. Always enjoy our stay as the staff and the hotel is great. Dinner at the Hat Tavern always starts our night out. Good food and wine at a reasonable price.They offer a Free hot Breakfast with a ton of choices and fresh fruit. But I love the french toast.....

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NJXtreme
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Dear NJXtreme,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We work hard to provide this type of experience in our hotel and HAT Tavern, and when it is recognized it means a lot to us.

I will be sure to share your wonderful feedback with our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Durham, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

I suspect the wide range of ratings "poor to excellent" for this hotel has a lot to do with expectations. The hotel is indeed old ("historic") and could possibly use some updating, but the rooms and lobby were comfortable and clean, the restaurant food was very good, and the staff was pleasant and helpful. On the other hand, street-facing rooms are a bit noisy and noise from adjacent rooms and the hallways is easily heard within the guest room. The location is attractive (safe, pleasant, residential area a few blocks from downtown Summit and train station) and convenient for points west of Newark, though a 30+ minute train ride to the New Jersey side of the Hudson and about 45 into Manhattan.
I was, however, displeased with the hotel pricing policies. My reservation had been made for a one-bed suite by I asked to change it to a two-bed room the day before arrival. It turned out that the two-bed room is smaller and less money, but the hotel representative said I will still have to pay the higher suite rate for the entire stay because it was now (barely) less than 24 hours in advance of arrival. When I arrived at the hotel, I took the smaller room and asked again for the smaller room rate, but now they said they couldn't change the rate because it had been made on-line by a travel agency. So, I had to pay the higher suite rate throughout my stay, which struck me as an unnecessarily inflexible (and certainly not customer friendly) policy.
So, in short, a nice hotel in a nice area, though the room prices seem higher than justified (unless you get a good rate).

Room Tip: Request a quieter room (e.g., not street facing or over the restaurant) if this is important to you...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear JMinNC,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with a very nice review of your stay. We thank you for all of your feedback both positive and negative. I was very pleased to hear of your wonderful experience at our property. Regarding the reservation source, we do lose some control depending on the source of reservation (ie. third party partner sites). I will look into the site that the reservation was booked through to ensure we are communicating correctly.

Again, I was very pleased to hear of your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when your plans take you to our area again. Feel free to call me directly if I can assist you personally with your reservation.

Marblehead, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

I'm sure this hotel was great a very long time ago. These days, it's about 20 years past the time when it should have been remodeled. If they were offering really low rates, I could understand, but I could stay in a lower level Marriott or Hyatt not too far away for less and would have had a better night sleep.

My room was facing a main road - traffic noise all night. The bed was OK, but certainly nothing special. Checking in, there was one person at the front desk at the busiest time. I think the people behind me waited a full half hour to check in. I would suggest they either remodel or price themselves as much more of a budget option.

On the plus side, the included breakfast was excellent.

The decor is truly bizarre - at some point was this a hunting lodge for folks who were targeting lost folks from Manhattan?

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room that wasn't facing the street, which tends to be pretty noisy. Also, I...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Mark_in_Mass
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Dear Mark_in_Mass,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide a review of your stay. I was disappointed to hear that you did not like the elegant charm of this hotel. We have worked very hard to maintain the original feel of the hotel while updating the property for today's modern traveler.

That being said, we understand that some people do not like a more traditional hotel as described in your comparison to The Stanley Hotel in Colorado.

Regarding the wait at check-in, I apologize for the delay, however, I can assure you that no one waited longer than 10 minutes to check-in. The hotel was very busy on the night of your stay, so as in most hotels, the amount of check-ins at any particular time can vary.

I welcome the opportunity to handle your arrangements personally if your travels take you to our area including one of our more modern rooms that might provide the experience you are looking for. Please consider me at your service if I can assist.

I thank you again for your feedback.

New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

A Priceline bidding snafu put me at the Grand Summit Hotel in Summit, New Jersey, about 15 miles from my desired location near the Newark airport for a weekend conference. This place was extremely remote for my needs, but being only a short walk from New Jersey Transit (train and bus), I can see how it would have some appeal for a weekend getaway; and, that's what surprised me most about it: it seemed to be practically empty while I was there (Martin Luther King weekend). I could sit in their lobby and there might be one other person there. The bar, however, was a happenin' place on Saturday night and probably the only place open in town after 10pm. Also, there was some sort of event at the hotel Friday night, but that didn't seem to yield any guests.

Okay, so despite being a surprisingly lonely place, ithe Grand Summit Hotel prides itself on its history and being one of the places that put Summit, NJ on the map. The lobby hearkens back to the elegance of an earlier period and is quite large and comfortable with a fireplace in the corner. They had an urn of hot chocolate alongside some cookies on Friday afternoon when I arrived - really a nice touch.

The restaurant has a good menu, and again, an active bar scene on the weekends. For the guests, there is a free breakfast that is self-service, but it is a complete breakfast with freshly prepared eggs, breakfast meats, pancakes/waffles/French toast, cereal, fresh fruit, etc. It's not fancy, but it's aslo not the run-of-the-mill motel breakfast that you'd find at a Quality Inn or Hampton Inn or Super 8.

The rooms are a little small by modern standards, but still large enough to not feel claustrophobic. Actually, the more I think about, it is probably the layout of the room that gives the impression of it being small - there is no hallway or large open space (y'know, where they put their table and chair) upon entering the room. The windows open and the heater/AC works fine. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. Everything outside the room was quiet, but again, the hotel seemed to be practically empty. Really, it was a pleasant room.

Aside from the free breakfast, the hotel also boasts of a swimming pool in the summer and they have a fitness room in the basement, right down the hall from the restaurant/bar. It's a pretty wimpy fitness room - I walked in and walked out, deciding that I could do better by just walking around the town. Having noted that, they have an arrangement with the local YMCA for a free gym membership during the stay.

There were two things that sort of bugged me about the place, that I felt limited my options as I was trying to travel on a budget: (1) they have a shuttle, but it's $25 to get to the airport (bus w/ transfer is $3.60, but a longer trip), and (2) they charge for parking (why? It's in Summit; not like there's huge demand for parking spaces).

Anyhow, overall, it was a good experience and if I actually needed a place around this part of New Jersey, I'd certainly consider staying here again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Dear dpc47852,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We work hard to provide the type of place you describe in your review, and it makes us very proud when it is recognized by our guests.

Your review is like a mini add for our property, and I thank you very much for it. I have worked in brand new properties, and historic ones like this and my sentiments follow yours very well.

You definitely stayed with us during a slower time of year for the hotel, so I am sure that provided that quiet feel you experienced.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our area the next time you come through and are very happy to hear we added a new customer to our very loyal clientele.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

Recently stayed at the Grand Summit Hotel for 4 nights. Its a very old fashioned and just plain old hotel. The lobby, restaurant and common areas are in dire need of updating. My room, however, was adequate. That is to say, clean with decent furniture and a nice, if too small, flat screen TV.

However, no mini-bar, the bathroom didn't get proper heating, the shower ( no bath) was tiny and the heating/ac unit was clunky at best. It never really cycled on and off, so you either fried or froze. It didn't make sleeping comfortable. Speaking of sleeping, my mattress was "oddly warped" is the only way I can describe it.

Free coffee and wifi is a nice touch. Breakfast is also included but the buffet is definitely nothing to write home about. Interestingly, despite the freebies mentioned above, parking in $9.95 a day. In the suburbs of NJ? Really? Yup.

Considering the room rate averaged $ 180 per night BEFORE taxes, I'd have to conclude there isn't much value there.

Downtown Summit, however, is within very easy walking distance and it is a lovely downtown area with plenty of restaurants and shops. This is really the Grand Summits only selling point.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank NSEWtraveller
Dear NSEWtraveller,

Thank you very much for your review both positive and negative. I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our room product, as we have worked very hard to provide a comfortable environment while maintaining the hotel character.

I was disappointed to hear that you feel we need to renovate the lobby and restaurant as both were recently redone and have been well received by our loyal clientele.

We will certainly address your mattress as we just made a very large capital investment to provide top of the line Sealy Pillowtop Mattresses in all of our rooms and the feedback has been fantastic - many guests purchase the mattresses through our discount referral program.

I appreciate the other items you have brought to our attention and we will address them as well.

Thank you again for your business. We hope to have the chance to host you when your travels take you to our area again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

Pros
Bed was most comfortable wife and I ever slept in at a hotel
Location in cute historic town felt very special
Look and feel of hotel was historic and warm
Free full fledged breakfast buffet
Starbucks coffee and tazo tea in lobby
Room and bathroom feel very much like a home away from home
Friendly and helpful staff

Cons
No frills or bells and whistles - fridge (extra $20), microwave, vending machine
Some parts look really new while others look really old (not a big deal)
Elevator looks really old
A bit pricey (but was worth it to us)
Our hallway smelled smokey, but it dissipated once we were in our room.

My wife and I would recommend this place

• Stayed December 2012
Dear vladimpala,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review in addition to the constructive criticism you have provided. We work very hard to provide a comfortable experience for all of our guests, and when it is recognized we greatly appreciate it.

As an older property, we realize we always have work to do to continue to take the hotel to the next level. We are committed to doing that and we will continue to make the necessary adjustments to provide a solid experience for all of our guests.

We thank you very much for your business and for your very positive review. We look forward to hosting you again when your travels take you to the Summit area.

Assistant General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summit
Hilton Short Hills
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston
BEST WESTERN Westfield Inn

Been to Grand Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!