“Old and crappy, but the only choice for downtown summit”
Review of Grand Summit Hotel

Grand Summit Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Summit
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My wife and I stayed in Grand Summit a couple of years back because this is the only "decent" one within 20min driving to downtown summit. Hotel rooms and old and small, the decor is quite old-fashioned, and it smells... The hotel staff was nice and friendly, though, and there is an Avis onsite. So it got two stars for these two reasons.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank wxmtsinghua
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear wxmtsinghua,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review of your recent stay with us. I want to thank you for your comments both positive and negative. I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at the hotel. While you are correct that the rooms are old (the hotel was built in 1929), we have many rooms that have a very large footprint, and had you wanted more space we would have been more than happy to find a room to suit your space needs.

We have suites that are the size of a Manhattan condo, and many of our standard rooms out back are among the largest in this market.

We continue to upgrade our product and make the necessary changes to ensure the comfort of our guests. I invite you to take a look at one of our newly renovated rooms when your travels take you back to our area so that we can provide you with a better impression of the hotel.

I can be reached at the hotel and look forward to connecting with you.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I've stayed here twice in two months and enjoyed each stay. The hotel is indeed a grand old hotel but also has a homely feel which is very welcoming. The rooms ( at least the ones I stayed in) are newly refurbished and very comfortable. On my second stay I was upgraded to a suite (don't know why but thank you) and that was a splendid looking room. The bathrooms are clean and perfectly OK but not wow bathrooms. If I visited Summit again (which I hope to do because it is such a delightful town) I would definitely stay at the Grand Summit. I like the Grand Summit. There was a coffee machine in my room I'm pretty sure but I didn't bother to use it because it was just so much nicer to go to the lounge and help myself to the very good coffee and tea selection that was always available - free too, which gives another welcoming touch. Whilst in the lounge you can stand by the fireplace or admire the grandfather clock (made in North Shields in England many years ago). Of course there are more blingy hotels but honestly the world is full of those whereas hotels with character are a different experience. The location of the hotel is excellent, breakfast is very good (a bit let down by the scrambled eggs), WiFi is free (erratic in some of the rooms but reliable in the lounge and Hat Tavern) and the front desk staff were helpful and efficient. One of these days I hope to have the time to use the free pass for guests to the gym at the YMCA - which looks like another fine old Summit institution.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Dustylaw1,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such a wonderful review of our property. We work very hard to provide exactly the kind of experience you have detailed here, and when it is recognized it makes everything we do feel great.

I hope that you will ask for me personally when your travel takes you to our area again so that I may thank you for recognizing what we all love about this historic property.

Thank you again for your business and for your wonderful feedback.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I checked into the hotel earlier today and the first thing I noticed was the smell. The lobby had a musty smell and my room had the scent of body odor. The room I selected for my business trip was a tiny 100 square foot with a full sized bed. The bathroom has basic decor and it looks like the the grout and caulk were coming undone. At least the shower was warm and free wi-fi was acceptable.

I left to grab some food and when I returned there were men shining flashlights into and around my room. Apparently they were cleaning the restaurant's hood. They may as well have been shooting a firefighters hose at my room window as the noise was unbearably loud. I had been patient enough and at 11:00 called the lobby. They said it shouldn't linger past midnight. Are they serious? Apparently they do not care about the comfort of their guests. When you are traveling for work, you would like to be refreshed, have minimal noise outside, and not have your room smell horrific. The breakfast is pretty good. Also it is nice to be able to walk to the downtown area.

Room Tip: don't choose room near restaurant
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank cactusdave

Dear Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review of your recent stay with us. We appreciate your comments both positive and negative as they will allow us to take corrective action and continue to improve our product and service.

I want to apologize for any disturbance that you received as part of our routine hood cleaning service. The hoods must be cleaned on a scheduled basis after our restaurant closes, and with the hotel open every day there is simply no good time to conduct the service. We did provide letters to all of our guests communicating the interruption, and I apologize if we were not as discreet about the task as we could have been. We will continue to look for ways to conduct this service with minimal impact to our guests.

I would also like to let you know that we have rooms that have been completely renovated with a very modern flair in addition to the more traditional rooms that many of our guests prefer. If given another opportunity, we welcome the chance to host you in one of these rooms.

We look forward to the opportunity to provide you with a better impression of our property if you will present us with another chance, and it will be my pleasure to assist you personally.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I stayed here over Columbus Day weekend. It wasn't Four Weddings and a Funeral. It was two weddings and about SIX high school reunions. I don't know if it was younger partying wedding guests or older people trying to relive their HS glory days by partying all night long. Either way I didn't sleep at all that night. I was moved at 2:00 am to another room. And Nicole the night manager tried her best. But in the end I heard the next day that the police were called in to quiet the crowd. The guest behavior of course is not the hotels fault. But the rooms are old and the walls and ceilings seem to have no ability to muffle noise. We could hear every word the couple next door were saying. So if you go during a high occupancy season, bring drugs! It could rescue you from a sleepless night.

• Stayed: October 2013
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Vinojoyce,

Thank you for taking a moment to provide us with a review of your recent stay with us. You were here during a very busy social weekend at the hotel as referenced in your review. What I have always loved about this hotel compared to the many I have worked in, is the quiet and home like atmosphere it provides.

During the week, you can hear a pin drop with our regular corporate guests in house. On the weekends, the hotel shifts to a very social environment, and when you have as many individual groups in house as you mentioned, the fun people have celebrating such life changing events can become disruptive to our other guests just trying to get a good night's sleep.

We employ a very experienced Security Manager who works diligently to keep the disruptions to a minimum for our many weekend guests. Unfortunately, sometimes we run into difficulty helping a group understand that they need to be considerate of the other guests. This challenge will not keep us from continuing to improve our reaction to it and we appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

I hope that you will call me personally when your travel takes you to our area again so that I can personally select a nice quiet suite for you to enjoy the home-like environment we work so hard to provide.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

This clearly was a grand hotel. Hopefully it will get the makeover it deserves. The wiring is scary. Outlets didn't work properly, lamp wires were brittle. Their wifi was useless.
When I inquired why there were no glasses in the room I was told " that's a special request".
The location was perfect for our purposes and parking was plentiful. The banquet services were handled beautifully.
Hopefully someday the property will be restored to its former glory.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Gerald F

Dear Gerald,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay with us. I want to thank you for all of your comments both positive and negative. We take the safety and security of our guests very seriously, and you can be certain that we will review all of your comments and take corrective action to the items you have brought to our attention.

I also wanted to inform you that the hotel has both traditional rooms and rooms with a much more modern flair. I hope that you will present us with the opportunity to show you one of the newer rooms when your travels take you to our area again. While we understand that not everyone likes our very popular traditional rooms, many have fallen in love with our new rooms that include hardwood floors and brand new tumbled-stone showers.

Regarding the WiFi, we just recently upgraded our offerings, so I would love to speak with you personally to see what troubles you ran into. Many times it can be the restrictions placed on the laptop by the IT department of our corporate guests. This can be resolved by the WiFi support service we employ.

We thank you very much for your wonderful comments about your experience at the banquet event and about the tremendous location we enjoy. Again, all of your comments will be shared with my team.

Please call me personally if you would like to take me up on my offer and thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

There are not many "Grand" hotels you can find in the myriads of Villages in New Jersey that are within walking distances to Manhattan, NY (via train of course). This hotel offers EVERYTHING. First of all, it is in Summit, New Jersey, which has a quaint train station (a few blocks away) that takes you directly to Penn Station in NYC within an hour (free parking on weekends in there lots and other lots--parked there myself, but asked a parking ticket officer on the street who said you can park in all these different lots along Springfield Ave on the weekends for free). Second, the hotel is refine and majestic in it's own subtle way--nestled within the tree-lined homes and off a block from the more conjested main intersection.

The hotel is just two blocks from where the residential area turns into a magical "old town" street of wonderful little shops, antique shops, dining, coffee shops.. and long ten or so blocks of the main center of Summit. The town was filled with lots and lots of mother's and childen walking around.. going to birthday parties.. encounter lots of groups of well dressed boys coming from school.. Mothers taking ballons from cars to attend a birthday party with their young childen and other women waving and stopping them on the street who knew where they were going.. IT WAS UNREAL.. I thought this type of stuff never happens in real life.. but it did.. I thought it only happened in the 1950s or 60s.

Well, back to the hotel. The Grand Summit Hotel was very impressive to me. While I had read reviews of terrible things, I brushed them aside, just knowing that those who wrote those types of reviews were probably people born after 1985--The younger generation doesn't really appreciate the old grandure of these hotels.

So the Pros are: Wonderful Hotel. Renovated tastifully, nice staff, great food in the Hat Tavern, great beers, wonderful bed, hot shower, great flat screen TV, easy room temp control, great free breakfast, Starbucks coffee 24-7, and great wi-fi connection.

Cons: Little cons: Parking can be a problem even though they have an abundant parking lot.. stayed two nights with two huge wedding parties.. hard to find parking when they have big events. No glass/plastic cups in the room, no mini bar (but was in the lowest/smallest room), no obvious bell service (but I did see someone have help later, but it's not offered as an expected service in a 4-star hotel).

Improvement Recommendation: Have a professional to polish all brass shiny.. Redo elevators.. remember, everyone might not experience everything, but everyone is going to use the elevators..

Other than that.. the place is 4 Stars..

Room Tip: Don't turn into the first entrance when driving down Springfield.. go to the end of the hotel a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Eric,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such a fantastic review of our hotel. We work so very hard to provide exactly the type of experience you so wonderfully detail in your review and we cannot thank you enough.

It means a lot to us the way you have reviewed not only the hotel but your experience in the beautiful town of Summit which many to believe among the nicest towns in the country. I was very pleased to hear the way you described the scene you saw in the town, and I agree wholeheartedly how nice it is to be nestled in the middle of such a beautiful setting.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when your travel takes you to our area again.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Not a new hotel, but the rooms are freshly remodeled. Public spaces are nice -- but I like hotels with character and personality. The hotel has a great location, not a lot of hotels nearby, so can get you close to many office. The HAT Tavern in the hotel has good beer and wine selections, and nice choices of Tapas and "Bar" food. Only suggestion/risk is that since it it an older facility, you can luck out and someone in the room above/next can be very noisy. Had that happen last time, but not times before. I suggest you try for room in the Terrace Wing on top floor. Have stayed multiple times, will stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a great review of your recent stay with us. We work very hard to provide the time of experience you detailed for us, and when it is recognized we greatly appreciate it.

Our HAT Tavern has been wildly successful since opening, and we were very excited to hear you enjoyed it. It has become the place to be in the area.

We look forward to hosting you again when your travel takes you back to our area.

Assistant General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Summit
Hilton Short Hills
Best Western Plus Murray Hill Hotel & Suites
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to Grand Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!