“warm and inviting setting”
Review of Grand Summit Hotel

Grand Summit Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Summit
Bellmore, New York
“warm and inviting setting”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at this beautiful hotel for a wedding. It was fantastic! The staff was very helpful and friendly, the room was immaculate and the food was unbelievable! The lobby was charming as we sat by the fireplace and enjoyed complimentary Starbucks coffee. We would return in a heart beat!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear Ann,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such a wonderful review of your recent stay with us. We work very hard to provide exactly the type of experience you describe, and when it is recognized by our guests it means a lot to us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when your travels take you to our area again. We appreciate your business.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I can't heap enough praise on your staff and accommodations. Last Sunday, our son was married at your property, and every detail of the wedding, from rehearsal dinner to wedding dessert was perfection. The food was delicious, the service exemplary, and the gracious treatment of us and our 100 guests exceeded our expectations.
Many thanks to a wonderful staff for helping to make this special occasion truly memorable.

Room Tip: 4th floor is less noisy.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Martin,

Thank you so very much for the opportunity to host your son's wedding. It means a lot to us when someone selects us to host the most important day in their children's life, and for that we are very appreciative.

I cannot tell you how much it meant to me when you detailed what a fine job my staff did to make the day so special for you, your family, and friends.

We look forward to the chance to host you again when your travels take you back to New Jersey to visit with family and friends.

All the best to you and your family.

California
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I must say, if not for the little things this hotel would have gotten one star. We called in advance to ask some questions and found the receptionist to be downright rude and unhelpful. Upon arrival, we were not received with a warm welcome as much as a stony stare. One of the receptionists was helpful, though. We initially had a renovated room in the annex motel building, but it was smelled moldy and was dark and dank. We then opted for a room in the main building. While smaller and older, at least it wasn't depressing. The whole hotel looks like it was last redone about forty years ago, and since then has only undergone minor renovations and repairs (flat screen TV's, Bose radios, re-tiled bathroom. It wasn't unpleasant, simply dated. The gym was tiny but pleasant. We loved the free coffee, tea, cider, and breakfast, as well as Wifi. These are the things that truly saved our stay. Our housekeeper was very lovely and helpful, too. Downtown Summit is charming, we would definitely recommend walking around. Overall, I don't think we'll be returning to the Grand Summit anytime soon.

Room Tip: Main Building! Ask for a larger room
1 Thank yadin
Dear Yadin,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review of your recent stay with us. We appreciate the feedback you provided us both positive and negative as it will allows us to continue to improve our service and product. I would very much like the opportunity to speak with you so that I can obtain additional information regarding your guest service experience. All of our associates work very hard to provide a pleasant and welcoming experience for all of our guests, and I was very disappointed to hear of your experience.

Regarding the hotel in general, I was disappointed to hear that you found the newly renovated rooms to be depressing. These rooms are very popular, and with the hardwood floors and tumbled stone showers are among the most requested. The main hotel does have a more traditional feel and when you say it is dated, please understand that it was built in 1929. We have always worked to offer a bed and breakfast feel that the chain hotels cannot replicate, and our very loyal clientele as you can see from many of our reviews, prefers that.

I hope that you will present us with another opportunity to host you when your travels take you back to our area so that we can provide you with the service excellence we strive to deliver to all of our guests.

Summit, New Jersey, USA
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My wife and I stayed in Grand Summit a couple of years back because this is the only "decent" one within 20min driving to downtown summit. Hotel rooms and old and small, the decor is quite old-fashioned, and it smells... The hotel staff was nice and friendly, though, and there is an Avis onsite. So it got two stars for these two reasons.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank wxmtsinghua
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear wxmtsinghua,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review of your recent stay with us. I want to thank you for your comments both positive and negative. I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at the hotel. While you are correct that the rooms are old (the hotel was built in 1929), we have many rooms that have a very large footprint, and had you wanted more space we would have been more than happy to find a room to suit your space needs.

We have suites that are the size of a Manhattan condo, and many of our standard rooms out back are among the largest in this market.

We continue to upgrade our product and make the necessary changes to ensure the comfort of our guests. I invite you to take a look at one of our newly renovated rooms when your travels take you back to our area so that we can provide you with a better impression of the hotel.

I can be reached at the hotel and look forward to connecting with you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I've stayed here twice in two months and enjoyed each stay. The hotel is indeed a grand old hotel but also has a homely feel which is very welcoming. The rooms ( at least the ones I stayed in) are newly refurbished and very comfortable. On my second stay I was upgraded to a suite (don't know why but thank you) and that was a splendid looking room. The bathrooms are clean and perfectly OK but not wow bathrooms. If I visited Summit again (which I hope to do because it is such a delightful town) I would definitely stay at the Grand Summit. I like the Grand Summit. There was a coffee machine in my room I'm pretty sure but I didn't bother to use it because it was just so much nicer to go to the lounge and help myself to the very good coffee and tea selection that was always available - free too, which gives another welcoming touch. Whilst in the lounge you can stand by the fireplace or admire the grandfather clock (made in North Shields in England many years ago). Of course there are more blingy hotels but honestly the world is full of those whereas hotels with character are a different experience. The location of the hotel is excellent, breakfast is very good (a bit let down by the scrambled eggs), WiFi is free (erratic in some of the rooms but reliable in the lounge and Hat Tavern) and the front desk staff were helpful and efficient. One of these days I hope to have the time to use the free pass for guests to the gym at the YMCA - which looks like another fine old Summit institution.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Dustylaw1,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such a wonderful review of our property. We work very hard to provide exactly the kind of experience you have detailed here, and when it is recognized it makes everything we do feel great.

I hope that you will ask for me personally when your travel takes you to our area again so that I may thank you for recognizing what we all love about this historic property.

Thank you again for your business and for your wonderful feedback.

Chicago
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I checked into the hotel earlier today and the first thing I noticed was the smell. The lobby had a musty smell and my room had the scent of body odor. The room I selected for my business trip was a tiny 100 square foot with a full sized bed. The bathroom has basic decor and it looks like the the grout and caulk were coming undone. At least the shower was warm and free wi-fi was acceptable.

I left to grab some food and when I returned there were men shining flashlights into and around my room. Apparently they were cleaning the restaurant's hood. They may as well have been shooting a firefighters hose at my room window as the noise was unbearably loud. I had been patient enough and at 11:00 called the lobby. They said it shouldn't linger past midnight. Are they serious? Apparently they do not care about the comfort of their guests. When you are traveling for work, you would like to be refreshed, have minimal noise outside, and not have your room smell horrific. The breakfast is pretty good. Also it is nice to be able to walk to the downtown area.

Room Tip: don't choose room near restaurant
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank cactusdave
Dear Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review of your recent stay with us. We appreciate your comments both positive and negative as they will allow us to take corrective action and continue to improve our product and service.

I want to apologize for any disturbance that you received as part of our routine hood cleaning service. The hoods must be cleaned on a scheduled basis after our restaurant closes, and with the hotel open every day there is simply no good time to conduct the service. We did provide letters to all of our guests communicating the interruption, and I apologize if we were not as discreet about the task as we could have been. We will continue to look for ways to conduct this service with minimal impact to our guests.

I would also like to let you know that we have rooms that have been completely renovated with a very modern flair in addition to the more traditional rooms that many of our guests prefer. If given another opportunity, we welcome the chance to host you in one of these rooms.

We look forward to the opportunity to provide you with a better impression of our property if you will present us with another chance, and it will be my pleasure to assist you personally.

Boston
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I stayed here over Columbus Day weekend. It wasn't Four Weddings and a Funeral. It was two weddings and about SIX high school reunions. I don't know if it was younger partying wedding guests or older people trying to relive their HS glory days by partying all night long. Either way I didn't sleep at all that night. I was moved at 2:00 am to another room. And Nicole the night manager tried her best. But in the end I heard the next day that the police were called in to quiet the crowd. The guest behavior of course is not the hotels fault. But the rooms are old and the walls and ceilings seem to have no ability to muffle noise. We could hear every word the couple next door were saying. So if you go during a high occupancy season, bring drugs! It could rescue you from a sleepless night.

• Stayed October 2013
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Vinojoyce,

Thank you for taking a moment to provide us with a review of your recent stay with us. You were here during a very busy social weekend at the hotel as referenced in your review. What I have always loved about this hotel compared to the many I have worked in, is the quiet and home like atmosphere it provides.

During the week, you can hear a pin drop with our regular corporate guests in house. On the weekends, the hotel shifts to a very social environment, and when you have as many individual groups in house as you mentioned, the fun people have celebrating such life changing events can become disruptive to our other guests just trying to get a good night's sleep.

We employ a very experienced Security Manager who works diligently to keep the disruptions to a minimum for our many weekend guests. Unfortunately, sometimes we run into difficulty helping a group understand that they need to be considerate of the other guests. This challenge will not keep us from continuing to improve our reaction to it and we appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

I hope that you will call me personally when your travel takes you to our area again so that I can personally select a nice quiet suite for you to enjoy the home-like environment we work so hard to provide.

Assistant General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summit
Hilton Short Hills
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
BEST WESTERN Turtle Brook Inn

Been to Grand Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!