“past its prime”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Summit
Ashland, Oregon
“past its prime”
Reviewed 21 April 2010

I wonder if they are having financial difficulties. The place is really run down. The service people are barely polite. There's no sitting chair in the room. I called to get one and got a rickety desk chair. I already have a desk chair, but my husband monopolizes it. We are paying $195 a night! Even a Motel 6 for $39 has a sitting chair!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2010
I am very disappointed to hear about your experience at our hotel. I can assure you that we work hard to ensure each guest has an enjoyable stay at our property. I am sorry that we have failed to respond to your request with a more appropriate resolution. I welcome a call from you if I can assist you personally when your travels take you to our area again.

Michael Marino
Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
boston, ma
Reviewed 5 April 2010

The room is very small. And I stayed at Manhattan the night before and even there the bathroom is bigger that the room at the Summit. Breakfast is complimentary and has lots of hot and cold choices. The complimentary starbucks coffee and tea at the hotel lobby are a nice touch too. They charge a fee for overnight parking which is strange for a suburban location. If you like old buildings, this is the one for you.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 November 2009

I got married at the Hotel and was given a Presidential Suite (aka: Bridal Suite) as part of the wedding package. I loved the bedroom and bathroom part of the suite! It was historic, yet updated. (The living room was in need of a renovation.)

Some of our guests stayed in standard guest rooms or junior suites. We did hear some complaints about the standard guest rooms being a little small and dimly lit. So, if you are staying at The Grand Summit Hotel for a special occasion, then consider upgrading to a junior suite! (I went into a jr. suite and thought it was charming and well lit!)

Jimmy Thornton, the Catering Director, the manager of the Hunt Club Grill, and the rest of the staff were accommodating and generous. "Yes," was the answer to everything! If you're looking for a historic hotel for your wedding or another special event, this is the place!

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 October 2009

"Run-down good old charm" is how I would describe the Grand Summit hotel. Hence depending on how you value comfort over history, you will enjoy your stay or not. The bedrooms have been remodeled on the cheap: new wallpaper, but you can see the plaster bumps from previous decades of repainting, new bathrooms, but you can feel the cold from the 40-year old windows, new carpet, but you will hear the guest next door snore through the thin walls. This said, this is as good as it gets in terms of accommodation in Summit. So if you need to stay in this nice town for commute convenience, the Grand Summit is still your best bet.
In terms of services: Free Wi-Fi and free breakfast, but paying uncovered parking lot. A small gym, but free access to the nearby YMCA.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed 12 October 2009

We had the romance package at the Summit Hotel and enjoyed every moment of it. The room included a study room along with beautfiul molding, flat screen tv and a great steam shower. The hotel foyer included free star bucks coffee along with comfy sofa's and a tv for entertainment. The restaurant was impeccable. The food was unbelievable. Our stay was very enjoyable and we highly recommend it.

The road
Reviewed 28 September 2009

This was unlike any experience I ever had, and I spend a lot of time on the road.

The reservations desk was supposed to send an email confirmation. He was an OK guy, but he did not do it. I called 30 minutes later and said I need it. The woman who answered the phone had a slightly nasty tone in her voice, and came off as if I was taking her away from more important things. This led me to want to cancel right then - if this was going to be the way it was (since other reviewers seem to identify this trait). I tried here because I had business nearby and there are not many options.

So I called back for a manager. I think it says a lot about a hotel when there is no mgmt person on duty; either the stuff is so good they don't need it, or they don't really give a damn. I would say the latter. I reached the restaurant looking for a link to the manager, and the restaurant manager answered. I was a little displeased at this point, and expressed I wanted to find a way to speak to mgmt. He said he was the manager of the restaurant. I said I wanted someone in charge of hotel operations. None available, but this guy wasn't just disrespectful, but aggressively rude. I asked him if he was listening to himself, as his voice was rising more and more (not yelling yet but at the cusp of it) and becoming more argumentative.

How often do you cancel a reservation before you even stay there? I did. I just spent 3 1/2 weeks at a Hyatt in Florida and 1 week at a Hyatt in Boston. The desk group in Florida are almost Facebook friends at this point. I joked around with the Boston crew almost every night I came in.

The Grand Summit, in my estimation, is a hotel to be avoided even if it means driving an extra 10 miles.

Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Parsippany, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 July 2009

Having stayed here multiple times there appears to be different levels of attention given to different tiers of guests. People having large parties and businesses using their conference center are afforded one level of treatment while people "just" staying in a room experience a different level of service.

The lobby is large and clean and everytime I have been there the front desk attendant has been pleasant, but the other hotel personnel seem indifferent to customers unless directly assigned to work with them. Once you leave the lobby area the main part of the hotel appears quaint, but is screaming old before long, expecially if you get in an elevator. Upon entering the rooms the flat screen TV mounted on the wall just helps to accentuate the age of the hotel.

The beds are comfortable, the linens and towels are like new, as one would expect for a hotel of this caliber. But the mix of modern and antique don't quite pull off eclectic and almost feel mismatched. The lack of consistant customer service only makes it harder to overlook the mixed ambiance of the hotel.

The hotel features a business center and has wireless internet which gets a good signal throughout the facility. There is a restaurant downstairs that has good food at fairly reasonable prices.

They also appear to randomly charge a $10 parking fee, similar to either a luxury resort or a five star city hotel (they are neither)... they need to wake up that they are a suburban three star hotel and drop the parking fee since everyone who stays there has to drive to get there.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank purple_gorillaz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summit
Hilton Short Hills
#1 of 1 in Springfield
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to Grand Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!