“It's Time for a Face Lift”
Review of Grand Summit Hotel

Grand Summit Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Summit
Boston, Massachusetts
“It's Time for a Face Lift”
Reviewed 24 May 2010

I agree with most of the other reviewers who have said this hotel has seen better days. I'll start off by saying there are one or two nice complimentary touchs, such as the Starbucks coffee/tea in the lobby and the breakfast. The breakfast itself is OK and provides standard hot and cold offerings. The fitness center is small but usable with a treadmill, bike and cross trainer, as well as weights. There is water but no towels.

However, the guest rooms are very outdated and a bit rough around the edges. The beds are comfortable and each room has a flat panel TV. The WiFi in the room was very wonky and the signal strength is low so it kept dropping my connection. (There is no option for a hardwired connection.) My room faced Springfield Ave. which is very noisy. Give the hot water a while to warm up!!

The front desk staff is very cordial and helpful, but the room service staff is rude and surley. The food arrived lukewarm and the order was incomplete.

Also, as someone already pointed out, the hotel does charge $9.75/day for parking.

The hotel is very within easy reach of downtown Summit, which has some excellent shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2010
Thank you very much for your feedback both positive and negative regarding your stay at our hotel. You can be sure that I will share your comments with my team so that we can work to address the areas where we failed to exceed your expectations. We work hard to esnure that every guest leaves the hotel with a positive experience and we are sincerely disappointed when we fall short of that goal. I hope you will not hesitate to contact me personally if I can assist you when your travels take you to our area again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
New Jersey
Reviewed 9 May 2010

We recently stayed at The Grand Summit for a wedding. It was fabulous! The lobby is wonderful with stained glass windows and gorgeous oak moldings. There was Starbucks coffee in the lobby and scones for afternoon tea. The wedding was amazing and the complimentary breakfast was great. Make sure to ask the history of the place, the cocktail hour took place on the original slate floor that horse and carriages dropped off hotel guests- very interesting! The rooms are updated and include a flatscreen tv, Bose sound system and elegant furniture. I recommend this historical hotel!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank reilly626
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed 21 April 2010

I wonder if they are having financial difficulties. The place is really run down. The service people are barely polite. There's no sitting chair in the room. I called to get one and got a rickety desk chair. I already have a desk chair, but my husband monopolizes it. We are paying $195 a night! Even a Motel 6 for $39 has a sitting chair!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Michael46855, Manager at Grand Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2010
I am very disappointed to hear about your experience at our hotel. I can assure you that we work hard to ensure each guest has an enjoyable stay at our property. I am sorry that we have failed to respond to your request with a more appropriate resolution. I welcome a call from you if I can assist you personally when your travels take you to our area again.

Michael Marino
Assistant General Manager
boston, ma
Reviewed 5 April 2010

The room is very small. And I stayed at Manhattan the night before and even there the bathroom is bigger that the room at the Summit. Breakfast is complimentary and has lots of hot and cold choices. The complimentary starbucks coffee and tea at the hotel lobby are a nice touch too. They charge a fee for overnight parking which is strange for a suburban location. If you like old buildings, this is the one for you.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 November 2009

I got married at the Hotel and was given a Presidential Suite (aka: Bridal Suite) as part of the wedding package. I loved the bedroom and bathroom part of the suite! It was historic, yet updated. (The living room was in need of a renovation.)

Some of our guests stayed in standard guest rooms or junior suites. We did hear some complaints about the standard guest rooms being a little small and dimly lit. So, if you are staying at The Grand Summit Hotel for a special occasion, then consider upgrading to a junior suite! (I went into a jr. suite and thought it was charming and well lit!)

Jimmy Thornton, the Catering Director, the manager of the Hunt Club Grill, and the rest of the staff were accommodating and generous. "Yes," was the answer to everything! If you're looking for a historic hotel for your wedding or another special event, this is the place!

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 October 2009

"Run-down good old charm" is how I would describe the Grand Summit hotel. Hence depending on how you value comfort over history, you will enjoy your stay or not. The bedrooms have been remodeled on the cheap: new wallpaper, but you can see the plaster bumps from previous decades of repainting, new bathrooms, but you can feel the cold from the 40-year old windows, new carpet, but you will hear the guest next door snore through the thin walls. This said, this is as good as it gets in terms of accommodation in Summit. So if you need to stay in this nice town for commute convenience, the Grand Summit is still your best bet.
In terms of services: Free Wi-Fi and free breakfast, but paying uncovered parking lot. A small gym, but free access to the nearby YMCA.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed 12 October 2009

We had the romance package at the Summit Hotel and enjoyed every moment of it. The room included a study room along with beautfiul molding, flat screen tv and a great steam shower. The hotel foyer included free star bucks coffee along with comfy sofa's and a tv for entertainment. The restaurant was impeccable. The food was unbelievable. Our stay was very enjoyable and we highly recommend it.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Summit
Hilton Short Hills
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston
Best Western Westfield Inn

Been to Grand Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!