“291 steps to paradise...”

High Point State Park
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Sussex
Reviewed 30 July 2014

After a little hesitation my wife and I decided to follow our 2 sons up the 291 steps of the monument to see incredible views of the tri-state area! We got lucky and had great weather in the 60's,as it was early morning. I imagine it would be REALLY Hot and STUFFY up here on a 80 or 90 degree day. Would love to come back when the leaves are turning! Lots of trails to hike and endless scenic views.

1  Thank Kevin H

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Although I've been living in NJ for 26 years, this was only my first visit to High Point. Came on a Saturday in mid-July. About a 90-minute drive from my home in North Jersey. Only stayed for the afternoon as we visited friends (two families) who rented a campsite off Sawmill Lake. The campsites looked comfortable enough and had a fair amount of space. Each site was well separated from one another. Some sites were lakeside; others were just on the other side of the one-way road (Sawmill Rd.) that goes around the lake.

Sawmill Lake itself is okay, pleasant but nothing great. Did not look appealing for swimming. Fishing seemed suitable. As we walked along the road and took a look closer to the lake edge, we came across a couple of groups of geese in the water who were just coming ashore. We fed them some bread. Not a good idea, because they started to come closer and the leader started hissing at us and seemed to get a bit aggressive as they sought more food from us. We shooed them off and they went back towards the water. Don't feed the geese (or any other wild animals)!

We proceeded along the road and came across the entry for the Blue Dot Trail. We hiked up to the summit area, which was probably only a half-mile, but it was practically an uphill climb all the way, so it made for good exercise. One must be careful as there are many small rocks you must walk upon on the trail, but they are not stable, and you can easily stumble or turn an ankle if not careful. We were told later by some folks at the summit that the trail extended further, 5 miles in one direction, and 9 miles in the other. We decided to just take in the views at the summit and then return back down to the road. And the views are awesome! Looking out for many miles across the forests and distant mountains. There are a couple of spots where you have to climb up big rocks, and could be difficult if your mobility is not good.

After returning to our friends' campsite, we drove to Lake Marcia, a couple of miles away. This is a nice family-friendly area, with a very nice sandy beach and swimming area, as well as a large grassy field. There were two lifeguard stands, with two guards at each stand. For a July Saturday with gorgeous low-80 degree weather, there were a lot of people but I would not describe it as crowded. You need to bring your own beach umbrella if you want shade; we did not have one as we lay on the beach, and it got pretty hot as it was a very sunny day, although not scorching hot. I didn't go in the water, but I was told it was a bit cold. There is a concession stand selling many varieties of food and drink (but no alcohol). There is a bathhouse facility for changing, showering, toilets and sinks. The Monument is clearly visible in the distance.

There is no fee to enter the campsite as a visitor. To enter the Lake Marcia area, there is a $10 fee per vehicle, unless you have a campsite permit, then vehicle entry is included with your permit.

Our friends who were camping there, and had already spent one night, did complain about ticks, which has been reported by others here. I sprayed repellant (DEET-containing) on myself, and I didn't have any problem with ticks or other insects while I was there.

I enjoyed my brief time at High Point. I would definitely like to come back and try the Monument Trail, as it has received many good reviews here.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Went on a Tuesday it was cool at High Point Monument beautiful vista. Went iside the Momument and read the history. Walked up the spiral stair cases and then saw the landing of 7 more stair cases and signs, walk to the tip at your own risk. I was not doing that. A custodian of the park was coming down the stairs and said it was not easy he would not want do it himself. Glad I was there on a weekday it was cool and cloudy weather wise. Not at all crowded. After I looked at the views I saw the beach at Marcia Lake and sat on the swings Marcia Lake came about due to the Wisconsin Glaciers over 200,000 years ago. You do see rock stones in the ground throughout this park. Very nice day trip. Alot of Sussex county places to visit. We went to the Holland bakery which was very inexpensive for baked goods. I was impressed with the Chatterbox in Augusta for hamburgers it was very nostallgia of the old time movies and it had a NJ state police car in the center of the restaurant. I enjoyed Sussex a different day trip from NYC and the jersey shore.
The food in the snack bar at the Beach house was very good we only had the cheese fries but the prices were very reasonable. I think to get into the park for NJ residents is only $5. before the prime summer season too.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

There some great views from the High Point Tower and also a great view of the tower off the scenic road on the way up to the tower. There are lots of picnic areas and beautiful Lake Marcia to cool off in on a hot summer day. If you’re up for some exercise there are hiking trails galore. It’s a great park to spend a summer day with the kids or a fall day to view the colorful leaves. We visited on the weekend so there was a $10.00 fee, its $5.00 on weekdays (for in NJ residents, per vehicle, Memorial Day to Labor Day).

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I disliked nothing about this beautiful place. It was nice to take pictures and the views were just amazing.