“Great for a quiet walk and bird watching in the swampy areas”

Tenafly Nature Center
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Tenafly
More attraction details
Owner description: The Tenafly Nature Center is a non-profit member-supported nature preserve. Our mission is to protect almost 400 wooded acres, all of its inhabitants and teach the next generations to do the same. Since 1961, TNC has nurtured an appreciation for nature, been a leader in open-space preservation and in environmental education for our community in Tenafly, Bergen County, and beyond.When trails are open we welcome visitors to hike, bird-watch, observe wildlife, cross-country ski, snow-shoe and ice skate on Pfister's Pond.
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Went here numerous times in 2012 during a summer spent living in Englewood (bit of a late review!).The trails are well marked and some wet areas are board-walked. They were in the process of clearing new trails and putting in more board walk sections in 2012 so they should have finished that now. There were a few animals such as birds of prey, owls etc. kept in cages by the visitor centre and they seemed to be well looked after. I would say the trails are fairly easy for anyone who does a moderate amount of walking. I would strongly advise against visiting in the evenings during summer as no amount of bug spray keeps them away, you have a constant cloud of flies around your head as soon as you get out the car and can't shake them until you leave! I also never went on a guided walk I don't really see the point, you see it all for yourself on your own, and entry is free without a guide. Overall I enjoyed it a lot and was the only piece of real nature I could find in such a built up area.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

I live close by to the Nature Center. It has several walking trails through wooded areas. Some might call them hiking trails but they do not require strenuous exertion. The paths are dirt but they are nicely maintained and generally clear of debris, so they are easy to follow. You can walk around a nice large pond, where various wildlife types can be observed, mainly ducks, birds, and frogs. The longest trail takes about 2 hours to complete round-trip. Maybe 30 minutes for the shorter trails. Good exercise! Lot of deer and wild turkeys around, although the deer camouflage themselves very well. During summer, the insects are a bit oppressive, so repellant is a must.

1  Thank Roobydoo5
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Went to the Haunted Forest tour during the fall. Nice combination of nature, animals and kids activities. The staff and the tour guide are all very nice and acted professionally. We had quite an enjoyable time till we met a terrible person at the campfire place.

He is the only male working at the campfire who is supposed to serve marshmallows to children. When we came back from the 1.5 hour tour and my son asked for one marshmallow, he refused to give one to him, who is only a six year old. He argued that one is only supposed to have one marshmallow per person (isn't that the BIGGEST joke and nonsense in the whole world!). My son did have 2 before the tour. But everyone came back for another round of marshmallow and other refreshment after the the long tour. And they are just kids and how much one more marshmallow will cost you! If that's an official rule. Ok, please publicized upfront so everyone is aware of so people don't get randomly served or discriminated. That guy finally gave one to me after some lengthy argument. But this had ruined our entire experience and my son became sad as well. I have to downgrade my rating for this otherwise a nice place. But the management needs to better select and train their staff or even volunteers. We have to think twice if we want to come back to visit again.

4  Thank northfacer
Reviewed 7 February 2013 via mobile

I went there on a file trip once and the experience was terrible. I was yelled at for touching a plant by our snooty up tight tour guide. Very rude staff. The toilet there was a hole in the ground, talk about unsanitary. I would recommend you don't waste your money on this place.

1  Thank Snekymouse1527
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I have been going here for years. The trails are easy, but interesting. There are great nature programs for children there.

1  Thank LyndaNorwood