“Excellent Food and Top-Notch Service!”
Review of Moose's Tavern - CLOSED

Moose's Tavern
Price range: US$5 - US$24
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wayside Road
Description: Located in the heart of Tinton Falls, NJ, Moose’s Tavern offers a delightful balance of delicious food and excellent service. We pride ourselves in serving Certified Angus Beef and 1855 brand pork, along with an array of pasta, chicken, and fish entrees. Don't forget about our one-of-a-kind salad bar! With happy hour at every hour, our high quality product won't leave your wallet empty. Moose's Tavern provides a warm, comfortable, and relaxing atmosphere with the best staff on the Jersey Shore. Come visit us and become a part of the Moose's Tavern family. "It's Everybody's Place!"
Ocean, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Food and Top-Notch Service!”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I have been to Moose's on many, many occasions and I can honestly say that the food and service is top-notch!!! Moose, the owner is one of a kind and always makes his customers feel welcome. I highly recommend that you stop in and try one of their delicious meals--particularly the prime rib and ribs. The salad bar also is excellent and there is a wide variety of fresh produce to choose from. For a great experience, try Moose's!!! You will keep coming back!

1 Thank JL J

DiamondGirl419
“They should have banquets down pat by now”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We attended a retirement dinner on a Saturday evening and were directed to go upstairs. I estimate that there were 50+ people at this event. Thinking we were going to a private banquet room, we were seated in a loft above the bar. There were 2 very long tables put together for family, and everyone else was told they could sit wherever there were place settings. We took a booth to seat the 6 of us, as did other guests. This was totally inconvenient because we could not see other guests nor hear speeches/announcements with the glass partitions in between booths. Add this to the fact that it was sweltering with just two ceiling fans going which did nothing but push hot air around, I prepared myself (and cringed, to be honest) for what was to come next.

The waitresses took our drink orders...Okay, that was fine. Our event was supposed to run from 7 to 9. Close to 8, they took our dinner orders. Salads didn't come until 8, and they were served at room temperature. Some of the leaves tasted a little gritty but I found the cherry tomatoes to be okay so I just ate those instead. For the entire hour, we finally asked if bread or rolls were coming out since the waitresses had placed fancy balls of butter on each table. In fact, everyone had a small bread plate as part of their place setting. Our reply was "sorry, we don't have any bread". Odd. If not for bread/rolls, what was that plate for? Surely not appetizers, since the banquet package did not include any.

Our entrees were spaced out in an odd fashion. Tuscan chicken came first. 10 minutes later came the Shrimp/Scallops dinners. Another 10 minutes passed before those who ordered steaks got theirs. With this in mind, we did not get to eat dinner in unison and that was uncomfortable. Who likes to eat while someone else has to wait 20 minutes? Some people got the wrong steak orders (i.e. well vs. medium well vs. medium rare) and it was chaos. Oh, but I'm not done yet.

I ordered the Tuscan chicken. This was a very large flattened filet of chicken breast which sat atop vegetables that were barely cooked...No seasoning...no flavor...just blah. I was pretty dismayed. Yes, it was edible, but not hot at all. My husband said his steak was good, though, which was served with a baked potato and no other side veggie (just for info)

The waitresses came around to take our dessert orders. We had a choice of creme brulee cheesecake or a brownie with your choice of ice cream flavor. This is really where things fell apart worse than the deliverance of entrees. I ordered the creme brulee cheesecake hoping this would be the highlight of the meal. Nope. It was room temperature and tasted like a sour cream cheesecake-drizzled in raspberry sauce. Not a hint of creme brulee and this was definitely a cake that had been frozen and cut up-I am positive of that. The folks who ordered brownies and ice cream waited a pretty long time..another 15 minutes because their ice cream flavors were mixed up and some orders had to be returned to the kitchen to get corrected. In fairness, my husband said his was good.

Coffee, anyone? Why sure. We placed 3 orders at our table. My friend and I went downstairs to use the ladies room (and cool off), thinking this would give the wait staff enough time to figure out who gets regular and who gets decaf. We then returned back upstairs. We were asked if we wanted coffee again. I had to explain that our coffee never arrived the first time, and that was 10 minutes ago. The waitresses were very nice and apologetic, but they were not properly trained on how to handle a large party & organize who serves what tables. The kitchen seemed to be in a tailspin too.

From what I was told, this restaurant used to be a Charlie Brown's, and it has been open under the current name Moose's Tavern for close to a year. I think a year is enough time to hone those banquet skills, and certainly enough time to come up with a game plan on how to serve food that is hot, with good presentation, and according to the order placed. I hope this restaurant sees this as constructive feedback, because honestly, I liked the decor a lot when I first entered the lobby. Lots of nice benches to sit on, unique lighting, mirror frames, and an inviting fireplace with lots of seating in dining areas downstairs. I anticipate a better grasp on things in the near future, because this restaurant could be so much better.

Red Bank, New Jersey
“Quiet family place”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Nice atmosphere, spacious dining area. The secret is still out about this little gem of a place. So its still quiet enuf to speak normally at meals. A forgotten luxury..Nice bar area for watching sports too..good food reasonable prices..Try the spring roll chicken appetizer. :) All the stuff you have read about the staff and the owner Moose, is true..

• Visited October 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great place with great value.”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Great family place and kids are welcome! They have a great salad bar, steaks and adult beverages. My kids got to make their own ice cream and loved it! The place to go tonight and any night!

1 Thank Robertbacon1967
“This place is awesome!”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I really don't know where all the bad reviews come from. This place has great food and the best owner ever! There is an excellent selection of alcohol and food, and the atmosphere makes you feel like you are at home. The owner is the nicest man on the face of the Earth and is around every night. Not only does he provide an excellent dinning establishment, but he has also helped out my family on a very personal level. Definitely check this place out!

• Visited October 2013