“I understand the gold medal, but ....”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Toms River
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Toms River
Reviewed 2 May 2013

With Clarion you expect a bit more, especially if the hotel just won a gold medal.
We drove south to Toms River on April 30th. The trees, including the Dogwood, - blossomed to excess. The term; - “Garden State” is an understatement. It should be “The Garden State With No Equal”.

I was not let down, but I was disappointed. My reservation was more than 6 months back in time and we had asked for easy access due to my wife's disability. We were given a room on the second floor without a lift. In another part of the building there as a lift for the guests on the 2nd floor?

I would chose one of the rooms 201-233 if you plan to use the exercise room. I would not choose the rooms 217 or 219 as these are adjacent to the exercise room. The rooms with the odd numbers will keep you our of the morning sun. From our room 249, we had to walk down a flight of stairs, across the building, - past the reception and up a new flight of stairs. Quite a tour, but again, -the last flight of stairs could be swapped with the lift.

When we arrived there was a truck with equipment to the ongoing convention that occupied the handicap place closest to our room. W had to park at the other side of the structure and with a rather long walk with heavy suitcases, which ended in fighting our way up the stairs. to our room.

The room was nice, the bathroom was decent with plenty of space to to all your ointments. I could not lower the temp on the AC unit however, and it was a bit noisy. Traffic noise from highway 37 was almost non-existent.

Breakfast is an extra $5 but it is well worth it with sausages, bacon and scrambled eggs.

Apart from thees hiccups, the staff was very accommodating and polite. It is not a tall hotel, but there are a lot of rooms. There is a bar on the ground floor and there is always a staff-member around to ask for help. Internet was impeccable for the whole stay. I was not “thrown out once”, - a novelty!

The hotel however, was not easy to find without GPS. It is located close to highway 37 with exit to the mule road. There is a sign as tall as the mountain of Sinai, but we were a bit stressed at the time. (Drivers in the Garden State are much more accommodating though, -than those in the Big Apple. Those are outright “fast and furious” and to help another driver in the wrong lane is probably considered an earthly sin. No so in the Garden State.)

It is a very nice hotel and I can understand why they recently were awarded a gold medal. I just fell between the safety bars apparently? You will have to pay for your breakfast.

I was absolutely flabbergasted by the havoc the storm Sandy had caused along the shoreline. You hear about the damage, but to actually see thousands of houses off their structures or just leveled into rubble, it was heartbreaking.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
CHotelTR, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Toms River, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We're glad you enjoyed your visit to our area, and would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Your feedback is very important to us, and will be reviewed closely. Again, we apologize, and hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

I just checked out today, and I would have to say this is one of the best places I have ever stayed at!!!! I was at this hotel for well over 40 days. My room was always clean, the service was always top notch! Al the bartender never seems to forget a face or name, very friendly, always going above and beyond customer service! Mike and John the 2 managers that I saw on a regular basis were always helpful; from suggesting restaurants, places to go, and even moving their car when a parking space is needed. Rosa in housekeeping always did an awesome job taking care of my room. Vera in breakfast friendly, kind, and helpful. Sandy and Brooke at the front desk honest, helpful, nice, kind, I mean I just can't say enough about these 2 people. I know I left severe people out sorry, but there is only a 200 character min. I would like to say to the owners of the property it is hard to come by great customer service, or even employee's that are as dedicated as the one's at the Clarion in Toms River, NJ, I just hope they are rewarded in an way that is equal. So, if you are going to be in the area stay at the Clarion!!! I give it an outstanding review!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Clarion Hotel Toms River. We appreciate your feedback and compliments, and we're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for recognizing so many of our staff members! We look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

I can not say enough about the staff of this hotel, they go out of their way to make sure that you are taken care of. I have been working with the hotel for the lasat 2 months - sending members of our team to the Clarion and alll reviews are GREAT!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and compliments, and we're happy that all of your associates are enjoying the hotel. We look forward to seeing everyone again soon!

Reviewed 22 April 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel for business travel. It was a very pleasant experience. The front desk staff was very nice. My sleeping room was very comfortable. Great value for the money. The breakfast buffet was a good value with basic breakfast items. Nice way to start the day!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Clarion Hotel Toms River. We appreciate your feedback and compliments. Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed 26 March 2013

Pros: clean.
Cons: old, dark, creepy guests.

I heard someone at the frontdesk tell her coworker about a person who had returned who in on previous visits bothered the guests. So, they let this person return? Twice in two days I saw "creepy guests." Once while going to use the business center. I didn't want my sister walking alone so my husband went to her room to escort her down. Another time I sat in the lobby with my niece until her boyfriend came down. I didn't want her staying in the lobby alone with the creepy guests. We ate at the Crystal Diner down the road instead of buying the Clarion breakfast. Breakfast at the diner is very good, dinner is ok/good -- depending on if you order diner food. I'm glad the Clarion was at least clean. For that reason alone, I would return but only if there was no other place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Your feedback is very important to us, and will be reviewed closely. Again, we apologize, and hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

A quick weekend trip for a hockey tournament in Tom's River, NJ. Hotel room was quite spacious and very clean. Bed was very comfy. Also had refrig and microwave which is nice. Ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel. Breakfast was hot and fresh with plenty of choices. Dinner was a special treat. The french dip steak sandwich was truly wonderful. This was also one of the quietest hotels I ever stayed in. Despite seeing plenty of people around, I did not hear any when in the room. Will definitely stay here again when in Tom's River.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JAM789
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I travel to Toms River, NJ at least twice a year on business and the service at the Clarion is Awesome! The staff there are very accomodating, pleasant and will go that extra mile to satify their customers. The complimentary breakfast provides a great variety of food that actually taste great!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood
Chateau Inn & Suites
Chateau Inn & Suites
#2 of 7 in Spring Lake

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Toms River? Share your experiences!