“Great Value Near the City”
Review of Holiday Inn Totowa

Holiday Inn Totowa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Totowa
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I travel frequently for business, so I look for consistency, value and great service in a clean, welcoming hotel environment.

I make the Holiday Inn/Totowa my choice in the greater Newark area. It's recently remodeled, the updates make a very comfortable room.

Special shout out to "Joe", the bartender in the lounge/restaurant. It's amazing to me how he can remember guests like myself, who he may only see once or twice a year! He's quite an asset to the staff! Kudos to JOE!!

Room Tip: Use your Holiday Inn frequent guest status; typically, the hotel provides updates when/where possibl...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Joan S
Mohan M, Manager at Holiday Inn Totowa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Joan S,
Thank for your great review about Holiday inn Totowa NJ .and wonderful comment about our good service dedicated staff and about our clean Hotel rooms , We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay It is always great to hear positive feed back from the guests .. It is our mission to make the guest feel welcome and comfortable. We also appreciate your business we look forward to serving you once again in the near future.
with regards .
Mohan M. GM

Reviewed 17 March 2014

This property is a bit run down. Rooms are clean but everything is old and warn. They need renovations. The night club is very nice and caters to al older crowd. Don't forget to wear your earplugs if you go.. I had room service and breakfast just average. There are many diners and Dunkin Donuts close by as well as a nice Sunday brunch within walking distance.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Carolyn M
Mohan M, Manager at Holiday Inn Totowa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Carolyn M,
Thank you for your good comments about out Hotel clean rooms and our Nice night club . You are very valued guest we take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We have taken corrective measures immediately we welcome any opportunity to improve. Please give a chance to serve you in future.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

After Hurricane Sandy, I had to travel pretty far to find electric to charge phones. I finally happened upon this hotel. The staff was very kind and allowed me to sit in the lobby for a while undisturbed whilst I charged my cell phones. Recenly in January, I had occasion to go back there for a business meeting that was held there. Again, I found the staff welcoming and kind. The public areas of the hotel are clean and well attended to. It is a little tricky getting in to and out of the parking lot due to the street entrances and exits (but after all, that's Jersey). You have to enter into what looks like a shopping center entrance and I find it easiest to exit out the back way to get back on the 46.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SharonL433
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed here during a major snow storm. The front desk staff was wonderful. Though dealing with constant calls from travelers changing plans, they were unflappable and unfailingly helpful.

Rooms were as expected, comfortable and tidy. We appreciated having the small fridge, and we booked one of the larger king rooms so it was quite spacious.

The breakfast buffet was complimentary two of the three nights we stayed, and it was a cut above the ordinary for a free hotel breakfast. Being snowed in we ate several other meals in the hotel lounge/restaurant, and the food was better than expected. The restaurant service was not very good, but they were understaffed because of the storm and it might be better under better circumstances.

Room Tip: Ask for a view overlooking the river, not the main entrance!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MusicTraveler2010
Mohan M, Manager at Holiday Inn Totowa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear Music Traveler2010,
Thank for your great review about Holiday inn Totowa NJ .and wonderful comment about clean comfortable rooms and good serveice dedicated staff .we are happy to hear that you greatly enjoyed your stay at your Holiday Inn ,It is always great to hear positive feed back from the guests .. It is our mission to make the guest feel welcome and comfortable. we look forward to serving you once again in the near future.
With regards

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I frequent the area on business . The Holiday Inn experience is as expected. It is always clean, has easy access to mid-town, and is inexpensive for the region. The staff however is exceptional. Friendly, attentive, and personal. The familiar greetings are always welcome when I am on the road.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ERC2014
Mohan M, Manager at Holiday Inn Totowa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear ERC2014,
With regards

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We paid above the normal rate because it was Valentine's Day. Not worth the bump up in the least.

Check in staff was quiet but quick and efficient. Nothing noteworthy but nothing problematic.

Hallways were lined with various garbage, like used trays and small trash to be collected by staff–it sat there through at least a shift and a half. Doors are industrial looking and HEAVY.

Upon entry to the room, layout was acceptable. "Seating area" which is just a couch and coffee table (which you pay extra for). It made the room slightly but noticeably more accommodating.

Bathroom was clean but when you closely is on disrepair. The walls had slits in the wallpaper half from moisture buildup, half wall shifting/cracking. The outlet where the wall attached blow dryer was cracked—probably not very safe—didn't use it. The tiles next to the tub aren't lined up all the way to the tub.

For the most part, there appears to be design problems that look cosmetic but hint at structural issues. The ceilings had bubbled up caulk on every space between where the drywall meets—about 4 of them—spanning the entire length of the line wall to wall. It was the top floor, so clearly they needed to plug whatever holes began forming, most likely from water damage, since there were brown water spots in a few areas besides those lines. You could see white, dried watery paint spots on the desk chair and luggage stand right under where there are bigger caulked spots in the ceiling.

We checked in around 4 pm and for the next 3 hours there was very loud, almost shouting conversation below us. It was non-stop.

The toilet overflowed just flushing a piece of toilet paper I used to wipe off makeup. We called down to ask for help, they said there was no maintenance guy. They went silent as if that should have been the end of the conversation. HELLO? THERES TOILET WATER COVERING THE FLOOR. So I had to be the one to ask for a plunger and mop. We got the plunger, and when we asked for the mop because we said we didn't want to use more towels, the woman started repeating that they had "industrial" (and/or) "commercial washing machines" over and over, like I didn't know the concept of basic laundry processes.

I went down to get a bag for the towels we were forced to use—towels people use to dry themselves clean after a shower—now soaked with toilet water. She told me I didn't really need to use a bag because the housekeeping would just take the towels in the morning..again, as if I didn't know basic housekeeping services this time. So I had to insist on a bag to put them in and put outside our room, instead if having toilet water soaked towels sitting on the bathroom floor. She must have been tired though. I know this because I stood there for about 10 seconds while she nodded off and almost hit her head on the computer she was pretending to work on to look busy before she looked up at me.

The next morning, I asked for an hour more to check out, and the woman said no problem. Great! At 1 pm (an hour after checkout) the snarky front desk woman, who clearly wasn't told we were already given the go ahead to check out an hour later, called up to the room.

"Hello?"
"CHECK OUT IS AT 12 pm."
"We asked for an extra hour and were told it was fine."
(confused, surprised, taken aback mumbling)
"OK SO YOURE CHECKING OUT NOW??"
"Um, yes???"

And I hung up.

While trying to check out, we asked for a baggage cart. We were told ALL THE CARTS were "being used for a wedding"..whatever that means??? Not one was left for other guests? One? When we brought it up the unfriendly woman replied " well they would have been available at regular checkout".

So we took an extra 20 minutes to lug all our baggage out to the car, while being harassed INCESSANTLY by the cleaning staff that wanted to get into the room. I don't know why they needed to get in there so bad, since the room didn't seem all that clean in the first place.

Would I come back?

Would you?

I didn't think so.

Here comes the empty, pointless management reply in 3, 2, 1.... GO!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Cbux
Mohan M, Manager at Holiday Inn Totowa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Cbux,
Thank you for taking time to review our property. You are very valued guest we take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We have taken corrective measures immediately we welcome any opportunity to improve. Please give a chance to serve you in future.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

This Holiday Inn location represents the brand pretty well. The rooms were modern and clean. The breakfast buffet has the usual hotel fare. The location is right off of a main road, but it is kind of a distance from New York City if you are visiting New York City. The attached restaurant, The Ruby Lounge, has an ok menu if you cannot make it to another restaurant. The only real complaint is that the front desk staff are not the friendliest. With that said, it is a very good hotel for the price.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank kandkwed
Also consider these accommodations in or near Totowa
Crowne Plaza Hotel Fairfield
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 5 in Fairfield

Been to Holiday Inn Totowa? Share your experiences!