“It’s not as bad as they say!”

Wyndham Garden Trenton
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Trenton
London
“It’s not as bad as they say!”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We had a work-related trip to Trenton, NJ, at the beginning of June, and we received our accommodation at the Trenton Marriott. When we told locals where we stayed, all we heard were apologies… but it wasn’t all that bad. To begin with, the place is way under the usual Marriott standards, but the rooms are nice, comfy and clean. The bathrooms were spotless and full of towels, although the shower was a bit too noisy. The staff were all friendly and around when needed, except the elderly lady at the front desk. All in all, the only two problems with the Trenton Marriott are the fact that they still charge you for Wifi Internet, while most budget hotels don’t, and that they’re located right next to a parking garage, where you have to pay to park your car, which is strongly suggested , based on the town’s nasty reputation.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Ben Z, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Trenton, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel.”rooms are nice, comfy and clean. The bathrooms were spotless and full of towels, the staff were all friendly and around when needed” These are very kind words and we thank you for them. We are striving to exceed each guest expectations of the hotel and we hope we were able to accomplish that during your stay. We now offer free WIFI as you and other guest have suggested. We look forward to your next visit to our constantly evolving improving hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
CLT
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Not sure how long ago they changed over from the Marriott, but the transition is very noticable. Front desk tried very hard to be nice, but they just didn't know how to handle check-ins the way a large chain would. A mild backlog turned into chaos as people were getting jumped in line and the clerks made no attempt to help monitor who was next or coordinate some kind of order. Luggage carts parked in the way and the absence of hotel lobby employees didn't help. The bar might be changing over, too, as all but one tap were empty and noone tending while I walked through. Of course, no more Marriott perks, now.

1 Thank MCCLT
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. The issues you speak of are just not acceptable no matter if we are a large chain or a small independent hotel. These issues are the responsibilities of the General Manager and in this case that is me. Bad timing is no excuse for poor service so I can assure you the issues you are speaking of will be addressed and we will strive to improve every day. I want to apologize to you for any inconvenience you had to endure during your visit and I can only hope you will give us another try and see if we can’t win you back as a loyal guest.

Travellers are raving about these Trenton hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We were visiting New Jersey for Drift Car Racing and every hotel was booked in the area. So we drove 30 minutes south toward our home and used GPS to locate the nearest hotel. This hotel came up in our search and had availability. Hotel was clean, quiet, just what we needed for rest.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jlynn_77
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. Quiet and clean and rest are all words that we in the hotel industry strive to hear. Most guest that check in to hotels are not looking for any surprises they are usually weary travelers looking for a quiet, clean hotel that treats them with kindness and respect. If a hotel is able to provide these traits to a guest you usually have a very satisfied guest. Which it sounds like you were so we thank you staying and thank you for saying you enjoyed your stay.
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Stayed at the hotel last week for work while putting on a trial at the courthouse a few blocks away. The staff was absolutely incredible and they were truly bending over backwards to make sure that our stay was pleasant. If I had any requests, the staff was more than willing to help (for example, rush copy jobs or scanning documents). They took the time to know your name, as well as our client who met us there every day.

After an extremely stressful day at court, it was wonderful to walk into the lobby and to be greeted by name and asked if I needed anything. We ate our meals at the hotel and I loved their blue cheese cobb salad. My room was spotless, the bed was incredibly comfortable and the products were great (Bath & Bodyworks). I saw one review that stated there was no mini fridge in the hotel and that's not accurate. There is a fridge in the dresser under the tv. In addition, we were not charged for WiFi.

I was familiar with the city of Trenton and I was a little nervous that the hotel would be shabby since it was no longer a part of the Marriott chain. Far from it. I hope that when the Wyndham people take it over that they realize what a treasure they have with their current staff and it continues to have the friendly boutique hotel versus the cold corporate atmosphere that you sometimes get with a chain.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 6th floor and overlooked their courtyard.
3 Thank MDF833
Wow what kind words towards our staff and our hotel. Change is never easy however seeing that people recognize the effort the staff is making to put everyone at ease and feel welcome goes along way. The hotel will continue to upgrade over the coming months and we hope as we improve you stay with us again and enjoy our hospitality. Thank you for reviewing the hotel and for noticing the effort of the staff.
cincinnati
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This hotel is probably old and rumor has it Marriott is selling it and that could be the first sign of BEWARE! The lobby is ok and they have free computers to use. The staff was nice but my room was extremely damp as everything including my next days boarding passes got damp just by sitting on a clean and dry countertop. I was also told by a shuttle driver not to leave the hotel at night as it was a bad neighborhood.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry you had an issue with your room I have followed upon your issue and found the source of the problem and have corrected it so I thank you for pointing it out to me. We have transitioned from a Marriott to an independent hotel (Lafayette Yard Hotel)however we hope to maintain the same standards that our guest are accustomed to and to exceed their expectations of service going forward. We look forward to your next visit as well as your next review.
New Jersey
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I just stayed at this hotel for one night, which was only a couple of days after they changed ownership. This hotel is no longer a Marriott, but now the Lafayette Yard Hotel & Conference Center. Considering the hassle the staff must go through to accommodate guests in the middle of changing ownership, they did a pretty good job. I stayed here for a business event that was taking place in the hotel. There were around 50 guests staying with our group, and there was some confusion with parking fees and hotel billing, but the staff eventually straightened out the problems.

Overall, the hotel is okay. My room and the hotel was basically clean, but the hotel has a bit of an older feel to it. The fitness room was decent, but nothing exceptional, and the water cooler was completely empty. Plus, the TV on my treadmill wasn't working. The hotel is conveniently located within Trenton, but the fact that they charge for parking and don't include breakfast is a turn-off.

Hopefully the new owners will upgrade this hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Godiva0318
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. Transitioning a hotel always presents its own set of challenges and I apologize for any inconvenience. However I am happy to hear we were able to straighten things out and hopefully made your stay a pleasant one. The hotel will be doing some upgrades in the next few months so I hope if the opportunity presents itself in the future you choose to visit us for business or leisure.
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

I was in Trenton on business and stayed here for that time. While the hotel itself wasn't bad, it certainly was not what I have come to expect from the Marriott chain. They charge for WiFi which is usually included in the hotels I stay at, no mini fridge in the room which forces you to either venture out for a meal or ear at their restaurant at which the food was cold and rather tasteless. Other than that, I have no major complaints about this place.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As of June 15th we are no longer a Marriott we are now an independent hotel called the Lafayette yard hotel. This has allowed us to do such things as expand the menu and add mini fridge to some of our rooms and offer free WIFI. I hope on your next visit to the Trenton you try our hotel again and see our improvements.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trenton
Residence Inn Hamilton
Residence Inn Hamilton
#3 of 3 in Hamilton
SpringHill Suites Ewing Princeton South
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hamilton
Courtyard Ewing Princeton
Hampton Inn and Suites Newtown
Howard Johnson - Princeton/Lawrenceville

Been to Wyndham Garden Trenton? Share your experiences!