“Very good stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Trenton
Oakland Gardens NY
“Very good stay”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We were in town to attend the swearing in ceremony of new attorneys which took place at the War Memorial (conveniently located next to the hotel.) Every person we dealt with at the hotel was nice, courteous and helpful. We got help bringing our bags up to the room. We asked for more towels and they came quickly. Requests for directions were met quickly with smiles and assistance. There isn't much to do near the hotel at night, and you wouldn't want to walk around so we just ate in the lounge/restaurant. They had pub style food which was perfectly fine, like you would get at a Chili's (for example) and reasonably priced. If you were hungry, the breakfast buffet was OK at $12; if you weren't, you could you buy a muffin and coffee at a "stand" next to the front desk. We got a room with two double beds. Although the bed was firm and comfortable, I've come to the conclusion that two people really need a queen sized bed to sleep well. There was a thermostat in the room but the temperature varied wildly--the difference between 67(too cold) and 68 degrees (sometimes too warm) was jarring. Perhaps the thermostat needed an adjustment. All in all, if I ever have reason to go to Trenton again on business, I would stay at the Lafayette Yard.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Ben Z, General Manager at Lafayette Park Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
To Our valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Lafayette Yard Hotel and Conference Center for your recent stay in Trenton.

Thanks again, and we hope you'll choose Lafayette Yard Hotel and Conference Center the next time you're in Trenton.

Ben Zabala

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here the last few years with the Trenton Marathon. We were told by the marathon planners that even though it was no longer a Marriott, it would be the same level of service.

Boy, were they wrong. Check in was the longest wait I've ever had, restaurant was horrible... almost like everyone who helped plan our stay wasn't there (new management team so maybe they aren't). Will definitely stay in Ewing or Hamilton next time I'm in the area, no matter who the host hotel is.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Quixote114
To Our valued Guest,

Were grateful that you took the time out to review us on Trip Advisor. And we're always eager to hear what you liked and how we can improve. The hotel have been making changes and improvements will be made. Please allow us to service you again in the near future and you will not be disappointed.

Ben Zabala

Travellers are raving about these Trenton hotels

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed here for the Trenton Doublecross Half Marathon and 10K race and I believe the hotel was at full capacity as a result of that event. Although it didn't appear that the staff was used to handling that high volume of guests for the most part they tried to make it work. The hotel itself was okay. Pretty clean and the staff was fairly friendly.

The parking wasn't an issue because although it $13 for overnight, there is a way that you can go in and out multiple times without having to pay the fee again and again.

The sleeping rooms definitely can use some updating but the beds were very comfortable and the bedding appeared clean. The beds were full instead of queen size, but I guess that as well as the location is what helps keep the room cost so affordable.

I didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel because I was just in and out for the race, but I found it odd that as the advertised host hotel Lafayette Yard didn't offer complimentary late check out to the guests. Some of my companions told me that when they requested late checkout they were told that the courtsey could only be affored to 10 sleeping rooms on any given night. Weird. So basically, we were SOL.

I mean, the half marathon started at 8am and the course was open for approximately 3 and a half hours after that. The last finishers would really have to hustle to get back to the hotel, shower and change to make it out before the noon check out time. I requested late check out and I was still locked out when I returned to my room after the race. NO BUENO

If the relationship between this hotel and the race continues, the hotel should be more knowledgeable about this type of niche clientele and be prepared to be more accomodating regarding the needs of running racers.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
To Our valued Guest,

Were grateful that you took the time out to review us on Trip Advisor. And we're always eager to hear what you liked and how we can improve. The hotel have been making changes and improvements will be made. Please allow us to service you again in the near future.

New Jersey
Reviewed 30 October 2013

had a wonderful overnight stay. Staff was very helpful and courteous. Room was clean and very nice and bed was extremely comfortable. Restaurant staff and food was great. Just a totally pleasant experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Boston
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed just one night. The hotel is tired and needs TLC. I feel I paid too much $100 bucks and then got dinged to park $13. This might be a $100+ hotel in the future, but not now. I probably would have been happier at Motel 8 for $50 bucks.

Person who took care of me at the front desk was nice. Should have explained the parking price points to me. I could have paid less because I was leaving first thing in the morning... Actually, just include parking for free.........

I was born in Trenton and wish I could be more positive, but I can't.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed 27 September 2013

First class hotel, but...
Check in at night was professional but a little quirky. Room was spacious, Good a/c and quiet. Good Internet. Breakfast Buffet was cook to order, a nice touch. Parking was free. Room was well cleaned and provided with shampoo, soap, etc.

The area is okay in the day, not for walking around at night. No places to eat besides the hotel. The hotel finishes are worn. Not everything works.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank CactusPatch
Ben Z, General Manager at Lafayette Park Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to say a few words about our hotel. A quirky desk clerk well as long as he was polite and helpful I guess I can live with quirky. The rooms are spacious and the hotel is often referred to as a nice stay and we are glad you found it to be that way as well. We look forward to your next visit to the area and hopefully another visit to our hotel.
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 19 September 2013

This hotel is "okay". The common area on the main floor smells like some kind of fruity cleaning product. The rooms are "alright" - dated and pretty clean but nothing spectacular. My ironing board was broken and would not stand up - I ironed by laying the board on the bed. Wifi was free - that's a plus. A couple of good little local restaurants nearby - a deli and Cafe Ole.
When we booked we thought we were staying at a Marriott, so we went in with Marriott expectations. If you book - don't think "Marriott" and maybe you will not be disappointed.

Biggest problem is unfriendly front desk staff. Grumpy staff make for grumpy guests. One employee literally SIGHED into the phone at me. Some customer service training would be helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank PriusGirlVA
Ben Z, General Manager at Lafayette Park Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Thank you for taking a minute and reviewing our hotel. I am sorry if my team came across grumpy. I can assure you this is not the norm we pride ourselves on treating each guest with respect and professionalism. If we failed to meet your expectations in this area I apologize and I assure you the matter will be addressed at the hotel. I am glad you found the hotel suitable for your stay and we hope you give us an opportunity to show you our improved hospitality on your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trenton
Residence Inn Hamilton
Residence Inn Hamilton
#3 of 3 in Hamilton
SpringHill Suites Ewing Princeton South
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hamilton
Courtyard Ewing Princeton
Hampton Inn and Suites Newtown
Howard Johnson - Princeton/Lawrenceville

Been to Lafayette Park Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!