“Nice staff isn't sufficient if they can't deal with rude guests”

Lafayette Park Hotel and Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Trenton
Reviewed 13 April 2014

As others suggest, there is virtually no other choice if you wish to stay in Trenton. That being said, my room was comfortable and clean, while parking was convenient and not exorbitant. Though there is much rebuilding and construction going on at the moment, none of it was especially disruptive or bothersome. Even the room rate ($89) seemed amazing for the value. Until, that is, I had to deal with THE OTHER GUESTS. Friday night was bad enough, with loud partying in the next room well past my bedtime.

But Saturday night took the cake. At 1:30 a.m. guests were loudly talking and yelling up and down the hallway outside my room. From what I could hear apparently all of the other doors were open for people to come and go between rooms. At one point someone began pounding on my door urging me to come out and join them, apparently thinking I was with their group. I called the front desk to complain and they said they would "send someone up." Things calmed down for a while but revved up once again at around 2:45, prompting me to call the front desk again. "There are people screaming in the hallway outside my room," I said. "Sir, those people rented those rooms to hold their celebration," I was told. "And I rented my room to sleep. Don't they know that celebrations are for the function rooms downstairs!?!?!?" I said, astonished at such a nonsensical justification. The desk person again promised to have security check things out. And, to his credit, eventually calm was again restored.

Nonetheless, I felt that I shouldn't let things go at that. Even with an amazingly good room rate, such rudeness and thoughtless disturbances by other guests simply shouldn't be tolerated in any hotel that professes to quality. Upon checking out the next morning, I registered my disappointment with the front desk and asked that someone in authority give me some sort of "consideration" in handling my bill, to compensate for such an unacceptable experience. Since it was Sunday morning I was told that there was no one there who could speak to me directly. They would, however, certainly pass along my complaint. Later, when I got the credit card bill, I saw that they had done nothing, as it turned out.

Room Tip: Be sure to check out the wonderful Classics used book store virtually directly across the street.
3  Thank DoeHEAD
Ben Z, General Manager at Lafayette Park Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to say a few words about our hotel. I am happy you found the hotel and our staff to your liking I am sorry you had a bad experience with another guest. Our hotel does provide overnight security to prevent these types of things from occurring but it does occasionally happen. We look forward to your next visit so we may show off our newly renovated hotel.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Remember you are in Trenton and it is a very dangerous town.Lot's of shootings, etc...Now get past that and this is a beautiful hotel. The room was very clean and comfortable and I got some sleep because it was very quiet :) Breakfast could have been better-need some more food. Why put out milk when there is no cereal? CAUTION: if you want unlimited access to the parking garage to come and go as you please, you will be paying $13 a day. The hotel does not own the garage- the city does. I was told to come back before 10:30pm because "Trenton gets crazy". Be aware of your surroundings.

1  Thank xlilacdiva79

Thank you for taking the time to say a few words about our hotel. If you thought our hotel was beautiful we are excited for you to see the now renovated version. Along with the renovations we have increased the lighting out front to make it a brighter safer environment for our visitors. I assure you on your next visit I will have have cereal for your milk.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

This hotel is much nicer than the reviews would imply. I arrived about 5:00 PM on 03/09/14 to a very friendly and well informed desk clerk. I asked for a quiet room and was given #601. The room was very clean, very comfortable, and the digital clock had even been reset for daylight savings time.

The bed seemed new, or at least not very old. Given the other reviews, I was not expecting this nice. The only negative I can name is that the elevators are a little slow

I will definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for something quiet...
1  Thank CorvairGuy

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am pleased that our hotel was able to exceed your expectations. If you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future you will find a newly renovated hotel. We thank you for staying and we hope to show you an even more beautiful hotel on your next visit.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

The Trenton waterfront where the hotel is located is a surprisingly nice area, given the stereotypes about Trenton, both the riverfront for walking or jogging or biking or whatever and for the small historic downtown area with shops and restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel. The Lafayette itself is well organized, the rooms are modern and comfortable, wifi is free, off-street parking is easy and close for $13/day (and night), and the room rate is quite reasonable, especially if you ask for the special rate of $89 they use for parties and other events. Just call and insist—they're very accommodating. If you have to go to Trenton for anything, this is a great deal.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank EastMainer
Ben Z, General Manager at Lafayette Park Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

To my valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Lafayette Yard Hotel and Conference Center for your recent stay in Trenton. We appreciate your business and hope to service you in the near future.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Due to the extreme weather and people that work in the city attempting to exit, I had a very difficult, hours-long attempt to exit the city of Trenton. (In 2 hours I moved only 2 blocks!) Thank God for the Lafayette! I decided to stay at the Lafayette since I had on a good day an hours drive ahead of me. Due to this snow storm, Friends, family members and coworkers endured several hours of hazardous driving. Staying at the Lafayette, that burden was taken from me. To add to my pleasure, the Lafayette offers a special rate for days like today. So I enjoyed a great rate, a very clean, spacious, well-maintained hotel & room; restaurant, and a nice staff. I especially like that the parking is under-roof so that I do not have to remove snow and ice, again. Sure, it is $13 a day, but someone did review saying that there is a way in and out throughout the day to see this historical city without having to pay more than the daily $13. After this stay, I want to return to stay with my husband to enjoy the Lafayette and tour this city. From my window I can see intriguing historical buildings and structures; and I wish I could get out there but it is 6 degrees and the windchill is unsafe. So I am coming back!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

To Our valued Guest,

Thanks again, and we hope you'll choose Lafayette Yard Hotel and Conference Center the next time you're in Trenton.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

This hotel is tired and out of date and smells bad in the halls and rooms. It recently seems to have been dropped by Marriott and no wonder. The rooms are sort of clean, and the place is cheap. But the bed was horrible.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

To Our valued Guest,

Were grateful that you took the time out to review us on Trip Advisor. And we're always eager to hear what you liked and how we can improve. The hotel have been making changes and improvements will be made. Please allow us to service you again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

I went to this hotel with my teenage daughter and her friend directly off of the train from New York City.
The roads were impassable and we needed to stay overnight. I was given a great rate and welcomed by the very kind staff. The room was clean and had everything we needed.
I even used the exercise room the next day which was very nice. My daughter and her friend had breakfast in the restaurant, also very good.

Stayed: January 2014

Ben Zabala

Also consider these accommodations in or near Trenton
Sheraton Bucks County Hotel
Red Roof Inn Princeton - Ewing
Red Roof Inn Princeton - Ewing
#1 of 3 in Lawrenceville
Howard Johnson - Princeton/Lawrenceville
SpringHill Suites Ewing Princeton South
Red Roof Inn Philadelphia Oxford Valley
Hilton Garden Inn Hamilton

Been to Lafayette Park Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!