“Should get a refund”

Lafayette Park Hotel and Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Trenton
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Terrible. I understand that it was sold and going through a remodeling. That should have been known ahead of time. The front desk personnel were terrific however. NO FOOD. Restaurant was closed and there was no food available in the whole city. A state capital and nothing is open on Sunday? Really? No business office. Computers didn't work. Tv was Analog. Wasn't clear at all.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank David C
Ben Z, General Manager at Lafayette Park Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Hello and thank you for taking the time to say a few words about out hotel. I am sorry that your trip was not as enjoyable as you may have hoped. As you have stated we were under renovations and had to limit our restaurant hours and yes being a State Capital most of the restaurants in the city are closed on Sunday. I hope the front desk offered you food locations that are available on Sunday via delivery or a short cab or car ride away. On your next visit please ask for me personally and I would love to show you are newly remodeled restaurant and lounge that have been constructed to handle late night weekend travelers such as yourself. Thank you for staying we hope to see you again on your next trip.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

While the review is for the Lafayette Yard, I want to publicly thank the Marriott Spring hill staff at Ewing , Anthony and Chris for helping me find the place at 3AM in the morning. For some reason all the hotel rooms were booked in the area. Both Chris and Anthony called until they talked with Erica, the late night clerk at the Lafayette to reserve me a room.

Once at the Lafayette I found that they were no longer part of the Marriott family, however Erica was courteous, helpful, and attentive. There was no bellman on duty but the security guard assisted me with my bags. In the morning I received a free continental breakfast. The only down side was the hotel common areas were being renovated which caused problems in navigating the property. Thank you to Lafayette Yard for helping a weary traveller.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hello and thank you for taking the time to say a few words about out hotel. I am extremely pleased that multiple Front Desk agents who have no affiliation from two different companies could work together and take what I was sure a stressful situation and turn it into a positive one for you at the end of a long day. In our industry the one thing we can all offer at no charge is our ability to be helpful and courteous. It is nice to see that both are alive and well in both Ewing and Trenton NJ. Thank you for staying we hope to see you again on your next trip.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

First it took the clerk 15 minutes to come to the desk. Then he issued me a key for a room that was already occupied. It took him another 7 minutes to be at the desk for a new room assignment. He claimed it was the 3rd time that night that that had happened due to a computer malfunction. If this is true I do not fault him, but it would make sense after the first one or two to have a paper list off to the side.
Then in the morning, I was not sure if Breakfast was part of the deal but the lady at the desk said yes. I went to get some and the waiter asked for a voucher, which I had never been given.
The Location and room itself was fantastic. I also took advantage of the fitness room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Jonathan M
Ben Z, General Manager at Lafayette Park Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to say a few words about our hotel. I personally apologize for the issues you had with your room no matter what the reason for the problem you as the guest should never have to experience that problem. And I as the General Manager take full responsibility for that and I will do my best to correct this from happening in the future. I hope when you are in the area in the future you stop by and see the changes made at the hotel and introduce yourself so I can personally apologize.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

As others suggest, there is virtually no other choice if you wish to stay in Trenton. That being said, my room was comfortable and clean, while parking was convenient and not exorbitant. Though there is much rebuilding and construction going on at the moment, none of it was especially disruptive or bothersome. Even the room rate ($89) seemed amazing for the value. Until, that is, I had to deal with THE OTHER GUESTS. Friday night was bad enough, with loud partying in the next room well past my bedtime.

But Saturday night took the cake. At 1:30 a.m. guests were loudly talking and yelling up and down the hallway outside my room. From what I could hear apparently all of the other doors were open for people to come and go between rooms. At one point someone began pounding on my door urging me to come out and join them, apparently thinking I was with their group. I called the front desk to complain and they said they would "send someone up." Things calmed down for a while but revved up once again at around 2:45, prompting me to call the front desk again. "There are people screaming in the hallway outside my room," I said. "Sir, those people rented those rooms to hold their celebration," I was told. "And I rented my room to sleep. Don't they know that celebrations are for the function rooms downstairs!?!?!?" I said, astonished at such a nonsensical justification. The desk person again promised to have security check things out. And, to his credit, eventually calm was again restored.

Nonetheless, I felt that I shouldn't let things go at that. Even with an amazingly good room rate, such rudeness and thoughtless disturbances by other guests simply shouldn't be tolerated in any hotel that professes to quality. Upon checking out the next morning, I registered my disappointment with the front desk and asked that someone in authority give me some sort of "consideration" in handling my bill, to compensate for such an unacceptable experience. Since it was Sunday morning I was told that there was no one there who could speak to me directly. They would, however, certainly pass along my complaint. Later, when I got the credit card bill, I saw that they had done nothing, as it turned out.

Room Tip: Be sure to check out the wonderful Classics used book store virtually directly across the street.
3  Thank DoeHEAD

Thank you for taking the time to say a few words about our hotel. I am happy you found the hotel and our staff to your liking I am sorry you had a bad experience with another guest. Our hotel does provide overnight security to prevent these types of things from occurring but it does occasionally happen. We look forward to your next visit so we may show off our newly renovated hotel.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Remember you are in Trenton and it is a very dangerous town.Lot's of shootings, etc...Now get past that and this is a beautiful hotel. The room was very clean and comfortable and I got some sleep because it was very quiet :) Breakfast could have been better-need some more food. Why put out milk when there is no cereal? CAUTION: if you want unlimited access to the parking garage to come and go as you please, you will be paying $13 a day. The hotel does not own the garage- the city does. I was told to come back before 10:30pm because "Trenton gets crazy". Be aware of your surroundings.

1  Thank xlilacdiva79

Thank you for taking the time to say a few words about our hotel. If you thought our hotel was beautiful we are excited for you to see the now renovated version. Along with the renovations we have increased the lighting out front to make it a brighter safer environment for our visitors. I assure you on your next visit I will have have cereal for your milk.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

This hotel is much nicer than the reviews would imply. I arrived about 5:00 PM on 03/09/14 to a very friendly and well informed desk clerk. I asked for a quiet room and was given #601. The room was very clean, very comfortable, and the digital clock had even been reset for daylight savings time.

The bed seemed new, or at least not very old. Given the other reviews, I was not expecting this nice. The only negative I can name is that the elevators are a little slow

I will definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for something quiet...
1  Thank CorvairGuy

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am pleased that our hotel was able to exceed your expectations. If you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future you will find a newly renovated hotel. We thank you for staying and we hope to show you an even more beautiful hotel on your next visit.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

The Trenton waterfront where the hotel is located is a surprisingly nice area, given the stereotypes about Trenton, both the riverfront for walking or jogging or biking or whatever and for the small historic downtown area with shops and restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel. The Lafayette itself is well organized, the rooms are modern and comfortable, wifi is free, off-street parking is easy and close for $13/day (and night), and the room rate is quite reasonable, especially if you ask for the special rate of $89 they use for parties and other events. Just call and insist—they're very accommodating. If you have to go to Trenton for anything, this is a great deal.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank EastMainer
Ben Z, General Manager at Lafayette Park Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

To my valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Lafayette Yard Hotel and Conference Center for your recent stay in Trenton. We appreciate your business and hope to service you in the near future.

Ben Zabala

Also consider these accommodations in or near Trenton
Sheraton Bucks County Hotel
Hyatt Place Princeton
Hyatt Place Princeton
#4 of 15 in Princeton
SpringHill Suites Ewing Princeton South
Element Ewing Princeton
Courtyard Ewing Princeton
Candlewood Suites Bordentown/Trenton

Been to Lafayette Park Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!