“"Can't wait to go back"” 5 of 5 bubbles

Surrey Beach House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ventnor City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bernardston, Massachusetts
“"Can't wait to go back"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is a wonderful little boutique hotel, at a great location right next to the beach. Our kitchenette room was very clean and comfy. Manager Suzanne and her staff bent over backwards to make our stay everything we were hoping for. Suzanne hosted a manager's reception on the Saturday night that we were there and we ended up sticking around sharing stories about similar adventures in our lives. This was our first time at the Jersey shore and as someone who grew up in Florida, I had my doubts, but the beautiful white sand beach in Ventnor City did not disappoint. We were so impressed, that we booked a return visit for next year, with Suzanne.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SurreyBeachHouse, General Manager at Surrey Beach House, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Hi Dan!

Thank you so much for you kind words about Surrey Beach House!

We strive to make each of our guests feel like they are home!
I enjoyed our converstaion on the porch that night as well, it's always great to get to know our guests, not to mention we were nieghbors when I lived in MA!

We are looking forward to your next stay! Enjoy your summer

Suzanne Castillo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

My wife and I spent a relaxing week here. It reminded us of the family hotels at the shore from our youth. We had a studio and the kitchenette was just right to cook small meals. Restaurants in AC are overpriced, so cooking in your suite is a real plus. The porch was great place to sit and read a mystery and sip wine. The location was great--half a block to the AC Boardwalk and about a 30 minute stroll to the heart of the action in AC. The staff was friendly and made sure you had what you needed whether it be fresh towels or a freshly baked cupcake in the afternoon. They know their guests and always greet you with a smile and friendly conversation. Would stay here again without hesitation. Some complain about parking, but there was only one minor inconvenience when they clean the streets on Tuesday mornings, and your car has to be moved to the next block early in the morning or the night before. We also appreciated that the hotel had a quiet time which was respected by all guests.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Robert,

Thank you for the kind words about Surrey Beach House.

We are so happy you had a great stay while in Ventnor, we strive to make each and every guest feel like they are at home.

We look forward to your next visit with us!

Horsham, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I've stayed at surrey quite a few times now and never disappointed. The staff is wonderful, the rooms are spotless, and the location so close to the beach is just so nice. The beach house has a European feel. The manager is awesome. We needed to get into the room a bit early due to a wedding and reception and she did everything possible and got us in early. Same with checkout -she was so accommodating - just not something you would get at a larger hotel. Thanks Suzanne!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrea L
Hi Andrea!!

Thank you for your kind words about Surrey Beach House!

We are always happy to assist our guests with special requests such as in your
situation. We are always delighted to hear from our guests about their stays and get to know them.
We look forward to your next visit with us!

Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

The Surrey Beach House is a little jewel in ventnor, that offers the lucky people who choose to stay there a homelike atmosphere with cozy rooms that include a kitchenette and breakfast nook. As a home that's been converted into a boutique hotel that has both a furnished porch and upper balcony, the Surrey is highlighted by the fact that it is only steps away from the boardwalk and beach, and only a few blocks from several terrific breakfast, lunch and high end dinner spots.

Having stayed at the Surrey several times,I.would say that it is my favorite summer retreat, in part, because it is away from the congestion of the casino hotels, and also because of the staff at the beach house. In particular, the Surrey's Innkeeper, Kevin Palek, is so warm, friendly and attentive to all the guests, and goes out of his way to offer helpful suggestions of places to eat and things to do. Because of his personable nature, one can't help but feel comfortable, and want to return again and again. Kim, who also assists at the front desk, and Victor, who keeps the rooms at the Surrey spotless, are two other people who make this beach house a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the first level. Also there is no pool,but who needs a pool when you have the b...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Harriet S
KevinPalek, General Manager at Surrey Beach House, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Surrey Beach House! It is appreciated that you took the time to help write a review about us for others to read and learn about us. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to your next stay with us. I also really appreciate the kind words that you had about myself.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I had a group of 4 men stay here during September before a race in AC. We were surprised at the cleanliness of the rooms and the great job the manager Kevin did with all my questions pre booking and during my stay.
Will definitely recommend the Surrey Beach to all my medical professional friends

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KevinPalek, General Manager at Surrey Beach House, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for your kind words. I personally am very happy that I could make your vacation a memorable one. The staff and I would be happy to have you as our guest again anytime. We hope to see you again soon, and thank you again for your positive feedback.
Nutley, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I belong to Tan Travel Advantage Club, they have rooms at Surrey Beach House not so nice was not happy,The first room I was put in smelled so bad, so Kevin the manager on duty switch us into another room if it was not for the kindness and understanding of Kevin we would of packed up our bags and went home. Tan Travel Advantage once again you have disappointed us.
Not all rooms at the Surrey Beach House are horrible it s just the ones Tan puts their customers up in.
Now for the people that run the Surrey Beach House: All I can say is Thank you, you guys were amazing especially Kevin because of you is why we stood.... Thank You for being so amazing,
Janet, Toni, Mario, and Antoinette

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Janet S
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. I was happy that I could make your stay better, as I want all of our guests to enjoy their stay. We did take care of the issues you mentioned so we thank you for bringing them to our attention. We truly did enjoy you as a guest of Surrey Beach House, and I hope to have you back soon.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

We visited the Surrey Beach House this past week for a one night stay. I had read the positive reviews about it in Tripadvisor and felt pretty confident. Plus, I loved the idea that it was a mere steps to the boardwalk. We arrived and had a pleasant interaction with Kevin, the manager. He gave us our keys and beach tags, but I was not made aware of some of the amenities offered to the other reviewers. I was not made aware of the availability of beach chairs, beach towels, or soda and water. It was prime beach weather when we arrived, so we dropped our bags- observed the clean room that was pleasantly decorated and headed out. The "warts" did not come out until we came back to the room for showers. First, we found it very difficult to turn the shower off. Unlike almost all shower shut off valves this one needed to be turned around twice to fully turn it off. By the time you figure that out, you can practically get burned by the hot water streaming from the shower head. The next major letdown was with the TV. It got virtually no reception. When I asked the only SBH employee I could find in the evening, she told me to look in the black binder they have available in the room for the channels they get. We looked and found that someone had crossed off all of the channels with a pen and after going through all channels with the remote, we found that to be true. There was only one channel that worked clearly without pixels. Needless to say, at that point in the night (10:00 PM). I did not want to seek out the-not so helpful employee-on duty again. A third very negative experience was when I went to use the microwave to heat my coffee. Bottom-line-it did not work. Looking back, I wish I had brought these issues to Kevin's attention. Perhaps he could have helped in some way, however, although he only available part of the time and it feels like a "one man show". I saw him several times in my one night visit, but otherwise there was no one at the desk and it was not apparent who was in charge when he was not there. A phone number to contact Kevin is posted. We were considering staying at the beach a second night, but would not consider staying at Surrey. The rate was certainly too high a price to pay for a mid-week rental and the facilities they offer. Sadly, although we love Ventnor, we will not return and I could not recommend others stay there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Adventurers-PA
KevinPalek, General Manager at Surrey Beach House, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Thank you for your feedback as it greatly appreciated. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for not being there as much as you would have liked. We are a small boutique hotel and have a small homey staff. We do not staff the front desk 24hours like a hotel chain would. However, I am available at all times of the day and wish you would have reached out to me so I could have made your stay easier and more pleasant.
As for the problems you encountered during your stay, I have already looked into these issues myself and they do not exist anymore. Also for staying only one night you did encounter my staff and I on several occasions and we always try to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
Thanks for your review, as we are always looking to improve our services and amenities for the guests experience. After going over your review I also noticed you did say it was a nice and clean room but we only received an average rating from you for those categories. Any suggestions on that would also be greatly appreciated. Please get in touch with me (Kevin) and I would like to hear your feedback and also maybe you would consider giving us another chance.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventnor City
Harrah's Resort Atlantic City
Harrah's Resort Atlantic City
#5 of 50 in Atlantic City
4.0 of 5 bubbles 15,041 reviews

Been to Surrey Beach House? Share your experiences!