“Summer….not so good”

Domenico's
Ranked #2 of 55 Restaurants in Ventnor City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Domenico's is a fine dining Italian, Mediterranean BYOB restaurant.
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is the first time I've been back to Domenico's since November. I couldn't wait to return with my mom, sis and brother in law (real foodies). I had been bragging about my last experience and was eager to share this dining experience with them.We made our reservation for 7:00 on Saturday and arrived on time and were immediately seated. We were then greeted by our unenthusiastic server as she clearly did not want to be there. We were told the specials and my sister was interested in the scallop appetizer special but does not like truffle. The waitress said that it could be eliminated and would still be a good choice. I ordered the beet salad, mom figs wrapped in bacon and stuffed with blue cheese, brother in law, mussels. My sister's scallops arrived with the truffle that she specifically did not order, my beet salad was roughly about 8 pieces of arugula with maybe a 1/2 of beet chopped small and some crumbled cheese, my mom's 4 tiny figs (disgrace) and a bowl of mussels red (no complaints with that dish). The chef/owner immediately came to the table when my sister sent the scallops back, apologizing for the mistake and replaced them truffle free. He left the truffle scallops for the rest of the table to share. They were large and cooked perfectly. In between our app and entree, we ordered the burrata cheese, which we waited almost 20 minutes. Not worth the wait! For my entree I ordered the linguini with clams and squash. It was grossly over salted, so I thought, until I noticed the layer of sand on the bottom of the dish. It was absolutely disgusting!!! My sister ordered the linguini with seafood. She needed to hunt down our waitress for some lemon just to make it taste like something. This dish also had sand, but not nearly as much as the clams and squash. The other 2 ordered veal dishes that were decent, not great. Desert time…..carrot cake! This is delicious and we all loved it!!
Feeling embarrassed at the huge fuss I made about this place, I try to explain to my sister and brother in law that I was super disappointed as well and maybe the summer is not the time to come here. So, just as we are waiting for our miserable server to come back with our check, the hostess comes over to the table and tells us that we have to leave because she needs the table!?? We couldn't be happier to get out of there, only we needed our credit card. After all, if they were so anxious to turn the table so quick, maybe they should've gotten our order correct and also not keep us waiting 20 minutes for a piece of cheese. We did tell the owner that we were trying to leave when we were so rudely asked to, but were waiting for our check to come back. The hostess was told by the owner that we were waiting….the hostess was unapologetic.
In conclusion, I had a wonderful meal here in November and a terrible meal here in July. Either way, I will not need to return, not when Steve and Cookies is a 5 minute drive away.

3  Thank kimberly s

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Two couples on a Saturday night in July. Crowded with affluent diners. Good service but the food was just ok and very expensive. More than $200 for 4 appetizers and entrees. Bring your own wine! The veal and crab was bland. Edible but unexciting. Something was missing fro the sauce. Dessert was good but not outstanding. The prices were New York but the food was not. I would probably chose one of the many other Italian restaurants on the island with better food and cheaper prices next time. Very noisy as well.

2  Thank BusinessTraveler967
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We ALWAYS have a wonderful dinner at Domenico's when on the shore...or anywhere near it! And last night's dinner was one of the best. We had the meatball appetizers, the special mozzarella pocket with soft cheese appetizer. BOTH were VERY yummy. I had the salmon special and my husband had the swordfish special. We are big fish lovers and these were both amazingly prepared. But the best part is that the restaurant is small and you feel like you're all part of the party. The service was great and SUPER accommodating. We introduced our friends to it last night and we will all be back many, many times. Thank you, Domenic, for another wonderful evening with friends!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The food was consistently very good around the table with the veal chop parm and pork chop specials and fish specials, which are common specials, absolutely outstanding. The wait staff is also very knowledgable regarding the menu and, even when crowded, willing to make accommodations. A bit noisy inside. Reservation recommended but they try to fit everyone in, particularly later in the evening.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Amazing Italian dishes in a cozy setting. Fennel sausage appetizer was homemade and my veal ragu and parpadelle pasta was divine. Everyone was blown away by their delicious food. If you love veal parmesan don't miss the bone-in monster!