“Ski close to NYC”
Review of Mountain Creek

Mountain Creek
Ranked #4 of 10 things to do in Vernon
More attraction details
Owner description: Mountain Creek is a unique gateway to the mountain lifestyle for millions of local urban and suburban adventure seekers. It is the NY metro area’s closest ski resort, located 47 miles from the George Washington Bridge in Vernon, NJ. Mountain Creek offers over 167 acres of terrain on 4 mountain peaks with 100% night skiing and the region’s highest vertical. The resort also hosts the region’s only true All-Mountain Terrain Park at Mountain Creek South.
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The mountain has a nice vertical drop, but the crowds make it sometimes scary to ski. Having to take off skis at the Cabriolet (main) lift was not a highlight. Expect to pay $30 for a nice parking spot near the lifts - even then the lot closed minutes after I came in at 10AM. There's cheaper premium, and free parking too - more walking.

1  Thank Gennadiy B

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Fun place to ski; trails are a decent size, food selection includes healthy choices, & the staff was helpful. It may have been the holidays, but be prepared for a long rental line (we waited an hour & half) The only major con was the cigarette smoking. There doesn't seem to be designated smoking areas, which in such a healthy recreational place, seems like there should be. We would go back, but with our own equipment or with rentals handled ahead of time

1  Thank Isabayta
Reviewed 27 December 2013

If you want to disappoint the children in your life, try buying Mountain Creek gift cards!

I would like to warn others of the dismal experience I had this Christmas trying to accomplish the simple task of purchasing Mountain Creek gift cards for two kids so they could try snowtubing. One thinks this would be easy, but I am sure that purchasing ObamaCare is effortless by comparison. Five phone calls, four trips to the website, three attempts to purchase, two gift cards that never arrived and one really annoyed purchaser (ME!).

The gift cards are buried on the website under "discount cards" which they are not---one phone call to figure that out. They require names, addresses, birthdates, phone numbers and passwords for the "guests" (gift card recipients). There is no easy way to get to the purchase screen and then it appears they want all of that information for the purchaser also, which when entered appeared to wipe out the guest information (impossible to tell.) After calling Mountain Creek for help on this, they called me back two days later. By then, I had tried again but had to re-enter everything. I finally figured this out, but not without aggravation which still continues. One representative (hard to get your phone call answered at all) even indicated that they (Mountain Creek) did not know what they were doing with these cards, had not seen the website screens themselves, and could not verify what they would actually be good for.

I finally got verification for the order on 12/19. Today, 12/27, they are still not here (I live about 20 miles away). When I called, I was told that they do not mail them out, I have to pick them up! That's news to me and the others I talked to on previous phone calls. When I asked for a supervisor, the representative looked up my order and said that the gift cards had been processed and mailed today, but she could not tell where they were mailed to, me or the recipients.

OMG. How about just making this easy on the website or hanging them on a rack in every grocery store like everyone else!

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Over the summer I went to the waterpark with friends. We loved the almost all the rides (we were 15 yrs old). The only bad thing was walking up hill after hill to get to rides, and on that 100 degree day the pavement was so hot our feet were peeling and in pain at the end of the day. Another scare was when someone got seriously injured on a ride we just went on, but I guess that is a risk of any water ride. Overall we had a really great time, but the layout could use some work.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

This place is great for biking during the summer. I go almost every weekend and it is one of the best place around. It was very fun and a bit challenging. I can admit however that the beginner bike trails were a bit hard for my friend who went with me one time. If you plan on going take and are new to downhill biking or not used to rocks take greenhorn to alpine both are smooth and even though alpine is a black diamond just do not do the wall rides or jumps. Also some of the black diamonds are just jumps and drops that you don't have to do. But go slow (not to slow but slow enough that you can stop if you cant do anything also ask at the front desk) on your first ride threw each trail because some things look easy but end up being very hard. Also the staff is very nice and very helpful. But always use good judgment.