“Stay Away On Weekends!”

Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary
Reviewed 2 February 2013

First of all, there is no restaurant (however, the lodge is next door, but no room service). Parents allow their kids to run amok through the hallways at all hours. The channel selection is pathetic, and if the hotel is busy, internet is nearly non-existent. But if you like to ski on ice 45 minutes from NYC, it's great.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

We actually rented our 2 bedroom unit from Appalachianhotelnj.com so I can't speak about services as we rented direct from owner. Hotel was very nice overall. Very good location for Skiing Right at the base of the mountain. Our room had a full kitchen so we ate all our meals there. Be aware There are limited dining options if you're an overnight guest. Great for kids and a great place to learn to ski

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Jenowenbo
Reviewed 25 December 2012

We stayed just overnight. Arrived about 7:30 pm. We had access to the beautiful indoor biosphere pool and other facilities. Lots of sports. Basketball court, gym, tennis etc.. We were to tired to go to the resturant kites, so they delivered to our room, pretty quickly, yes I agree with other reviews that the food is terrible. We stuck to an assortment of apps, wings, salad etc... Room was clean and comfortable. I went to the spa for a facial and pedicure. Excellent.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rickysmydog
Reviewed 12 November 2012

My husband had an overnight visit at the Mountain Creek resort. We arrived late and were very tired and hungry. We were told upon arriving that all the resort restaurants were booked, so we would have to eat off the resort. No one ever mentioned having to book reservations ahead of time for the restaurants. Keep in mind this is fairly remote area, so there is not a lot to choose from.

These may seem like picky things, but when you have traveled 12 hours in a day all you want is a hot meal, shower, and bed. The hot water was broken, so we couldn't take a hot shower. The remote to the television was broken. The restaurants were booked, so we ordered a pizza that took an hour and a half to arrive . We tried to get a snack from the vending machine and it was broken. The bed was very uncomfortable and the sheets were scratchy.

I did call back and complain and the girl on the phone acted like she could have cared less and never even offered an apology. They are very overpriced for the service they provide.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ladykylie
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We stayed here for one night in October 2012. The hotel grounds are very nice, and our room was quite large. Our room was even ready by 10 am! We were on the first floor, and had a separate bedroom area, even though there were no doors separating it from the main room. The switch-controlled fireplace was a nice touch. The televisions were a little dated, but worked just fine. The bathroom was nice, but the handle for the shower water was falling off. The patio was very nice, and the weather was kind enough to cooperate so that we could sit outside with some drinks during the day. There was no wifi, and there was no faceplate on the phone, so I just dialed 0 to try and reach the front desk, and no one picked up. There was also no paperwork in the room (phone book, hotel info, maps, etc), which could have been helpful. The mattress was a little hard, but that was not a deal breaker. The heated pool was very nice. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We booked a room this past weekend for the Tri-State Super Spartan race at Mountain Creek. We were referred to this "resort" by a friend and although the rooms were quite expensive, we figured this this would be our splurge weekend. Boy were we disappointed.

Out fist impression of the hotel was that it was quite nice, although nothing to write home about. The room was average, however the air intake vent for the air conditioning was located in the main room and the metal door to it rattled quite noisily every time the unit turned on. We eventually had to leave the door open for the night to reduce the noise.

There are two TV's in the room, one in the main living room area and one in the bedroom however there was only one remote to work both TV's. Not a major inconvenience if it was just me and my wife, but since our kid was staying with us sleeping on the pull out sofa bed in the living room, sharing a tv remote was just absurd.

The mattress was just plain TERRIBLE. I don't think I have slept on a harder set of springs in my life. Needless to say, sleep was very restless, just what we needed before a Super Spartan.... Who knew that the challenges would start before the actual race.

The biggest surprise came the next morning when a box of cupcakes that we left on the kitchen counter was infested with red ants. I'm not talking about a few, I mean what you would find on your sidewalk if you dropped ice cream by an ant hill. There was literally a steady stream of ants from behind the counter to the box of cupcakes and filled the dishwasher. I attempted to call the front desk from the room but no one would answer. After walking to the front desk, I spoke to the person behind the counter who assured me that maintenance would be up within the half-hour. Later, upon check-out, maintenance still had not arrived. When I told the front desk about it, all they told me was that they were busy and didn't have the time to come up. I voiced my displeasure, especially after haven paid $200 for a one night stay, but it fell on deaf ears, without even the opportunity to speak with a manager.

All in all, I think the hotel has potential, however given the current management I could not recommend anyone spending the night there. For the money, you can get much better quality at a much cheaper resort or hotel where they actually make an effort at customer relations.

Room Tip: Honestly, I would avoid The Appalachian and try one of the other resorts in the area.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Fireboot
Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

We rented a condo at black creek sanctuary.
Liked:
The Pool
Fishing
Water park nearby (2 min drive)
Mini golf
Friendly people who live in the condos year round. Met lots of sociaable people at the bbq are etc

On second day was visited by family of 3 bears right outside the patio screen door. Made for interesting times.

• Stayed: August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Grand Cascades Lodge
High Point Country Inn
High Point Country Inn
#1 of 1 in Wantage
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chester - Monroe - Goshen

Been to Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary? Share your experiences!