Just spent Saturday night here to ski Sunday.
The hotel room was okay. The paint was fresh with no gashesin the walls from skis that I expected. Room was a good size with sofa and kitchenette (but smelled from the last guest's breakfast). Wood trim was nice and in great shape. Bathroom was roomy. Great water pressure in the shower and bath towels were surprisingly nice. Rug seemed clean enough. I wonder if it was just a coincidence that the room phone didn't work to call the front desk?
The downsides....... Walls and ceilings are paper-thin with a lot of noise all around. Bed was AWFUL! Not a stitch of comfort from the rock-hard bed and scratchy linens. Headboard was attractive but painful if you hit the molding all over it. Tiny TV (good channel selections). Could not manage the thermostat - just opened the door and window to cool off. Curtains did not darken the room once morning came.
Our biggest turn offs....... Checkout is Noon which isn't bad these days. If you want late checkout, not a problem.... with a fee of $50 for 2 hours. The room keys are deactivated at Noon. I was trying to get my last bit of luggage out at 12:06pm and couldn't get in the room. Had to go to the front desk to reactivate the key and was sternly reminded of a Noon checkout.
Overall, the hotel is crawling with children on the weekend who run everywhere with little attention from parents. I think many of the unit owners get comfortable to think they own the hotel an can do what they want. I didn't use the outdoor heated pool, but every child in the hotel did use it late in the evening.
There is no restaurant on site, but there is a lobby bar that for some reason thinks you keep red wine is a freezing cold refrigerator. There is some sort of very limited bagel/muffin breakfast at the bar in the AM, but recommend you go out (see Mixing Pot reviews).
Skiing was okay too. I'm a terrible skier and thought I wouldn't survive the ice. Only the lower trails were icy. Higher up (greens) were pretty good.
Red Tail pub had much to be desired with weak drinks and very unfriendly service IF you were over 35. The young bartenders seemed to give fine service to their peers.
We'd probably ski here agan, but unlikely stay here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mountain Creek offers luxury hotel and vacation condo rental lodging for your Appalachian Mountain vacation in Northern New Jersey. The surrounding Vernon Valley area offers fantastic dining, 12 golf courses, antiquing, wineries, horseback riding, apple orchards, quaint shops, stunning state parks, the Space Farms zoo, hiking and of course, world-class snowboarding, skiing and snow tubing in the winter. Your perfect family getaway or romantic weekend to remember awaits you. We'll exceed all your expectations at Mountain Creek Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia and Ebookers so you can book your Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary Hotel Vernon
- Mountain Creek - The Appalachian And Black Creek Sanctuary