“Nice Getaway, But Not Sure I'd Visit Again” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Minerals Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Vernon
pennsauken
“Nice Getaway, But Not Sure I'd Visit Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2008

My husband and I used our timeshare exchange for 5/30 through 6/6. We arrived on 5/31 due to a last minute scheduling change but were excited about our trip. We made the trip from South Jersey in about 2.5 hours. Very nice ride and once we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised by the hotel lobby and the visible amenities (pool, Tiki Bar, Tykes and basketball court). The hotel grounds and lobby seem to be very well maintained, and then we were surprised to find the condition of the condo where we'd be staying.

The condos were on a 2nd story unit which I referred to as the tree house. My mother was supposed to travel with us and fortunately, she changed her mind because she would have had a very difficult time climbing the steps to the unit and that would have ended any enjoyment for her. We walked into the unit and was surprised to find a homey one bedroom unit with full kitchen facilities and an upstairs loft with two beds. Unfortunately, all of the beds were hard as a rock to sleep on, and believe me, each night we rotated beds to try to find some place that was comfortable. The finishes in the unit are very dated and worn. But, the unit does have a warm feeling. We enjoyed our room - especially the comfy sofas and the large tv but no dvd player so we could not watch our movies (except on our laptops which we didnt do). However, the fact that we had no internet was not good. The manual in the room was very outdated and stains (food stains). We stayed in Telemark 4 (unit 2). We noticed black ants and ended up killing quite a few but we figured it was better than having maintenance come out and spray pesticides while we were staying there. We checked out early due to having to go back to work, but I can say we thoroughly enjoyed the swimming pool, and steam room. My husband loved the basketball court. Other than that, there's not much else to do. We did enjoy sight seeing and went to the George Restaurant once for lunch and another day for Dinner. Very good food and service Kites was too expensive so we avoided it. The first night we went to a restaurant on 94 across from George and it was just ok.

One the way home from the resort, I realized that I left two beach towels in the dryer (condo units come with washer & dryer) so I called and spoke to Beth. She said that they would send it to me but needed a credit card and I told her that I would call her when I got home (since I was driving and hubby was nappy). I called her back and explained to Kim that I wanted to speak to Beth, and why. She very rudely asked me what was my name, after I had provided that to her and explained that I spoke to Beth an hour ago and needed to giver her my cc#), finally she said rudely Beth is standing right here. I said "wow, how rude" and then Beth picked up the telephone, as cheerful and courteous as when I spoke to her an hour ago. She was very helpful and at the end of our conversation, I asked her for Kim's last name so I could write a letter to the General Manager. She told me that her name was Kim Uckowsky and I will certainly let management know that the first point of contact people have is with people at the desk and answering the telephone. Fortunately for me, I had already checked out but had I experienced that rudeness prior to checking in, I would have gone elsewhere.

Overall, it was a nice experience but a bit boring. We drove 1 hour to Pennsylvania to do some shopping in the Poconos area and visit the slots casino and that was fun. Not sure I need to do a return visit to Minerals, but if you do, it would be best to map out things to do in advance or prepare for a quiet stay with not much excitement.

Stayed June 2008
2 Thank bbarksd107
MineralsResort, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2008
Dear Timeshare guests,

We apologize for your ending experience with the staff handling the phone call on your departure day. Unfortunately the name you provide in the e-mail given to you by Beth was for you to voice your unhappiness in letter format, she (Kim Uczkowski) was not the person you spoke to. Regardless, the employee that you did speak to by the name of Kim, will be addressed asap.
We value our guests from the beginning of their stay till they leave us and then after, because we want you to return.

Thank you again and we hope you do return,
Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2008

We checked into the Minerals Resort Condos with a timeshare exchange through Interval International this past Friday. First, there is not much to do in the area so the resort is basically all there is. The staff there is extremely friendly, the grounds are well maintained, and the health club & spa is phenomenal. The Kites Restaurant is ok but under renovation right now. The children in our party loved the pool. It was Memorial Day weekend so there were alot of people but it was not overcrowded. Bar and food service poolside was great and there were plenty of chairs and towels.

The resort needs a general brochure outlining all of the amenities since the staff does not seem to know. The book in the unit is outdated...it speaks of a game room that is no longer in existence. We asked the staff if there was any park or playground in the area and we received four different answers (we never found one), the interval international info said there was fishing onsite yet we called and spoke to a very ill informed woman who could not give us an answer. We also were looking for an outside restaurant and no one could give us any suggestions. I saaw people with tennis rackets but I still have no idea if there are courts onsite or nearby.

Now, for the condos. We were told that the condos were recently renovated and on the surface they are very nice. The two bedroom has two levels accessible by a spiral staircase. The condos are spacious and sleep 8 very comfortably. The lower level had a large master bathroom with bath and a recreation room. (there is only a small heating element in the lower level so i can imagine that it may be cold down there in the winter.) The upstairs has another smaller bedroom, living room, bath and kitchen. Two pullout couches and four televisions makes the living arrangements very comfortable, especially for a mixed group of children and adults. At a closer look, the housekeeping was faulty. There was no linen for either of the pullout couches, only 3 washcloths and an iron that was broken. We realized the linen problem at 8pm and after 3 phone calls to the desk, received the linen at 12:30!! The children were asleep by the time we were able to make the beds. Maintenance was better however. A very nice young man responded on Saturday because we realized that there was a bird trapped in the ceiling. He released the bird by taking out a lighting fixture and he also made sure the iron was replaced. He even gave us info on fishing in the area.

Each level has a deck which is very nice HOWEVER one of the major drawbacks (and the reason i would probably never visit again) is the fact that these condo units are mixed in with condos that are occupied by permanent residents. Our particular condo (we stayed in 4 Brandywine, Unit 3) was under a resident who made alot of noise throughout his apartment at all hours of the day and night . He also had a dog who frequently URINATED off the deck, hitting some of our personal items that was on the deck. (Thank goodness no one was on the deck!) As nice as the weather was, we could not use either deck. The first time the dog urinated, our cooler, some beach towels and the childrens toys were drenched with urine!! I couldn't believe it. The resort would be so much nicer if the resort condo units were separated from the permanent residents. As a result, we left a few days earlier than expected.

The resort was very conveniently located from our home in New York so I was very disappointed. If there were more amenities onsite and if the condo experience had been different, we would probably go back frequently because we liked the roominess of the unit, loved the pool area and the proximity to home.

• Liked — the pool area
  • Disliked — vacation condos are located where permanent residents live
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank LPWNewYork
MineralsResort, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2008
Dear Timeshare guest,

Thank you for all the wonderful compliments written here about your stay.

We will make sure that our Timeshare office reads it and addresses all your concerns/suggestions.

We do have indoor tennis, Racquetball and an indoor baseketball just across from where you checked in at the Front Desk of the Minerals Hotel. We apologize that in the time you were here you didn't get to enjoy it.

If you need any info on our property or have any specific requests should you give us another try, we hope you do, please contact us directly at our Timeshare office.

north jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2008

I just got back from one night at Minerals Hotel and I must say my experience was much better than I expected based on reading reviews on this website. I had been somewhat hesitant, since there were many negative reviews. I had gone for a golf outing with my sons, and we stayed overnight. The room was clean, the hotel staff friendly and helpful. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant, and found the food to be excellent. I asked my sons if they wished to return again and they said "definitely". That is enough for me. Next time, I'll bring my wife, so she can relax the spa while we're on one of the golf courses.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
MineralsResort, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2008
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind praise to our staff, services and amenities.
We look forward to your entire family coming back. Your wife will LOVE The Elements Spa!

Staten Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2008

My fiance and I just wanted a quick getaway. Full relaxation and comfort. We booked a Spa-and Stay package. We upgraded to a luxury room, which was really nice. The room had extra space. We also were located at the end of a wing (room 457). The deck was pleasant to sit outside and enjoy a bottle of wine. The room had a few upgrades like the bathroom and wetbar. However, the furniture was on the older side- in good/fair condition but not like the Marriott. The hallways were really nice- the staff was more then pleasant. The pools were great--especially the outside pool that was 96 degrees. We were dissappointed that the outside pool was closing at 10:30- when it was supposed to be open till 11PM. I know it was only a half hour but there were several people still in the pool and the life guards told us that her boss said to close the pool - since a cover needed to be applied to pool. I found the hottub to be very relaxing. One of the falling water pools had some tiles in ill repair which was annoying if you just wanted to sit on the side. However, nothing to stop you. The steam room was awesome. We did massages at the spa and they were fantastic-- and so was the foot soak. Front desk staff were great at check in they let us check in early. We had dinner at Kites--which was surprisingly great. I had filet mignon our waitress was Kassie--and she really strived for great service. Breakfast was ok the price was right. I found the manager of the restaurant prancing around during the breakfast speaking to her employees in a rather not so nice tone. She was obviously watching everything very closely. Overall Kites was a good choice especially since we didn't feel like driving any where. We did stop by Grand Cascades on the way home to check it out...it has a distinct tone of luxury and has some different things from Minerals. I think our next visit will be Grand Cascades - and a visit to minerals. Overall - Minerals was great and we left feeling so relaxed.

• Liked — The pool and spa
  • Disliked — the lack of restaurants on the premises
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sma96
Linwood, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2008

Family of four (ages- 42, 42, 6, & 6) went on three (3) day getaway. Three hour drive - pretty easy. We traveled the week after Mountain Creek ski area closed and prior to any golf courses opening (didn't plan it that way- just happened). Our room was not ready upon early arrival, but we received guest cards to use pool(s) while waiting. Largest pool (outside with jump-off cliff) not open. Main pool (inside) had older group in an exercise class using "noodles" - (fyi-only classes can use the noodles, not hotel guests who are just swimming- we do not have a problem with rules, any rules, however, a bad attitude "I do not make the rules I just enforce them" of the instructor as he took one out of my hand- lil' annoying). Another fyi- children under 12 not permitted to use the hot tubs (I know this is a health issue, too, depending on the temperature of the tub, etc- but we were unaware of this restriction prior to arrival and our children use our hottub on lower temperatures- so it required more explanations). Indoor pool had ALOT of chlorine-good for germs not so for lil' eyes. The one pool that you could enter inside and swim outside was nice and warm and did not have too much chlorine.
Our room was ready about an hour b/f check-in time. Nice size room with two fire places, king size bed, king pull-out couch in living room, dining table for four, wet bar with microwave and small fridge (taller, not cube), jacuzzi tub and separate glassed in shower, two televisions, desk area and balcony. Room was nice. Room service for breakfast very efficient. Housekeeping friendly and helpful. Gym and spa were well equipped, clean and friendly staffed. The one thing we noticed (as mentioned in other reviews) was the large number of people at the gym and pools who were "locals" working out rather than vacationers- just a different mindset.
There is a riding stable across the street, a baseball/softball field behind the hotel and plenty of areas to hike/walk around. All in all- we had a nice time b/c we were with each other. The four of us have traveled quite a bit- Utah, California, Mexico, Jamaica (x2), Florida(x3), South Carolina, Aruba. If we were in the area again, we might stay here, however if skiing and/or golf activities were not available again- probably would not.

• Liked — some staff attitudes
  • Disliked — other staff attitudes
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MineralsResort, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2008
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Minerals Resort & Spa.
We are happy that we were able to check you into your room prior to the standard check in time, we do our best to give our guests a little more resort time unlike other hotels that strictly abide by their established check in time. A few of our golf courses are open, and as soon as weather permits even more- to schedule tee times please call: (973) 827-5996.
We apologize for not allowing children under 12 in our hot tubs, it is posted on our rules board as a safety hazard.
Our pools go through all the standard chlorination treatments needed and required by the State of NJ. In the summer all the pools open up and there is a lot of fun to be had by all the families that visit us. Thank you for mentioning all of our nearby attractions, we also are close to Skylands which is a perfect kid fun place! Soon our biosphere and indoor water slide will be ready at our new 4 Star property Grand Cascades Lodge. Please visit our site for details/sign up to our E-mail exclusives to receive notice on all the promotions and planned activites for our guests to enjoy while they stay with us

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2008

We just returned from a weekend away at Minerals Hotel. We had a big destination wedding weekend at Crystal Springs Golf Resort over 2 1/2 years ago. All of our guests stayed at Minerals Hotel for mulitple nights. So, we love to go back to the area to bring back memories of our great weekend. But, every time we have high hopes for the experience and there are the same issues - nothing ever changes. Kites restaurant in the hotel itself is awful. We went there 3 years ago when planning our wedding, during our wedding, for our first anniversary and again this past weekend. The service is horrendous and each time we go back we hope things have changed. All the servers huddle in the back behind the wall and don't do a thing. For breakfast it is a buffet (kind of expensive for what you get) and all we needed were drinks. She took our order but never brought them! Then asks us how everything is - this has happened every time! For lunch, service is sooooo slow - this is the only sitdown restaurant within walking distance and is really bad. The other restaurants around the area are great. The Crystal Tavern is fabulous. The rooms are great - they have a kitchen area in the king size bed rooms and everything is very well decorated and very clean. The pool area is really nice. The big complaint are the crowds as the public is able to join so it is not just hotel guests. So, very very crowded at the gym and pool. The pool towels are very thin and very small. Also, it is hard to get towels at times. The spa is amazing. Front desk staff are not very helpful and it is hard to find help with luggage or even a cart . Overall we love to go to Crystal Springs and are excited about the new hotel in the area - Grand Cascade Lodge - we really hope that the service there is going to be much better!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Debby M
MineralsResort, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2008
Dear Guest,

Thank you for coming back to our resort to visit. We are particularly proud to have a high % of return guests , and we thank you dearly because you are one of them. We appreciate all reviews because it give us the tools we need to excell expectations and continue to build our services as a favorite vacation destination.

We look forward to your future visit to our sister property Grand Cascades Lodge.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2008

This was our 2nd visit to Minerals. It's a nice getaway spot, just 1 hour west of the George Washington Bridge.

The indoor pool is large and clean, with an appealing layout. It's much nicer than the typical indoor rectangular pit you find in most hotels. There are also 3 jacuzzis alongside the pool for variety.

The outdoor pool is great, even in the dead of winter. It's delightful swimming in warm water, as the with mist rises up in the cold air.

The hotel has great indoor tennis courts, as well as an extensive indoor sports complex. We played every day.

We stayed in the condos. The quality is pleasant/functional, but the maintenance can be spotty. We stayed in a 1-bedroom which had a 2-bed sleeping loft. The master bedroom was small; two adults would find the bed confining. Otherwise it was OK.

Overall, it's a nice place to stay for a long weekend or school holiday at a reasonable price, and you can't beat the convenience.

• Liked — Pool and tennis courts. Convenient to NYC.
  • Disliked — Room quality was so-so
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank gngal
Dear Guest,

Thank you for beautiful comments on our facility and for your return visit to our property. We truly appreciate your business. Perhaps next visit you will opt to stay at The Minerals Hotel or Grand Cascades Lodge.

Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Grand Cascades Lodge
#1 of 1 in Wantage
Sheraton Mahwah Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chester - Monroe - Goshen
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newton Sparta

Been to Minerals Hotel? Share your experiences!