“Ask and you shall receive. Give this place a try!”
Review of Minerals Hotel

Minerals Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Vernon
New Jersey
“Ask and you shall receive. Give this place a try!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were off to a rocky start but once I took a deep breath and put myself in calm vaca mode, it was all ok!

Please be advised I did not stay in the hotel. It was an exchange with Interval Int. I was given a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom condo in the Telemark section.

LOCATION: Telemark is too far to walk to resort so everytime we decided to use hotel amenities it required packing up for a few hours away from the condo. If you have issues with stairs or any type of mobility issue-DO NOT STAY IN A CONDO! The amount of stairs (58 to be exact) is painful. We had cases of water, 3 suitcases, 2 large coolers and 5 misc bags with food. THANK GOODNESS 2 of the maintenance guys saw us schlepping our bags and offered friendly assistance.

UNIT: Slept 6. Seemed as if was recently re-done as a quick fix...new doors, fresh paint, new cabinets, new 2nd bathroom upstairs. Sleeper sofa looked like a garage sale find. The carpet had a dingy look so not sure if that was just shampooed. Water pressure was eh. Tea kettle was chipping on inside: called and they quickly replaced. No spatula or flippers for pancakes or French toast, I called and those were quickly replaced. A bulb burned out, I called and that was quickly replaced. Pillows were flat pancakes so I called and they quickly came up with a few fluffy comfy replacements. Do you see the pattern? YES this place is not perfect but if you do not tell them they can not read your mind.
If you tell the desk your needs they are accommodating.

FOOD: I had a full blown kitchen so we did not eat there too much. We tried the Tiki Bar food. 5 Chicken Tenders and fries was approx. $12.00. Frozen drinks approx. $8.00. We tried Kites for appetizers. Calamari was excellent. Fondue was excellent. Clams/mussels were so so. Service is not great. Too many girls standing around. We felt as if it was a bother when we walked in.
The above apps took approx. 25 minutes to prepare. Not sure if I feel the need to ever eat there again.

POOLS: The outdoor lake looking pool connects to the cliff for diving and also connects to the cave. IT IS NOT HEATED AND IS FREEEEZING.
The outdoor pool that is connected to the building is heated to approx. 90 degrees, maybe warmer and is AHHHMAZING! The big indoor pool may be heated to 83ish and is comfortable. Then there is 2 hot tubs they vary from 98-104. Then there is a 3ft pool for young kids maybe 83ish. If you have little kids the dual hot tub connected to 3 ft pool is ingenious so parents can soak and keep a safe eye kids immediately next to them!
The sauna/steam room is very comfortable. These are located by the hot tubs and are included with your bracelet that you are given daily. A cold water plunge pool is available to close your pores after the sauna/steam room.

TOWELS: you do not need to bring from home. They are provided, however, they are not located in a convenient place. its actually awkward that you have to go in the work out room for them and they are tiny. Each adult needs a minimum of 2.

CHAIRS: Plentiful. Don't stress. People come and go all day long. You will eventually get a lounger where you are eyeing up :)

RACQUETBALL: $10 for one hour court time and $5.00 each racquet. Loved it!!!

SPA: Never used it :(

SUMMARY: We will be back. I will pack lighter to avoid the exhausting unloading of the car up the horrific stairs. The staff is helpful but needs to be told where they are lacking. If you are thinking of going, try it for a short quick get away. I do not think you will be disappointed. Please remember you are on vaca and things are not always like home. If you are nice to the staff they will be nice and helpful. Don't be abrupt or rude and they will be respectful back. I can tell they know there is a lot wrong with the resort and they dismiss everything with "What can you do?" It seems as if they have heard it all and are slowly trying to make themselves the 5 star that they deserve.

Thanks for a great week Minerals!

Room Tip: Condo on third floor of Telemark will give you the most amazing sunsets. The view is gorgeous!
4 Thank njtravelgirl03
Kim U, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear njtravelgirl03,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with the Trip Advisor Community.
I am beyond happy to share your review with all employees. We strive to excel in all areas and respond to our guests needs as quickly as possible. Thank you for sharing this with everyone.
We look forward to your return visit in the Timeshare condos or hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We are a family of five, with 3 young boys and they had a blast here. We went twice in the fall and the summer and both times were great. The indoor pools and spa facilities are really nice and well kept. The summer pool and lounge chairs with sprinklers for little ones was also really nice. Staff and room were nice. Rooms were spacious and clean. Close to NYC so great for a quick getaway. Would definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Meka S
Kim U, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Meka S,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with the Trip advisor community.
We are beyond thrilled that you found our facility and services to be everything you hoped for and more. We strive to excel in all areas, I will share your review with all employees.
Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I decided to ignore the poor reviews on Tripadvisor about this resort…WRONG choice!! I have NEVER typed a review before but I could not let another timeshare guest go through what our family went through recently. First, when we walked into the “condominium” at the Minerals Resorts, it was clear that housekeeping doesn’t take any time to clean the room. The beds were not made, sheets pulled up over the pillows, like a 6 year old made up the bed. The bathroom was dirty and the rooms were dusty. You could literally see the dust stacked on top of each other in various areas within the condo. The vertical blinds to the balcony were falling apart as well as the windows within the condo were chipped and falling apart. The chandelier in the loft was broken and hanging off the hinges. The ceiling fan downstairs didn’t work. The carpets were dirty. There was a huge water stain on the kitchen ceiling. I stopped at the front desk and spoke with a clerk who stated that there is nothing he can do. He said everyone complains about the condominiums. He stated that “Minerals” is not a part of the condominiums and the only thing that “Minerals Resort” does is hand the guest their room keys to the condos. Well, I was disappointed in hearing this. I went back to the room and a family member was taking a shower upstairs. This particular shower location is over the kitchen. While I was in the kitchen, I started hearing a dripping sound and then I look up and the drip turned into a waterfall!! The stain on the kitchen ceiling came from a leak from the upstairs bathroom. The water was flowing from the kitchen ceiling onto the floor! This incident happened about 11 PM at night and when I called the front desk, the clerk stated that there was nothing they could do and advised me to call back in the morning. In the morning, when I informed the front desk what took place, they said they couldn’t switch our room. They sent over maintenance who determined that we should be switched out of our room because they couldn’t pull apart the kitchen ceiling while we are staying there. When maintenance expressed their findings/ recommendations to the front desk, “Minerals” still didn’t switch our room so we had to stay in a dreadful space while we vacationed. They continued to state that there was nothing they could do. The female clerk at the front desk was rude and showed her lack of concern for the matter and advised me to call Interval International. The front desk at Minerals Resort is very disconnected from the issues within the timeshare condos and they made that clear. When I addressed my concerns with member services at the Minerals Resort, it was as if they are used to the complaints. They did not switch my room. The bottom line is, the timeshare condominiums are old, dusty, filthy and falling apart. Also, to get from your condo to the Minerals Resorts pools and other activities on the grounds, you have to drive. If you want to spend your time share week disgruntled, disgusted and disappointed, then book your timeshare week with The Minerals Resort and Spa in Vernon, NJ.

4 Thank S L
Dear SL,

Thank you for sharing your review with the Trip Advisor Community.
We apologize on behalf of the timeshare management. Unfortunately this time of year the condos are booked solid and it is almost impossible to move a guest since everyone is occupying the units during the same time. However we always send housekeeping or maintenance up to the unit if there is a complaint we need to address. I will share your review with the timeshare manager. Feel free to reach out to the resort to speak with her as well.
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We were here for a wedding and for that, I rate the resort highly. We had a barbecue for the rehearsal dinner which was at the Pavilion - very comfortable and private; very good food - homemade potato salad, green salad, freshly made hamburgers w/ all the fixings, BBQ chicken, italian sausage and peppers, corn on the cob, beans, baked ziti, homemade chips; all very tasty, served Starbucks coffee both reg & decaf. The wedding reception was very good w/ a great cocktail hour, plenty of tasty items to choose from and great open bar; very nice sit-down dinner - filet mignon was delicious and perfectly cooked. We had a private breakfast buffet Sunday and everything was good there too w/ plenty of good Starbucks coffee. Doing the wedding at the resort made it easy for everyone attending the wedding which made for a very relaxing and enjoyable wedding weekend. As a large group (over 120 staying at the resort), we were treated wonderfully and I give very high marks to the wedding coordinator. I know that the bridal couple were very happy w/ the support by the hotel staff for their wedding reception, etc.

So why the average rating? My experience w/ the front desk staff was not great. First of all, the front desk put my brother's family in my room - no big deal, except when checking out and they still have their reservation attached to the room that I was staying and thought that I would be staying an extra night. The front desk clerk, Norman, switch the name on the reservation at that point but not the credit card information and charged my bill to my brother's credit card. He also failed to credit me $20 per night for a non-functioning balcony and said that it was $20 off for the entire stay.
When I mentioned that I had the email that stated it would be $20 per night, he corrected himself and said that I was correct and that he would go ahead and credit me the $20. I asked for another bill showing the correction but he said that it wasn't necessary, the credit was done (which it was not). t realized that the charge went to my brother's credit card since I didn't get an alert message from my credit card company for the charges and went back to the front desk to get this corrected. A different clerk re-charged the same incorrect amount and said that I would get the $23 credit back separately. It has now been six days and I still don't have the credit. In fact, there was a $200 plus charge and then credit back on my credit card AFTER I left the resort. I also called Mineral Springs Resort after a few days, they said it would be taken care of immediately, that day; two days later still no credit.

The first luxury room they offered was on the pool level which is one level down from the lobby and when you look out the windows and patio area, there are people hanging around, not very private, you would have to keep the curtains closed and the room felt like a dungeon then. I requested a move to an upper floor and on the top floor we had a great view of the mountains and no one looking into the room. I am thankful that they could move me; I would be even more negative if I had to stay in the original room.

The sleep sofa was difficult to open and we could not close it so we lost a place to seat comfortably during the AM until maintenance came to fix it - even after that, we could open it but not put it back.

And I would agree w/ others that this is not a romantic place. There is a club on the second floor above the lobby which is hopping w/ young locals on the prowl - The resort is geared for large groups and families - there are tons of children, playing basketball and at the pool. To get to the rooms, you have to go through the pool area which is damp & humid, not very comfortable traipsing through in your wedding finery.

Not my cup of tea, I will not return.

Room Tip: Avoid the pool level if you want privacy.
1 Thank Sue M
Dear Sue M,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with the Trip Advisor Community.
We are thrilled to have celebrated your family' wedding at our resort.

We apologize for the mix up, reservations are under the same name, different room types we rely on the guests to let us know who is booked for which room type. An honest mistake that was cleared up rather quickly. Unfortunately the agent had to request the cards because since they are encrypted another swipe had to happen, luckily all was resolved since you were both paying the same rate. As requested it was an even swap. Thank you for your patience.

We look forward to celebrating many more weddings.
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My husband booked two nights for a surprise for my birthday. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly and attentive. The second night the kids joined us and thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful pools. I would recommend this resort for couples and families alike!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Ktsell3
Dear Ktsell3,

Happy Birthday!

Thank you for sharing your review with the Trip Advisor Community and for staying with us recently.
We are beyond happy to learn that you had a wonderful birthday experience. We hope to celebrate many more with you and your family.
New york
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Not a happy camper. Very noisy and the building is very out dated. Staff is very unattentive and seemed Unaffected by my issues. The restaurant was very slow and the front desk staff was rude and condescending . You could hear them talk/ make fun of your problems as soon as you step away from the desk. I will most definitely not be returning.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brianna W
Kim U, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Brianna W,

Thank you for your recent stay and for sharing it with the Trip advisor community.
We are very surprised by what you mention in your review, but will share with all staff.
If you wish to speak with the Front Desk Manager regarding your stay please feel free to contact the hotel. We look forward to your call. Thank you.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed at the Minerals Resort & Spa for a wedding in mid-July. The wedding itself was gorgeous, and was held at the Ballyowen Golf Club just down the road from the hotel.

The hotel rooms were good, nothing special and definitely in need of an update, but we were very comfortable. We had lunch at the grill by the pool when we arrived, which was very tasty.

We hung out by the pool a bit, and then decided to check out the sauna and steam rooms. There was a girl, maybe about 12 or 13 who kept opening and closing the door to the steam room, afraid to go in. I think her parents may have been inside, but it was a bit frustrating because every time she felt the steam, she would scream and run out. The sauna was empty when we first got in, but then two teenage girls entered and began taking selfies and yelling about the hot rocks on the racks in the room. One girl grabbed one and burned herself, causing commotion. We left. I'm sure the rooms are relaxing otherwise, but the unsupervised kids became a bit annoying. I also saw a couple of parents bring VERY young children (2-3 years old) into the steam room while we were in the hot tub- is that safe/wise??

Anyway, aside from that, we had a great time. Our room was on the pool level and we had a pretty view overlooking the rolling hills and a horse farm nearby. We didn't use the A/C in our room, as it was cool enough to just have the window open. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. I doubt we'll be back since we are very rarely in that area, but I'd definitely recommend it to families!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa P
Kim U, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Melissa P,

Thank you for sharing your stay with the Trip Advisor Community. We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay. We will share the review with all staff and use for further training.
We look forward to your return to our resort,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Grand Cascades Lodge
#1 of 1 in Wantage
Sheraton Mahwah Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newton Sparta
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chester - Monroe - Goshen

Been to Minerals Hotel? Share your experiences!