“A nice experience”
Review of Minerals Hotel

Minerals Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Vernon
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Understand that there are cousin three hotels which belong to the same crystal springs family. Each has its own flavor and rates. The most expensive is the Grand cascades which is the fanciest and has full kitchens with stoves. The minerals is very family and activity oriented. The crowd is also noisier but the indoor pool is the largest and most inviting. The Apalachian is very quiet and less expensive but does have full kitchens. The biosphere pool at the Grand cascades is beautiful and heated and has a slide. It is however only available to Grand cascade guests. Grand cascade guests however are entitled to use the pools and spas at the other hotels. Of the outside pools, the Apalachian is the most private least busy and best temperature. The outside pool at the GC is cold. The outside pool at the Minerals is almost too warm. The diving pool at the Minerals is VERY cold. Overall, if you have kids and don't need a stove, Minerals offered the most except for the slide of the biosphere. Otherwise there was tennis, racquetball , spa classes galore and activities all day. We had a nice time.

Room Tip: I believe a room away from the pool is exponentially quieter. Our room was very clean. I believe so...
1  Thank 128Michael
Kim U, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear 128Michael;

Thank you for sharing your nice experience with the Trip Advisor Community.

You have given an excellent overview of the Crystal Springs Resort overall and your experience with each areas pools and activites. Each resort property is very unique and we are proud to offer such a variety of options at each location. A nice experience creates memories when staying at The Crystal Springs Resort. Each guest has different expectations and your room tip will be helpful for those looking for a quiet room location.

999 - 1,005 of 1,486 reviews

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My wife and I recently visited Minerals Spa and Resort for a two-night, midweek stay in August and were extremely disappointed. We arrived early-afternoon, checked in and went to our room to drop off our bags and change for the pool. When we got to our room, we noticed that the wine and cheese add-on package that we paid $50 extra for was nowhere to be found. I called the front desk to inquire as to where our wine and cheese was and the woman who answered seemed genuinely confused and disinterested in finding an answer for me. Sadly, this would be a recurring theme with almost all of the staff we interacted with during our stay.

The woman at the front desk told me she would look into how the wine and cheese package worked and asked me what time we'd like it delivered (6:30). So we headed off to the pool. When we got to the outdoor pool, we were confused because it was a beautiful, sunny afternoon but all of the patio chairs were stacked in piles so tightly around the patio that you couldn't sit on the patio near the pool (see picture, taken at day's end). So we headed off to the tiki bar…which was, of course, closed.

When we asked the young man at the towel stand if/when the tiki bar would be open he said he didn't know and didn't offer to try and find out for us, even though there was a telephone sitting on the stand right next to him. Hungry and thirsty we headed inside to the front desk, hoping someone there could answer our question. At the desk we were told the tiki bar was closed because it had rained that morning (keep in mind that it was now 3pm and the sun was blazing outside). Exasperated, I asked if they could check with whoever was responsible for the tiki bar to get a definite answer. The clerk made a phone call, hung up and told us we'd have to wait for an answer - which I'm assuming the kid at the towel stand could just as easily have done. 10 minutes later the phone rang and the desk clerk told us the tiki bar would not be open that day.

Next we went upstairs to the restaurant bar to get drinks to bring out to the pool. My wife asked for a frozen margarita and was told that they didn't have a blender. I'll let that sink in for anyone reading who works/has worked in the service industry. For everyone else, trust me, that is completely INSANE! We took our drinks out to the pool, wrestled two chairs off a pile a cleared a spot to sit in on the pool patio.

About an hour later, clouds and thunder rolled in and the pool was closed. We headed inside to the indoor pool, by which time it had started raining. The whole point of an indoor pool is that you can swim inside when you can't swim outside, right? Nope! That pool was also closed. The ceiling, which is comprised entirely of skylights, was leaking severely and pouring down on us. So we headed back to the restaurant bar to wait out the storm.

It came as no surprise that the skylights in the restaurant ceiling were also leaking terribly. Again, no one on the staff seemed concerned. Apparently, this was commonplace. While we were there, we made an 8pm reservation for dinner and then went back to our room to check out the wine and cheese situation. The $50 wine and cheese package consisted of a cheap ($12 tops) bottle of Merlot and an anemic cheese plate with a small bunch of grapes and one strawberry.

We arrived at the restaurant at 8pm sharp only to be told that we'd have to wait a while for our table because they were so busy (see Seinfeld "Reservation/Car Rental" episode). Suffice to say that they didn't understand the concept of a reservation.

If your still reading, I try to summarize the rest of the disappointments:

- The restaurant service was awful. I was brought the wrong order and the $29 "Mediterranean Chicken" I was finally served looked and tasted like it was boiled. We had to ask repeatedly for drink refills. In short, they were going for a Manhattan vibe at Manhattan prices and missing the mark completely (but at least the rain had stopped leaking throughout the skylights!).

- The rooms were spare, somewhat rundown, and nothing like the "Luxury" room pictured on the website. Mind you, we paid a rate of $250 (not including the "$50" wine and cheese) and there was no refrigerator (pretty common these days), there were ants in the bathroom and the toilet lid came off every time I opened it. I've traveled enough for business/pleasure and stayed in enough chain hotels that were much nicer and better managed than this.

Thankfully, the next day was beautiful. Determined to salvage what was left of our stay, I headed out to Walmart in the morning and picked up a cooler and beverages (who knew if the tiki bar would be open or if anyone could tell us either way?). We had a great day by the pool and the lifeguards were the only staff who were actually helpful and could answer any questions.

We found a great restaurant in town for dinner: http://smokeystavern.com, paid half of what we paid the night before and had a fun night. When we checked out the next day and were asked if we enjoyed our stay, we lied and answered "yes" but didn't elaborate. We were handed a card with the Tripadvisor web address. I wonder if we would have been handed that same card if we told them what we really thought?

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Michael D
Kim U, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear MichaelD,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with the Trip Advisor Community.

We apologize that you feel that you were inconvenienced, we strive to deliver exceptional service. Amenities are always delivered after check in the reason why we don't deliver prior to arrival is because we want to keep it fresh plus guests tend to arrive at all times and move rooms.

Unfortunately it is the NJ State Law that all pools and areas nearby are closed when lightning is visible or thunder is heard. Based upon the weather forecast we must carefully assess if re- opening will occur as it is imperative to maintain our safety for all guests on premises. All employees are aware of the policy, procedure and protocol.

Restaurant reservations are highly suggested at all of our restaurants. We apparently had a very busy day and accommodated you to the best of our ability in seating you shortly after 8pm. Your dining experience will be discussed with our Food and Beverage Director and staff.

All comments on Trip Advisor are beneficial to our property so that we can analyze our strengths and weaknesses.
We thank you for your response and will discuss in full with our staff.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed for long weekend in July. Kids had a blast, great pools, we played basketball, racquetball, kids dance classes, parents worked out in gym, hiked on property. The Adventure package to the mountain top was great fun, kids loved the bumpy bus ride, beautiful lake and beach, fishing, canoeing, archery lessons... Our rooms were very nice, clean and fairly new, must be in a 'new section'...the staff was friendly and accommodating especially the young girl organizing all the kids activities.... Kids also had face painting, karaoke and a reptile show by the pool!
Outside bar and grill served good fresh food and drinks. We ordered pizza from town one night. The on sight Kites restaurant a bit overpriced, but good weekend buffet breakfast....and it is the only place for am coffee... They really need a coffee/breakfast kiosk in lobby!!!!!!
Overall great stay!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cfpt
Kim U, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear cfpt,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with the Trip Advisor Community.

I am delighted to read that your stay with us. We take great pride in our work, and it is always welcoming to hear kind words from our guests.
We being in the hospitality business thrive on kind words such as yours. We do our very best to make every guest feel welcome and will always go the extra mile. Our staff will be glad to hear that their hard work and dedication has not gone unnoticed.
Thank you!
Hopefully your travels will bring you back to us again.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I did not stay at the hotel, so cannot comment on that. We stayed at the "sister" property nearby, but booked services at the Elements Spa here at Minerals Resort. I was with 4 other ladies for a girls weekend to celebrate one of their birthdays. We chose this spa because they offered 1 hour services and the other one only seemed to offer 2 hour ones. You have to walk downstairs through the hotel fitness center (?) to access the spa, and FYI there is no cell service down there! The birthday girl did the booking of the various massages based on our requests. I remember her saying how the booking process was not a simple one and took several phone calls, even though I believe she was trying to book online. What I do know for sure is that all 5 of us could not get our massages at the same time, and it was not a last minute booking. There also was no steam shower, which was a bit disappointing. There were some snacks and water available while we waited behind the funky metal bead curtain, waiting to be called. The massage services themselves were amazingly wonderful!! Three of us had "dry" massages and two of us had "wet" treatments and we were all extremely happy with the pampering!! I also cannot comment on the value, as our birthday girl friend treated us. Believe me- we tried everything not to let this happen, but she booked it with the hotel reservation on her CC. That was a bit frustrating, but I understand for privacy & ID theft reasons, why the hotel couldn't let us change it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Alyssa C,

Thank you for sharing your review with the Trip Advisor Community.
The Elements Spa is ranked in the top 30 spas in America and #1 in New Jersey!

I am happy to learn that everyone enjoyed their services, the spa staff will be happy to read your review. For those in the Trip Advisor community that are not familiar with The Elements Spa- description below: This NJ luxury spa at Minerals Resort is a very special Shangri la, where the healing powers of the earth have been incorporated into breathtaking design and rejuvenating services.
The interior of Elements Spa brings the beauty of the outdoors in, with hand-painted earthscape walls sparkling with bits of mica, textured stone surfaces, illuminated rice paper artwork, hammered copper fixtures, natural fabrics and truly unique rainwalls, dripping with thousands of silver beads.
Beneficial minerals are featured in many Elements’ services-- including a unique moisturizer infused with copper flakes, sodium scrubs, mineral water soaks, minerals muds and mineral-based cosmetics.
Massage therapies provide just what your body and psyche need most… relaxation, restoration, or an instant energy boost. For the ultimate New Jersey spa vacation, enjoy our signature treatment for two, the Elemental Journey. Set in a private, four-room suite, this is a rebirth where the wonders of nature blend to remove stress and toxins -- replacing them with earth’s mineral-infused muds and emollients. Elements Spa also offers hand and nail services, body waxing and cosmetic enhancements.
We always recommend booking very early to accommodate large groups.

Thank you again and we hope to celebrate more happy occasions!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The only good thing about this place is the pools and the proximity to the water park/ski area. The condo was dirty, wallpapers and furniture stained with who knows what! TV reception is mostly static and the remotes don't work. The mattresses sag and the sheets are so worn they keep slipping off the mattress. Thank god we were only there for a weekend and spent most of our time at the pool or attractions.

Room Tip: Get a room elsewhere.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Chaya4
Kim U, Manager at Minerals Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Saeko R,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with the Trip Advisor Community.
I apologize for the experience you encountered. Please reach out to the Hotel Front office manager to address your concerns.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

As soon as the desk clerk learned I was a time share his attitude went from friendly to condescending, as if by not paying $200 plus a night he was wasting his time with me. I arrived at 4:20 pm and was told I had to wait until 5pm the condo check in time, he failed to call me at 5 to say my condo was ready, another clerk gave me the keys at 5:15 when I went back on line, handed me two keys with a paper tag and a map copied so much the street names were hard to read.
20 minutes later I found the condo, the room was hot so there was no need for me to wait till 5, only for him to be superior.
The condo was clean, stocked with the minimum cheap ware usually found in an average time share. The a/c never went above 80 but we were in the mountains and had good cross ventilation with the windows open. Everything worked and the beds were comfortable.
As far as the time share unit I have no complaints, it was better than some we have been to, only one TV in a loft 2 bed room. SECURITY to me was an issue only on lock on the door and flimsy locks on the windows.
We are able to use the hotel facilities; you get a card that entitles you to a daily wristband. The pools are fantastic; they go from cold to heat outside. There are plenty of lifeguards along with plenty of rules, no tubes or noodles even for babies, definitely cuts enjoyment of lounging in the pool. No baby carriages or playpens in pool area. The bathroom is such a far walk so is getting paper thin rough towels, the deck lounges are plastic and most need a tightening, I had to ask for a regular chair, none around and no tables with umbrellas either.
I have no recommendations, BE WARY there are STEPS everywhere the place is built into mountains.

Room Tip: request the least amount of stairs if you are a time share
3  Thank laser4992

Dear laser4992,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with the Trip Advisor Community.
I apologize that you felt that as a guest you were different, this is not true. We value our timeshare members and do everything we can to provide the services and facilities for their enjoyments. We have thousands of members that return to our facility all year round. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, it will be shared with the team. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We felt this resort was over priced for this run down hotel. Staff at the front desk needed training. Only manager could check us in and answer any of our questions.Kites restaurant was very accommodating with our large party but again we felt entrees were over priced too.

Kids had a ball at the cliff pool, arcade, basketball, racquet ball and tennis courts .

The rooms are in desperate need of sound installation. Furniture needs upgrading.

Place needs to offer tea and coffee during the day at the tiki bar. You not have to go to Kites for this.

If your looking for special weekend, this is not the place.

2  Thank Jeanette L

Dear JeanetteL,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with the Trip Advisor Community.
We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay. Rates vary according to season, summer time is our high season. I will share your review with the areas you mention for training purposes and we hope you do come back and visit with us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Grand Cascades Lodge
High Point Country Inn
High Point Country Inn
#1 of 1 in Wantage
Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary

Been to Minerals Hotel? Share your experiences!