“Dated and dirty”

Somerset Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Warren
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Great location, decent price.

Unfortunately there was some surface mold on the bathroom ceiling, plaster on the floors in the hallway, and bathroom vanity was completely rotted out.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank bglav
There are newer reviews for Somerset Hills Hotel

Reviewed 16 August 2011

This hotel is in dire need of an update. The rooms have couches that even my grandmother wouldn't have put plastic on - why bother, they are already old and unattractive. The rest of the furniture was pressed wood with veneer covering. The shower was a little odd - it was a step-up tub with a wierd showerhead. Really it was quite odd - that's all I can say about the bathroom. The curtains in my room didn't want to close, so I had to use a chair to keep them closed. The hotel has a prevailing musty smell that will not go away.

The Tap Room had a decent beer selection and the food was 'OK' although the waitress was difficult to understand - seriously, this is northern NJ, not NYC, I wasn't expecting to need to speak another language. They did give me a free breakfast which was good. There is a Hotel Indigo and a Courtyard Marriott right down the street that I will likely stay at next time I am in town. The hotel didn't seem packed at all, which could be why the price was so high. The staff was and when my key wouldn't work, the dosk clerk remembered me several hours later and what room I was in (could have to do with not a lot of guests).

If I had a choice for a similar price, I would stay at one of the other hotels nearby.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Ledsak
Reviewed 10 August 2011

The following points summarize why I didn't like my experience with the hotel.

1. Horrible Pasta in "The Tap Room", the restaurant in the hotel; I didn't know pasta could be messed up this bad. Edible food otherwise, nothing extraordinary here.

2. Front desk staff in the morning is very rude - I told them I was running a few minutes late(5-10 minutes) for their van service - could I change the scheduled time? They snapped at me, and behaved as though it was completely irrational to ask.

Anytime I scheduled a request for the van service to another place except for getting to work, they snapped (I wanted to go to the bank and asked the front desk attendant if that was ok. He confirmed, and then the driver told me condescendingly, "This is not a personal service dear" On their website, they say free shuttle to local destinations - That is rubbish... anytime you try to schedule a service with them, they seem angry and annoyed, as though you are making an unreasonable request.).

I don't have a US drivers' license, so, this or a cab were my only two choices to get to work. I was really surprised by their approach. Usually, hotels treat guests very nicely.

3. I came home one night to find a dead bug in my sheets, blood and everything. Try to complain about something to them, just try. They will look at you disbelievingly and tell you that you're wrong.

As you can tell, I am a little angry and disappointed. I was on a business trip, had a lot of work pressure. I could have done without the stress of having to deal with a terrible hotel. Their sheets are old and coarse - It was really difficult to sleep. Best if you avoid, but if this is the only place your company puts you up at in Warren, take assurance in the fact that at least it looks pretty on the outside. Apparently, they renovated recently. Oh, and don't forget to confirm with the front desk that your hotel key works. (Mine didn't at first. I'm sure this happens to them a lot.)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank perficio c
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I typically check reviews on this site before we travel, but this time we just made reservations at the hotel suggested on our wedding invitation. A number of family groups stayed here while in town for the big event.

Check-in was slow, and the desk clerk was distant and seemed annoyed by our arrival. The common areas and rooms, as others have mentioned, were dated and in need of cosmetic repairs.
•Ceiling tiles in the halls were water stained and sagging,
•some rooms had poorly patched holes in the walls -spackle over wallpaper
•stained furniture
• misrepresented furniture-hotel staff repeatedly told our traveling companions that
the love seat in their room pulled open to a bed, but it didn’t.

The first night our room was near the restaurant patio so we were kept awake by noisy patrons and a live band that played until 1am. The desk staff did give us another room on the front side of the hotel away from the patio for the second night which was much quieter. Another traveler in our party discovered that the clean towels in their bathroom were soaked, and on closer investigation, noted water dripping from the ceiling, and down the wall directly above their toilet. When they called down, staff was sent to their room with new towels, but no offer was made to move their room, though it would seem the water was leaking from the toilet in the room above-GROSS! When extra blankets were requested, staff came quickly to bring some, but when unfolded it was discovered they had instead delivered mattress pads. Had we traveled alone, or needed to stay longer than 2 nights we would have made arrangements for another hotel. Fortunately we didn't have any signs of bedbugs as others have reported-still taking precautions to make sure we didn't bring any home. On a positive note,the pool area was clean, and the complimentary breakfasts buffet had adequate choices.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank NHnativesNH
Reviewed 26 July 2011

My daughter had her wedding several weeks ago at the Somerset Hills Hotel. I must admit because we never attended a wedding at the venue we were apprehensive. We chose the venue because my daughter and her husband wanted a hotel setting where they could have the wedding (outside area was charming) and reception without having to transport the guests. The wedding was great! Everything from the food to the service was more than we could ask for. Steve our maitre'd and Gina the catering manager met all our needs and could not be more accomodating. I would recommend this venue to anyone who asked. Our guests all said that they had a great time at the wedding. I know our family did and couldn't be happier with the entire day. We read other reviews of the hotel and were a little concerned but we had no problems with any of the rooms. All were clean and we have stayed in beautiful hotels in the past. We were highly satisfied with the entire experience. Thank you

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Check in was fine, the room was dated, bedding was fine but clearly the room and hall ways were tired, neglected and in need of some help with peeling wallpaper, chipped wood work - - but the shower head must have been replaced with inexpensive plastic type and the massage parts in the middle do not work only because housekeeping is too lazy to clean these heads properly and unclog them. Black mold in the showers are very unappealing and raise questions on skill set of the housekeeping department OR the lack of funds. The breakfast area was unattended but it is not a buffet so this was not enjoyable way to start the day and when finally served, it was eggs that were very runny and barely cooked bacon (I know I should not be eating this) and watered down coffee.

Room Tip: Stay at the Marriott Courtyard nearby OR Indigo
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank snowdogflyer
Reviewed 15 June 2011

The staff are generally friendly and helpful, and the bar is good with an excellent range of draught and bottled beers. Otherwise the hotel is poor. The rooms are a good size, but poorly maintained - tatty furniture, peeling wallpaper and basin unit damaged by water soaking into the frame. The aircon is noisy, and the controls did not work properly. Breakfast choice limited, the same everyday and not best quality. No hot water one morning. Room service was erratic, and cleaning barely adequate. The swimming pool has 6" green water and rubbish at the bottom. Unless you want a decent beer avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MyReview186361
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warren
Courtyard Basking Ridge
#2 of 4 in Basking Ridge
HYATT house Bridgewater
HYATT house Bridgewater
#2 of 6 in Bridgewater

Been to Somerset Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!