“Baby Shower”

Somerset Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Warren
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I attended a baby shower at the Somerset Hills Hotel on Jan 7, 2012. It was a wonderful experience. The hotel reception area and other publc rooms were beautifully decorated, clean and inviting. Christmas decorations were still up and they were gorgeous. The shower was held in one of the banquet rooms and the food and service were excellent. My husband had lunch in the bar area and said the food was delicious. During the shower, he watched football on the large flat screen TVs. I can't comment on the rooms, but for parties and events, this hotel is excellent.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank paa9
There are newer reviews for Somerset Hills Hotel

Reviewed 3 December 2011

The lobby was beautifully decorated with trees and pheasant feathers. From there it went downhill...FAST! We had booked a King room as my husband is quite tall. that's what the invoice stated.Upon going into the room it not only didn't have the beautiful king-size four poster bed pictured on the website, it had 2 DOUBLE beds. Really, double beds! Are those even manufactured anymore? Back to the lobby..."no king rooms are available" Why make a request? This was about 3 in the afternoon. We were meeting family so we left. At 11 when we returned the parking lot had about 30 cars (for a 111 room hotel). We asked about a king room again mentioning that the place certainly wasn't heavily booked. the response was, That's what you get when you book on Expedia (which we didn't!)
As we went to the elevator with our luggage a hotel employee got on in front us and wouldn't even hold the door--my husband thrust his leg in to keep the door from closing.
The beds had some sort of pad on them that was folded in half and not as wide as the mattress which left lumpy ridges. The heating system had no temperature control, a high/low setting only and blew out cool air all night. the bathroom floor was filthy--I won't go into it! The cabinet under the sink had a rotted moldy floor and the outside of it was water-soaked causing the baseboard to be unattached. The floor had many broken tiles that were smeared with caulk as a repair. The TV was a 19 " model that looked like it came from a college dorm room of the 80's.
Two employees were at the desk when we left and neither bothered to say anything to us.

Room Tip: Boy, do we wish we had photos to share! Here's a tip to help you choose a good room--GO SOMEWHER...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kathi m
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I stayed for business and appreciated the free internet access, and the location; plenty of restaurants and other conveniences nearby. My room was clean, as was the hotel, and quiet. I really enjoyed the Tap Room. Beer selection was great, music on Wednesday was fun, and the food in the dining room was very good (I had Mediterranean Chicken). I was surprised at the other reviews - I am hoping for another opportunity to stay here again, this time with my husband.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Deborah B
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I was unsure about this place as I read so many bad reviews. It was anyway recommended by the customer we were visiting so I stayed there for 1 night. It is for me clearly a wedding, conference place and not a business hotel but my stay was pleasant anyway. Good & large room. Very quiet at night. Breakfast is far from all these big hotel chains but it was good.
Opposite the hotel, you have couple of places to eat : 3 West, Ciao and a Starbucks.
3 West was pretty good and very busy. Internet in the room. 30 min from Newark airport. about 1h from JFK airport (without traffic)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Anne-Christine
Andrewhotelier, Regional Director of Operations at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Good day to you Anne-Christine. First and utmost thank you for allowing us the opportunity of hosting you and yours during your recent visit to Warren, NJ. We recognize that there are so many venues for guests to select from and we are honored that your choice was the Somerset Hills Hotel. On behalf of the Management and staff of the Somerset Hills thank you for your business and for taking the time to comment on your stay. In this new age of e-commerce the "written word" can be quite deceiving and can ruin ones reputation with little or no defense. We thank you for your honesty and compliments and hope that should your traavle plans bring you back to the Warren, NJ area that we will once again have the priviledge of accomodating you and yours! Have a great day, Regards, Andy

Reviewed 21 October 2011

If you'd like a filthy room, unhelpful desk service and a band from the "tap room" keeping you up all night this is the place to stay.

I waited four hours before my room was ready and then I wondered what exactly they were doing to make it ready? The mold in the air conditioning unit and bathroom was scary. A 4-H experiment in the works by the desk staff maybe, because they certainly weren't at the desk helping anyone. Glad I brought flip flops because who knows what I could have brought home with me from the filthy bathroom.

Or maybe the staff was dancing in the tap room until 2:00 a.m. because that's when the band finally turned off the amps.

Terrific place to stay if you don't want to sleep and you're an expert on mold.

Room Tip: Rooms at another hotel would be the best choice of rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank 243Guest243
Reviewed 17 October 2011

The hotel was noisy, too many weddings and parties going on, band playing late in the night. Worn out and old, not so well maintained rooms, dirty drapes, upholstroy/cushions out of shape. Breakfast is nice, limted options options, service with no smile!

Room Tip: Go highest floor available, and away from the center, else the band will keep you awake
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Rajeev_Shroff
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We recently spent three nights at the hotel. Our room was clean, quiet, and nicely appointed. That's the good news. I stopped at the bar for a beer after check-in and waited for at least 5 minutes before a staff member could break away from chatting with "regulars" to take my order. That evening we tried the Tap Room restaurant. It was noisy and the food wasn't even mediocre--it was appalling. If you must eat there, stay with a burger or club sandwich and nothing more. We passed on the expensive breakfast and each morning we went to the Soup Shoppe in the shopping mall opposite the hotel. Good coffee, excellent simple breakfast, and nice staff. We're using the Courtyard Marriott on the next trip.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank John H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warren
Courtyard Basking Ridge
#2 of 4 in Basking Ridge
HYATT house Bridgewater
HYATT house Bridgewater
#2 of 6 in Bridgewater

Been to Somerset Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!