“My Daughters Wedding”

Somerset Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Warren
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My daughter booked her rooms for her wedding 2 years ago. During that time, the sales managers changed 3 times. However, everything that was discussed in her original contract remained the same. If anything, it even got better. I think for us, the biggest perk was the shuttle buses. We were already scheduled to have them on Friday to take us to our venue, But my daughter asked if they could be added the night before for our rehearsal dinner and they added it on. The day of the wedding, my daughter had hired an outside limo company to take her, the bridesmaids and the parents to the park for her preview and wedding pictures before the ceremony. However, the limo arrived from NYC and didn't have air conditioning. It was 95 degrees out, and way too hot for us to be in a limo blowing hot air. When we asked Silas, the person in charge of the hotel shuttle buses, what he could do for us, he stepped right up. He rearranged their schedule and got everyone to the park for pictures. Not only did they do that, but they also picked us up exactly one hour later with a cooler full of water (as it was extremely hot) and got us to the venue on time. Then they went back and brought all of our guests (30+ rooms booked) to the venue as well. When the wedding was over, they came back and shuttled everyone back to the hotel. When we left the venue, we had to bring about 6 large tote boxes back and had no room for the flowers. When they heard that we were going to leave the flowers, one of the shuttle drivers went back, without even being asked, and retrieved all of the flowers. Kudos to Silas and Rodney. You saved the wedding day, and it will never be forgotten.

As far as the rest of our stay, everything went well. Front desk was very accommodating. They got everyone to their rooms with their gift bags. Bar was open until 1:30am after we got back from the wedding. All our guests were extremely happy with the breakfast buffet the next morning. Waiters were very accommodating and made sure that the guests were happy.

When we booked our rooms 2 years ago, the hotel had plans for renovations that were suppose to be done before the wedding. Unfortunately, that didn't go as planned. But it did not matter to any of the guests. They thought that it added a sense of charm and a family feel to the event. Other than 1 air conditioning issue, (of which maintenance and the front desk made good on) everything went beautifully.

I thank Erica, Andy, Silas, Rodney, and the rest of the staff, for helping to make my daughters wedding dreams come true.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Joanne1013

Reviewed 23 July 2012

The room was fine, but the bathroom was dated. The bathroom cabinet was moldy and could use some refurbishing. The hotel was close to the reception hall where the wedding was held and served its purpose. We could not check in any earlier to our room before the wedding ceremony even though a call was made to request the room was to be ready for early check in. The bar also closed before 2 am. For one night the hotel served its purpose.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Avoid this hotel at all costs. I never EVER write reviews, but this is absolutely necessary. We had about 30 rooms booked here for our wedding. After signing a contract promising to have the bar open until 2 am on Sunday 5/27/12, we arrived that night to a CLOSED bar. You can imagine the embarrassment and what I as a bride had to deal with that night. This place is highly unorganized. We arrived after the wedding, and the entire lobby was filled with my guests waiting for the bar that was promised and contracted to be open until 2 am. These are guests from out of state, out of country, etc etc. who we informed ahead of time about the afterparty at the lovely hotel bar so we could spend more time with on this holiday weekend. At the end of my wedding, I was at the hotel desk speaking to the desk attendant who had absolutely no answers for me, except that he "left a message for the manager". On top of not having a bar that night, there was a musky smell and a few complants from my guests of broken air conditioning in the rooms. The worst experience of my life. The next morning I get a call from Erica telling me that she apologizes and "the bartender went home sick". UNREAL. Avoid this at all costs. This is a legitimate review. If you want email me christinem313@gmail.com I'd be happy to provide you with any extra advice. Brides--avoid this place at all costs.. ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. Erica, Brianna, and any other managers will promise you things they cannot provide. Do not fall for it. I am still disgusted how we were treated that day. They are lucky we don't sue them for breach of contract.

Room Tip: anywhere but here.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank christinep313
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Booked 2 rooms through reservations.com with one king bed the other 2 doubles. Got there and only one room was reserved even though I called half hour before our arrival to confirm. We did get two adjoining rooms with 2 doubles.. The a/c in one wasn't cold and the other wouldn't shut off. Tv channel choices were horrible (especially for a 7 yr.old). Marriott next time when we are in town visiting relatives will be our choice.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank liguy631
Reviewed 19 May 2012

It looks pretty from the outside...
I had used this hotel for my out of town guests that traveled to attend my wedding.
Erica also promised me the bridal suite with living room area (they have 3 of them) the night before so we sleep over and get ready the morning of the wedding. Hair and makeup for 12 girls ended up in a double room efficiency which was hardly bigger then a room with 2 double beds.
People that requested early check in were not given rooms til about an hour before regular check in time.. The person who arranged all my plans was off the night of my wedding --- and of course I have not heard a word from her including an apology for the entire mess. The room we were in was next door to the bride who got married there that night...When I booked this hotel there were no wedding taking place and she said they had 3 suites so it would not be a problem. We were put in a room and hoping to get good night sleep but only to be woken up at 2am by the wedding after party going on next door.....No good sleep for us --
They do have a restaurant and bar but the restaurant is only for breakfast buffet and the bar hours are limited.. We couldn't order any lunch... they were closed ..nor could we cater anything for the bridesmaids... We had to travel outside the hotel to be accommodated .... Honestly if I had to do it again I would choose the Marriott up the road... Forget this place...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank J S
Andrewhotelier, Regional Director of Operations at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Good Afternoon J S,

While we never enjoy reading of a guests' dissatisfaction regarding their stay, I feel it necessary to respond, to firstly apologize to you for your experience at our hotel during an important time of your life. It is always our goal as hoteliers to have each and every guest leave this property with a wonderful experience. I did have the opportunity to research your group and found that we were, in fact, sold out the night before your wedding and unfortunately you were not offered a bridal suite, but an efficiency suite to get ready for your wedding. Additionally, we were not informed of twelve girls needing to get ready in one room. If we were aware, we would have graciously offered you a banquet room with ample space as a courtesy to you.

The accommodation reserved for you the night prior to your wedding was next to a bridal suite, so that your transition into your suite the next day would be minimal. As we were sold out the night before your wedding and your room was next to a bridal suite, I apologize if the guests next door were not as quiet as they should have been. Any disturbances reported to the front desk are investigated immediately to ensure our guests have the most restful night possible.

Regarding catering for the bridal party; we were not aware of your intent to provide this and when this is the case, typically our brides pre-arrange for any catering to be brought while getting ready. Again, if this was something that interested you, we would be more than happy to assist as our other brides do take advantage of our hospitality menu.

On behalf of the Somerset Hills Hotel, please accept our sincerest apology.

Andrew Pampanin
Regional Director of Operations

Reviewed 17 May 2012 via mobile

While the hotel is a bit dated it shows littl wear. The wifi was decent. The gym poor and very hot. The hotel's Restaraunt is stellar. Room was spacious.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank akrsouth
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My daughter reserved a block of rooms for her wedding (which was NOT at the hotel). She reserved the Bridal Suite and adjoining room so that the girls (about 12 of us with the hairdresser) could get ready in the room. I (the mother of the bride) and my other daughter (the matron of honor) each checked with Erica (the reservationist) to make sure that the rooms were correct. She assured us that they were. We asked for early check in and I told her I would pay extra for that. She said that wasn't necessary and that my room would be ready about 1:30.
My daughters checked in the night before and only got the adjoining room (2 double beds - honestly who uses double beds!) The bridal suite was given to an in-house bride who didn't have to check out until 12:00. So 12 of us were stuck in a small room until 2:00 because housekeeping didn't clean it until 1:15. The housecleaning lady was so unfriendly and kept talking on her cell phone and eating grapes.
My room (the early check in) was finally ready about 2:00. Well I guess that's early because regular check in is at 3:00.
Had I known what this place was like, I would have paid extra to stay at the Marriott down the road.
The buffet breakfast= cold eggs, cold bacon and sausage, cold potatoes, watery oatmeal, stale bread (toast it then it's not so bad). The waiter was very accommodating.
This place makes promises that they can't keep. Thank goodness we didn't have the wedding there.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank NancyS290
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warren
Hotel Indigo Basking Ridge
Bernards Inn
Bernards Inn
#1 of 1 in Bernardsville
Hampton Inn & Suites Bridgewater

Been to Somerset Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!