“Unacceptable”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Warren
Wayne, Pennsylvania
“Unacceptable”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

My 78 y.o. mother was booked into this hotel for one evening as we were in town for a wedding. When she arrived at the front desk there was a long line of people (2 weddings in town) and several that appeared unhappy with the check-in process. She was given her keys and went to her room only to find her room was already occupied. She went back down to the front desk with her luggage and was told at that time they didn't have a room for her but would get one and call us when one was arranged and that she needed to leave her credit card and ID with them so they could confirm her check-in and she could pick them up upon return from the reception. While at the reception they called to say they didn't have a room after all and would be booking her a room at their sister hotel (Hotel Indigo) and would send her luggage over (but no mention of her ID and CC). After the reception we returned to the Indigo to check her into her room. We were told by the Indigo front desk staff that her credit card and ID was at the front desk of the Somerset Hills hotel and we said to keep them there and put it aside since we had to go to brunch there in the morning. We checked out of the Indigo (my mom's room and ours) and went to the Somerset Hills hotel for brunch and to pick up the ID and CC. However, after endless searching they were unable to locate the ID/CC. We were informed that the person that was on duty last night was coming in at 3 and that we could ask him about it. However, we live 2 hours away and were leaving within that hour. I stated that we needed the ID/CC to be found and was met with an undesirable attitude. After many calls by the front desk staff they called over to the Indigo where lo and behold the ID/CC were transferred overnight without informing us. Thus, we had to go back to the Indigo to pick them up at the front desk where we had just checked out. Thankfully it was a short drive. What disappoints me most is that there was never an offer to make it up to us in some way (e.g. discount our room for our trouble, free breakfast, something....). I realize it can get crazy with that many people. However, I expect there to be a room when a reservation has been made, and if there's not, I expect something to be done about it. The whole experience was unacceptable.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hrljw
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
On behalf of myself and the staff of The Somerset Hills Hotel I wish to take this opportunity to apologize for your unpleasant experience. There are no excuses for not immediately returning ones personal information nor for the manner in which your reservation and check-in was handled. We have taken appropriate and immediate steps to be certain this never occurs again. We appreciate your bringing this to our attention and for allowing us the opportunity to address this with all our staff. Our Guest Service Manager has adjusted all charges for your stay and although this does not change your experience or "right the wrong" we hope it does reflect our sincerest of concerns. If your travel plans bring you back to the Warren area please ask for me (Andrew Pampanin) as I would like to handle your arrangements personally. Once again please accept our sincerest of apologies.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 September 2012

1st) I had to wait for a friend, staff was very accommodating in regards to having a hotel employee take me to where I needed to go.

2nd) I forgot my iphone on said transport from A to B. The staff helped me recover it! (Big Brucie and Jennifer). If you stay here and need anything ask for them.

3rd) the staff is ver polite and accommodating!

Room Tip: Didn't use spa so I gave it an average score.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anthony C
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2012
Thank you for your recent stay with us! We truly appreciate your business and hope that we can continue to be your hotel of choice whenever you are in the Warren NJ area. Your generous commentary for "Big Brucie, Jennifer, friendly and polite staff are welcomed by us all! The front desk team wants everyone to feel at home as soon as they enter our doors. We try to think of our guests as not leaving work or home and going to a hotel, but more like leaving work or home, to come “home.” Hope to see you again real soon!
Basking ridge
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I live very close to the hotel and frequent the Taproom. The staff is amazing. Rachel Eva Carley and Flora are always more than accommodating and are part of the reason I'm a patron.

PLEASE get new tvs. The one new one is great but simply not enough! I can never convince anyone to come to taproom when a game is on because of it. A successful bar does not have a bad seat in terms of viewing and unfortunately this bar has too many bad seats.
Please make the change!

Brian

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank brianfZ8825IB
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
You are very important to us. Our goal is to make the Somerset Hills Hotel your “home away from home” and we thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and for allowing us the opportunity to serve you and hope to see you again if you return to the Warren area.
Tulsa
Reviewed 20 September 2012

The food was plentiful and very good. The location great. With minor problems everything went off without a hitch. Would go there again. The people were really wonderful from top on down. Easy to work with.

Room Tip: if there is a party going on stay away from rooms over party room.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pat A
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Good evening and thank you for staying with us! We truly appreciate your business and I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay! Here at The Somerset Hills Hotel in Warren, NJ, it is our goal to make every guest comfortable and feel right at home. There should only be two difficult things that our guests face: What time is happy hour and what time to get out of our comfortable beds in the morning. It warms my heart to see that we were able to make your stay so special. Thank you again for staying with us and writing this review.
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Upon my arrival, I was welcomed by pleasant staff who pointed out that my comfort was the first priority and if I had any questions/concerns, I should feel free to call or come by the front desk. Additionally, I recall a young gentleman by the name of Bruce who gracefully assisted me in obtaining a balcony room. The hotel's cleanliness was exceptionally noteworthy. Overall, I was very pleased with my stay at Somerset Hills.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank mmatos1975
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your review! We realize there are many options and when privileged to be the hotel of choice we are so grateful. We believe Bruce to be quite a hotelier as well but there is nothing more special than to hear it from our guests! We try to think of our guests as not leaving work or home and going to a hotel, but more like leaving work or home, to come “home”! Thank you again for staying with us at The Somerset Hills and we hope to see you soon!
United States
Reviewed 5 September 2012

My wife and I spent an evening at this hotel before we attended a wedding. We were guests at the hotel under a package deal from the wedding party. Overall, it was a very pleasant stay, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a pleasant place to stay for a night or two.

The hotel has one restaurant/bar called the Tap Room, which had a fairly wide selection of craft beers on tap, and a satisfactory selection of the more popular domestic and import brands. We had dinner at the bar, and the food quality was a step above a typical business class hotel. The price was reasonable for a hotel restaurant meal. While the food was not something I would seek out to return to enjoy, it was quite nice for a 'captive' restaurant/bar.

Our room was a nice size that was roomy even if with the king sized bed. It looked to be of a relatively recent update. The room was supplied with a 32" flat panel tv with access to all the expected tv channels. The bathroom was a nice size with standup shower. We had a balcony that was nice although the view of the parking lot was nothing special.

We used the hotel pool. My wife and I were the only using the pool in the late evening. The pool was not very large, but it was clean. Towels were plentiful. It was more than enough to take the edge off a hot humid day.

The location was nice right off of interstate 78, and we stopped by a nearby strip mall for a few forgotten items.

All in all, it was a nicer than normal business class "plus" hotel. The stay was efficient. The check in was efficient. The morning brunch buffet was small but fresh and quite delicious.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nigel_StW
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Thank you for your recent stay with us! We truly appreciate your business and hope that we can continue to be your hotel of choice whenever you are in the Warren NJ area. The front desk team wants everyone to feel at home as soon as they enter our doors. We try to think of our guests as not leaving work or home and going to a hotel, but more like leaving work or home, to come “home”.
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Somerset Hills and Erica were extremely organized and well put together for housing my guests. The shuttle and rooms worked out extremely well for Weddings in the area. Erica was great with communication throughout the wedding process and letting me know how many rooms were booked for my wedding. The rooms and location were very nice and the breakfast buffet worked out wonderfully for wedding guests. I would recommend using as a Hotel for your wedding!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jlb614
Andrewhotelier, Vice President at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Somerset Hills hotel during your recent visit. We very much appreciate your feedback. We pride ourselves in always trying to exceed our guests’ expectations. We thank you again for allowing us the opportunity to serve you and hope to see you again if you return to the Warren area!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warren
Courtyard Basking Ridge
#1 of 6 in Bridgewater
HYATT house Branchburg
HYATT house Branchburg
#1 of 5 in Branchburg

Been to Somerset Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!