“Wonderful expierence”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Warren
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
“Wonderful expierence”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel with my wife, family and friends for my wedding. The experience we has was absolutely wonderful. The staff that assisted us in arranging the room block, to the shuttles and for the rehearsal dinner were very helpful and on point. I had no complaints about anything and the food was absolutely delicious. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly and willing to assist in any way they can. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody looking to stay in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ben T
Tony M, Manager at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you so much for selecting the Somerset Hills Hotel for this special occasion. We are so happy to hear you were pleased with our services and products. We thank you for taking the time out of your day to share these comments and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again. Thank you again for selecting Somerset Hills Hotel and we wish you all the best!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Paramus, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed at The Somerset Hills with a large party after a lovely wedding at a nearby venue. We were shocked by the rude and inappropriate reactions of the staff to various problems members of our party experienced. (rooms with no working phones, no air conditioning, asking people to pay for morning coffee when breakfast was included in our rate plan and many other disturbing incidents) In each case, various members of the staff were indifferent and even, at times, confrontational. And believe me, there was no strawberries and champagne for the newlyweds. Making your concerns known to the manager or other staff is apparently futile. No response or remediation and a distinct lack of interest...They just don't care.
The staff needs immediate training in appropriate service, tact and diplomacy, and a smile once in a while might go a long way. Avoid this hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank QueenSandi
Fall Greetings Warren New Jersey! Thank you so much for selecting the Somerset Hills Hotel. My sincere apologies for us not meeting or exceeding your expectations while you stayed with us. We are undergoing several changes and training is on the top of my list. I have addressed the team with your comments and we will make this an even higher priority to service our guests moving forward. Thank you for the opportunity and we hope to have a second chance to make a better first impression.

Travellers are raving about these Warren hotels

Phillipsburg, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed at the Somerset Hills Hotel and it was one of the worst experiences I ever had at a hotel in this price range. My visit was $200 for one night after taxes and fees, and I had to change rooms 3 times within the first hour of being there! In the first room they gave me, half the lights didn't work, the heat or air conditioning didn't work, and the toilet did not flush. I called the front desk to report the issue and they brought me a key for a 2nd room, apologized for the inconvenience, and left. No one offered to help me carry my bags to the next room.

When I got to the 2nd room, the door did not open and I had to lug all of my luggage back downstairs to the front desk to update them. They did not apologize for the fact that my key didn't work and handed me a new set of keys to go upstairs and try. That set didn't work either. I was about the head back down to the lobby when the receptionist came up on the elevator with the master key. His key didn't work either and he proceeded to try to open up the door for 10 minutes while we are standing outside the door. Finally, after he held the door at a certain angle, the key worked. He was very kind and tried to show me how I could angle the door to get it to open, but I had to inform him, that I would not be staying in that room because I need a door opens all the time, not one that opens after 10 minutes of trying the key. He agreed to this and went downstairs to get me a key to a new room.

The 3rd room had a door that opened, a working toilet, and lights so it was the best one I had been offered since I arrived. You could hear noise in the hallway and a loud screeching sound if anyone in an adjoining room decided to take a shower, but it was a better situation than the first two rooms and I was exhausted at this point. Unfortunately, things did not get better. When I went to go to sleep, I looked at the sheets on the bed and there was dried BLOOD stains on them! They had obviously washed sheets with blood on them and thought it was okay to put them on the bed. It was absolutely disgusting and I cannot imagine how any hotel with any sense of pride in their establishment would think this was appropriate.

In addition, the heater in the room was ancient and made loud clanking noises all night and I couldn't sleep at all. I absolutely would not recommend anyone stay at this hotel. For the same price, you can stay at the Marriott across the street.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Tarika M
Tony M, Manager at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Fall Greetings From The Somerset Hills Hotel! I would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to have you as our guest. I personally apologize for all the experiences you had while you were with us. It is always in our best interest to assure our customers are completely happy and comfortable while with us and it is apparent that we fell short on your visit on several issues. I have put a full training program in place for all departments, which includes higher service levels and better quality control throughout. Unfortunately I cannot bring this day back but I can assure you that moving forward, these issues will be few and far between. I would certainly love the opportunity to have a second chance to share a much greater experience than the one you had. The Somerset Hills Hotel will shortly experience a great amount of positive changes and I hope I can have the benefit of sharing this with you in the future. Thank you again for taking time to share these issues with us and I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences.
Basking Ridge, NJ
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Kevin, the manager of the Somerset Hills hotel Tap Room, makes sure that the beer selection is ALWAYS the BEST in New Jersey. From Brooklyn to Stone to Dogfish to Bear Republic to Founders, Kevin makes sure that the beer rotation pleases everyone. You will NEVER be disappointed with the beer selection Kevin and the Tap Room offers.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Orangeman96
Cheers! Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding the Tap Room and of course Kevin our Bar Manager. Kevin has dedicated his heart and soul into making 100% certain we offer the finest most unique craft beer on the face of the earth. We are so happy you enjoyed yourself and we hope to have you and your group back again soon. Thank you again for appreciating us!
Hillsdale, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I stayed at the Somerset Hills Hotel for my wedding weekend; our wedding venue was nearby so we booked the hotel for ourselves (bride and groom) and our guests. The Sales and Catering Manager we worked with, Erica Terracciano, was just wonderful! She provided me with great rates for myself and guests that included breakfast. She was super organized and maintained my guest count proactively and worked with me every step of the way to ensure shuttle service was flawless to and from my wedding. She sent me beautiful hotel directions for me to use for my wedding invitations that were very elegant. Everything ran completely flawlessly, from the planning stages to the big day. Upon returning to our suite after the wedding we found complimentary chocolate strawberries and champagne from the staff. It just perfect and made us feel so special and welcome. The rooms were beautiful and our guests were able to enjoy the fun tap room after the wedding, that had lots of drink selections and live entertainment. We even took a dip in the pool! Breakfast the next day was so delicious and hit the spot. If you are thinking of booking this hotel, especially for a block reservation of guests, definitely give Somerset Hills your business, it's well worth it!

Room Tip: the suites are outstanding, with King size beds and comfy beds!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura1010932
Tony M, Manager at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Warm Greetings from The Somerset Hills Hotel! Thank you so much for taking your personal time to share your positive experiences with the world. I am so happy we did everything necessary to make this special day flawless and memorable. I am so proud of my team and all their proactive efforts in making certain each and every guests is happily comfortable. Erica puts her heart into making sure her guests have it easy knowing that they have a million other things to think about. We hope to have you as a guest in the Tap Room for dinner or a glass of wine. Thanks again for trusting us with this very important date and thank you for your kind words.
Westwood, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Because of our recommendation, Seventeen couples (17) booked rooms here for the evening of 9/14/2013. My daughter was married at the Stone House in Warren that afternoon. The Stone House wedding was FABULOUS! However, we were very disappointed with several unprofessional staff members, in addition to broken down air conditioners and non-working room phones. I contacted the general manager, Tony Morealle, before writing my review because I thought he might offer some sort of "good will" gesture to several of the guests who were affected by these conditions..

The check in was very difficult for the guests.. The staff was extremely slow and confused and were unable to handle a group situation. At least 45 minutes was spent locating room reservations, etc. While this was going on, another staff member removed drinks from the hands of our guests without a civil request. Air conditioning did not work in 3 of the rooms...one of which was the bridal suite. The phones were down in these rooms also.

When guests moved from un-air conditioned rooms to new rooms, they found that those air conditioners didn't work either! Major inconvenience for everyone carrying luggage back and forth. One of our guests, who had been moved 2 times, asked why this was happening and was told by the front desk "That's just the way it is!" No apology, remedy or empathy involved here.

While unforseen things can happen in hotels (just as they do in our own homes) the way these situations were handled by the staff is what I am complaining about. One of the biggest disappointments for my husband and I is that we recommended this hotel. Aside from listening to my comments, Tony M. did nothing to make any of us want to return or to give the Somerset Hills Hotel a good review on Trip Advisor, to the Stone House, or anywhere else. I guess all I can say to this is: "It's just the way it is!"

Room Tip: Ask the staff to physically check the air conditioning and telephones before you checin.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank katetb
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to host your overnight accommodations here at the Somerset Hills Hotel. I personally apologize for some of our short comings with regards to the lack of services and products we may have shared with your group. I joined the Somerset Hills Hotel 4 months ago and we have made some great progress in some areas. I am very excited about all the new things we are striving for in the months ahead. Our air condition unit did fail us the weekend of your event and has since been fixed. We have very positive plans to come and we hope to regain your trust in the future. I have also recently rolled out some very intense training to make 100% certain we are going above and beyond for each and every guest that walks through our doors. We also have a very positive partnership with the Stone House and we will continue making certain their guests are comfortable as our new changes unfold. I really appreciated our conversation and your feedback was not taken lightly by any means. I also hope that I met your expectations with regards to our recovery process. Once again, thank you for doing business with us and I am really sorry for not meeting some of your needs as you stated. I hope you enjoy the rest of the year!
South Jersey
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I must compliment on a restaurant in the Somerset Hills Hotel, called the TAP ROOM. The beer selection is way beyond what I have ever expected and the food was exceptional. We had the pleasure of meeting Kevin, who by far was the nicest most professional that we could have ever asked for. I would highly recommend the TAP ROOM and can't wait to come back. Thank you

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Hello from all of us here at The Somerset Hills Hotel! Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of the Tap Room. Kevin makes it a point to go out of his way to make certain the beverage experience is at the highest level. He has worked hard over the years building this synergy that certainly has set us apart from a typical food and beverage establishment. We greatly appreciate your opinion and we hope to have you back soon. Thank you again for supporting our genuine efforts.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warren
Courtyard Basking Ridge
Hampton Inn & Suites Bridgewater
Bernards Inn
Bernards Inn
#1 of 1 in Bernardsville

Been to Somerset Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!