“So-meh-set Hills”

Somerset Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Warren
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Sounds like that this hotel is a wedding party destination in this particular neck of NJ woods. And that's the reason we were there. Self-described as "lavish" and "luxury" the place is anything but. The problems start with reservations - once a wedding party reservation has been made, the individual ones are made by phone. Hence no confirmation emails (just a #) and lots of opportunity for errors - one gentleman in our party was somehow put in for an extra day, when clearly the festivities were limited to just one overnight stay. The parking lot is rather large, no one had a problem finding a spot, and the shuttle was operating as promised. Rooms are spacious but dated, décor, amenities, and utilities. Temperature control was working poorly, +/- 5 F changes didn't seem to register. The sink in the bathroom was not draining properly, neither did the bathtub, which is nothing compared to the troubles of a fellow wedding guest, who had a flooded toilet. WiFi and TV were operational, as were vending and ice machines. Elevators, however, do not have sensors in the doors, as one now somewhat flattened member of our party discovered for herself. Live entertainment at the Tap Room doesn't stay at the Tap Room and we could hear it on the 4th floor till ~1 am. No one was at the desk between 7 and 8 am to help a couple from our party with a pair of one-year-olds to find the luggage carts, and when they did manage to summon a member of the staff they were told that the carts were somewhere on the property but the staff had no idea where exactly. When I checked in I was told that the hotel ran out of the breakfast cards, so I had to call for them in the morning. I shouldn't have bothered at all as the breakfast was awful. Undercooked potatoes and strangely bitter scrambled eggs. I don't feel that strangely and anything FDA associates with Salmonella enterica every now and then are worth a risk, so I got on with a bagel and orange juice. The kitchen staff was very generous with coffee and orange juice refills, so there is that. And the place is rather cheap. Not sure I got exactly what I paid for, definitely not what it is advertised as.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank gordonsmc
Tony M, Manager at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Fall Greetings from Somerset, NJ! Thank you for trusting us regarding your block of rooms here at The Somerset Hills Hotel. Unfortunately it looks like we fell short on several items and I completely apologize for this. I have been here a short period of time and I am taking every item you addressed very serious. It is my entire goal to resolve these issues one by one and we do have great plans to make this hotel a grand scale facility in the near future. I do apologize that this was how we had to be experienced as it is out intention to make sure our guests are comfortable and satisfied while staying with us. Please contact me so I can have a second chance at making a better impression as this was totally unacceptable and will be shared with the entire management to be properly address. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

This hotel describes its accommodation as "deluxe" which it is anything but! Cracked tiles, peeling wallpaper, rusting fixtures and shabby bedding is a better description. The Indigo across the road is a far better option in this part of New Jersey.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank samndan2000

Greetings! My name is Tony Morreale and I have recently taken on the position as General Manager for The Somerset Hills Hotel. First I would like to sincerely apologize for the short falls you have experienced while you were with us. I am happy to share that we have great plans for the future in addressing all the issues you have outlined. Unfortunately it does not make the day you were here better but it will place us in a much more favorable light regarding these issues. I would love the opportunity to make a better first impression and I do apologize you had these challenges while with us. Thank you for sharing your comments.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I can't tell if this place is falling into disrepair or if it's getting fixed up. The checkin area is nice but the staff seemed a bit indifferent. Dinner was good with a nice selection of beer on tap and live music. The exterior of the hotel is nice but the rooms are a bit worn. The room was clean but but my lamps & one of the outlets didn't work. The windows opened but the screen was torn. Overall, it was acceptable.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Tony M, Manager at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Greetings! Thank you for trusting in the Somerset Hills Hotel for your recent visit. We are creating some great changes with our products and services so that we can be the best in the area once again. We have already made some positive changes and we will continue to move successfully forward so our guests have a great experiences. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and I apologize for any short comings you may have experienced while you were with us. Please join us again in the future so we can ultimately exceed your expectations. Have a great day!

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Like many of the other reviewers I stayed at this hotel as part of a large wedding party. We got a great block rate that included breakfast and a shuttle to the venue. Our room was facing the woods behind the hotel and we had some great fall colors to look at but the room itself was pretty well worn. This hotel is beginning to show its age. The wallpaper is sliding from the wall and years of smoking in the room are rubbed into the carpets and walls. It was spacious and well appointed but it could all use a makeover. We, personally, didn't have any trouble redeeming our breakfast vouchers but other members of our party found themselves paying for a breakfast that should have been included in their room rate. All in all, I can see how this hotel was once quite grand and luxurious but it is a dated property now that could use some renovations. No complaints with the staff though and the beds are very comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank asiae2013

We would like to thank you for selecting The Somerset Hills Hotel for your special event. We are pleased to share some great changes moving forward and this will include making 100% certain that we are up to date on services and products. We have made a lot of progress and we have more to come. My sincere apologies for not exceeding your total expectations while you were with us. Thank you for taking time to share your opinion and we look forward to having you visit us again soon.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel with my wife, family and friends for my wedding. The experience we has was absolutely wonderful. The staff that assisted us in arranging the room block, to the shuttles and for the rehearsal dinner were very helpful and on point. I had no complaints about anything and the food was absolutely delicious. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly and willing to assist in any way they can. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody looking to stay in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ben T

Thank you so much for selecting the Somerset Hills Hotel for this special occasion. We are so happy to hear you were pleased with our services and products. We thank you for taking the time out of your day to share these comments and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again. Thank you again for selecting Somerset Hills Hotel and we wish you all the best!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed at The Somerset Hills with a large party after a lovely wedding at a nearby venue. We were shocked by the rude and inappropriate reactions of the staff to various problems members of our party experienced. (rooms with no working phones, no air conditioning, asking people to pay for morning coffee when breakfast was included in our rate plan and many other disturbing incidents) In each case, various members of the staff were indifferent and even, at times, confrontational. And believe me, there was no strawberries and champagne for the newlyweds. Making your concerns known to the manager or other staff is apparently futile. No response or remediation and a distinct lack of interest...They just don't care.
The staff needs immediate training in appropriate service, tact and diplomacy, and a smile once in a while might go a long way. Avoid this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank QueenSandi

Fall Greetings Warren New Jersey! Thank you so much for selecting the Somerset Hills Hotel. My sincere apologies for us not meeting or exceeding your expectations while you stayed with us. We are undergoing several changes and training is on the top of my list. I have addressed the team with your comments and we will make this an even higher priority to service our guests moving forward. Thank you for the opportunity and we hope to have a second chance to make a better first impression.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed at the Somerset Hills Hotel and it was one of the worst experiences I ever had at a hotel in this price range. My visit was $200 for one night after taxes and fees, and I had to change rooms 3 times within the first hour of being there! In the first room they gave me, half the lights didn't work, the heat or air conditioning didn't work, and the toilet did not flush. I called the front desk to report the issue and they brought me a key for a 2nd room, apologized for the inconvenience, and left. No one offered to help me carry my bags to the next room.

When I got to the 2nd room, the door did not open and I had to lug all of my luggage back downstairs to the front desk to update them. They did not apologize for the fact that my key didn't work and handed me a new set of keys to go upstairs and try. That set didn't work either. I was about the head back down to the lobby when the receptionist came up on the elevator with the master key. His key didn't work either and he proceeded to try to open up the door for 10 minutes while we are standing outside the door. Finally, after he held the door at a certain angle, the key worked. He was very kind and tried to show me how I could angle the door to get it to open, but I had to inform him, that I would not be staying in that room because I need a door opens all the time, not one that opens after 10 minutes of trying the key. He agreed to this and went downstairs to get me a key to a new room.

The 3rd room had a door that opened, a working toilet, and lights so it was the best one I had been offered since I arrived. You could hear noise in the hallway and a loud screeching sound if anyone in an adjoining room decided to take a shower, but it was a better situation than the first two rooms and I was exhausted at this point. Unfortunately, things did not get better. When I went to go to sleep, I looked at the sheets on the bed and there was dried BLOOD stains on them! They had obviously washed sheets with blood on them and thought it was okay to put them on the bed. It was absolutely disgusting and I cannot imagine how any hotel with any sense of pride in their establishment would think this was appropriate.

In addition, the heater in the room was ancient and made loud clanking noises all night and I couldn't sleep at all. I absolutely would not recommend anyone stay at this hotel. For the same price, you can stay at the Marriott across the street.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Tarika M
Tony M, Manager at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Fall Greetings From The Somerset Hills Hotel! I would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to have you as our guest. I personally apologize for all the experiences you had while you were with us. It is always in our best interest to assure our customers are completely happy and comfortable while with us and it is apparent that we fell short on your visit on several issues. I have put a full training program in place for all departments, which includes higher service levels and better quality control throughout. Unfortunately I cannot bring this day back but I can assure you that moving forward, these issues will be few and far between. I would certainly love the opportunity to have a second chance to share a much greater experience than the one you had. The Somerset Hills Hotel will shortly experience a great amount of positive changes and I hope I can have the benefit of sharing this with you in the future. Thank you again for taking time to share these issues with us and I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Warren
Courtyard Basking Ridge
#2 of 4 in Basking Ridge
HYATT house Bridgewater
HYATT house Bridgewater
#2 of 6 in Bridgewater

Been to Somerset Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!