“Gtreat customer service, clean room”

Somerset Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Warren
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I always think you can tell a lot about a hotel by the initial contact with the clerk at check-in. In this case, the Somerset Inn is lucky to have a professional like Kathy working the desk.Kathy did a great job explaining the hotel amenities and the area to me at check-in. I also saw a few rooms had balconies and she was able to move me to a room with a balcony while maintaining her smile the entire time.

The room itself as clean, spacious and bed were comfortable. Nothing special to say about the room but no negatives either. Only issue was it seemed that they set it so the AC could not be turned below 70 so it as a little warm.

The gym is small but functional for a one or two night stay.

The restaurant was nice with some hits on the menu but some misses too. Service was great in the afternoon and at night; the breakfast service was among the worst ever as the servers basically stood around rather than coming over to take my order and when they brought the food they just dropped the plates without a word.

Was there for a week and really enjoyed the hotel, except for the breakfast which after the first day I just went to restaurants in the area instead.

Also, when checking out the was an error on the bill but I was relieved when I went to the desk and saw that the pleasant clerk from check-in (Kathy) was there and she fixed the issue quickly and professionally.

Will stay there again when I'm back in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Tony M, Manager at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Greetings Texas! Thank you for selecting The Somerset Hills Hotel for your recent visit. Being far from home, we are so happy that your experienced our genuine service and comfort that sets us apart in our area. I also agree that Kathy really cares about her guests and of course her staff and this is a complete reflection of these positive efforts. We also have great plans to make the Fitness Center a much better experience along with the entire hotel.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

I make sure to visit the Tap Room located in the hotel every time I'm in the area. Great selection of beers, great wings, and great staff. Carli is the best.
I havent stayed at the hotel itself, as I'm usually in the Marriott across the street, but the bar is the best in the area

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Greetings Tap Room Fan! Thank you for visiting us while staying at a nearby hotel. I need to learn how I can earn your entire business when you are in the area. There is nothing easier than enjoying all the Tap Room has to offer then ride the elevator to the comforts of your room here at The Somerset Hills Hotel. Next time you are in town, please ask for me so I can learn how to further assist you. Have a great day and thank you so much for going out of your way to write about us. I will also let Carlie know that you had great things to say about her as well.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

My partner and I stayed here for two nights for a family reunion. If I could I'd give this 3 1/2 stars. The hotel staff are cheerful and helpful. The rooms comfortable but no microwave or refrigerator and for us the bed too soft. But a nicely done room with several options for seating. The included continental breakfast was somewhat limited but with hot items and tasty. There is a nice bar as well. We stayed here to attend a high school reunion which was really nicely done with a surprisingly delicious dinner buffet. There is a nice outdoor sitting area and pool but was too chilly for us to enjoy. One of the friendliest WIFI setups ever. Although we only needed to stay the one night we were glad we stayed the extra night and if in this area again would stay here for sure.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor and glad when we found out those on the 2nd floor were bothered a bit by th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello To Our New Friends in Virginia! Thank you so much for your verbal 3 1/2 stars. That mean so much to me and the entire staff. We work very hard as a team to make 100% certain our guests are happy and comfortable while being away from home. I am happy you had a great time and please come visit The Somerset Hills Hotel anytime you are in our neighborhood. Have a fantastic holiday season and thank you again for being our valued guest.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Ever have a pair of shoes that may be a little worn and out of fashion, but still feel great when you put them on? That's Somerset Hills.

The rooms are comfortable and clean though not necessarily polished and pristine. If new and updated is your style, you may be put off.

The real draw is The Tap Room. It's like an English pub was dropped into the middle of New Jersey. Friendly staff, a great drink selection, and a contingent of regulars make this a fun place to unwind. The attached restaurant also has a fine menu of well-prepared dishes.

Don't stay there if you're trying to build up reward points (they don't exist, to my knowledge), but if you want to reward yourself, stay at Somerset Hills next time you're in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Greetings Atlanta! Thank you for reaching out to us with your compliments. Shortly we will make some great changes to our property while maintaining that comfy shoe feeling that you appreciated. We greatly appreciate your business and your feedback. We look forward to having you back as our guest real soon and we wish you all the best!

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I have been going here for over 4 years, this really is a fantastic beer bar. The manager of the bar, Kevin Torpey, really knows his beers and works extremely hard to consistently have a diverse and approachable line-up for all tastes. Through long-standing relationships with his distributor he often gets rare offerings (recently Founders DOOM!) that you will not see at competing NJ beer bars. As a beer enthusiast I always try a new-to-me beer that Kevin has on tap (check out the extraordinary bottle list) as he always seems to be ahead of the curve with up and coming breweries. The servers (Rachel and Carli) are very knowledgeable about what they are pouring and I always receive a great pour in the proper glassware. This is a great place to meet up with fellow beer fans and try something new and to just hang out. People that I have suggested this bar to are always shocked at just how great the selection is, if you are likeminded do yourself a favor and check this place out. Also, don't take my word for it, go check the reviews on beeradvocate.com and beernexus.com. If you see me there come say HI! - Drinksy Dinks.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Hello and thank you for your recent visit to both The Somerset Hills Hotel and The Tap Room. We greatly appreciate your comments and I agree, Kevin takes great care of our customers. We are doing a Dog Fish Head event on November 15, 2013 if you wish to join us. Thank you again and we wish you all the best!

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Sounds like that this hotel is a wedding party destination in this particular neck of NJ woods. And that's the reason we were there. Self-described as "lavish" and "luxury" the place is anything but. The problems start with reservations - once a wedding party reservation has been made, the individual ones are made by phone. Hence no confirmation emails (just a #) and lots of opportunity for errors - one gentleman in our party was somehow put in for an extra day, when clearly the festivities were limited to just one overnight stay. The parking lot is rather large, no one had a problem finding a spot, and the shuttle was operating as promised. Rooms are spacious but dated, décor, amenities, and utilities. Temperature control was working poorly, +/- 5 F changes didn't seem to register. The sink in the bathroom was not draining properly, neither did the bathtub, which is nothing compared to the troubles of a fellow wedding guest, who had a flooded toilet. WiFi and TV were operational, as were vending and ice machines. Elevators, however, do not have sensors in the doors, as one now somewhat flattened member of our party discovered for herself. Live entertainment at the Tap Room doesn't stay at the Tap Room and we could hear it on the 4th floor till ~1 am. No one was at the desk between 7 and 8 am to help a couple from our party with a pair of one-year-olds to find the luggage carts, and when they did manage to summon a member of the staff they were told that the carts were somewhere on the property but the staff had no idea where exactly. When I checked in I was told that the hotel ran out of the breakfast cards, so I had to call for them in the morning. I shouldn't have bothered at all as the breakfast was awful. Undercooked potatoes and strangely bitter scrambled eggs. I don't feel that strangely and anything FDA associates with Salmonella enterica every now and then are worth a risk, so I got on with a bagel and orange juice. The kitchen staff was very generous with coffee and orange juice refills, so there is that. And the place is rather cheap. Not sure I got exactly what I paid for, definitely not what it is advertised as.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank gordonsmc
Tony M, Manager at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Fall Greetings from Somerset, NJ! Thank you for trusting us regarding your block of rooms here at The Somerset Hills Hotel. Unfortunately it looks like we fell short on several items and I completely apologize for this. I have been here a short period of time and I am taking every item you addressed very serious. It is my entire goal to resolve these issues one by one and we do have great plans to make this hotel a grand scale facility in the near future. I do apologize that this was how we had to be experienced as it is out intention to make sure our guests are comfortable and satisfied while staying with us. Please contact me so I can have a second chance at making a better impression as this was totally unacceptable and will be shared with the entire management to be properly address. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

This hotel describes its accommodation as "deluxe" which it is anything but! Cracked tiles, peeling wallpaper, rusting fixtures and shabby bedding is a better description. The Indigo across the road is a far better option in this part of New Jersey.

2  Thank samndan2000

Greetings! My name is Tony Morreale and I have recently taken on the position as General Manager for The Somerset Hills Hotel. First I would like to sincerely apologize for the short falls you have experienced while you were with us. I am happy to share that we have great plans for the future in addressing all the issues you have outlined. Unfortunately it does not make the day you were here better but it will place us in a much more favorable light regarding these issues. I would love the opportunity to make a better first impression and I do apologize you had these challenges while with us. Thank you for sharing your comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Warren
Hotel Indigo Basking Ridge
11 mi away
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#2 of 5 in Morristown

Been to Somerset Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!