“Great hotel, fabulous bar!”

Somerset Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Warren
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Clean bright hotel, fantastic staff. The Tap Room, the bar inside the hotel is a wonderful experience. Best beer selection in town. Kevin, who runs the Tap Room, goes above and beyond to ensure your time spent in The Tap Room is a great customer experience. Live music, great drinks and a great bar staff make the Tap Room a great place to enjoy a night out.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Somerset Hills Hotel

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I alternate between Somerset Hills and the Marriott down the road when traveling to this area on business. On the plus side, Somerset is usually about $100 per night cheaper, and with some of the recent upgrades, not a bad deal. Aesthetically, it's a nice place. I can certainly see why people would choose Somerset for functions like wedding receptions. They have a bar and restaurant on premises -- The Tap Room -- and the food is pretty good. The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This is a big plus because there are only 2-3 local restaurants in the immediate area. The rooms have always been clean for the most part and the beds are comfortable if you don't mind the small pillows. Never a problem with hot water and the front desk staff are typically very courteous and friendly.

The main problem with Somerset is that it is old, and I don't mean in a charming sort of way. I mean dated. Carpets, furnishings, fixtures, etc range anywhere from being reasonably decent to crying out for attention. Not completely horrible mind you, but obviously needing improvement. Like I said, they have done some updating and it shows, but more capital investment is needed to bring the property to full potential. This becomes all too apparent if you need to use the heating and air conditioning systems. During my most recent visit the unit was so loud I had to turn up the TV every time it kicked on. In fact, I had to cut it off while working at the desk next to it in order to use the phone. I could even hear it roaring from the hallway with the door closed. Now, as I said, I've stayed at the Somerset a number of times in the past, and to be honest, I don't recall having quite as much of a problem with the HVAC unit noise so maybe this one was particularly bad. That said, even on a good day, the HVAC systems have always been a notable deficiency -- they are loud and fail to regulate the temperature properly. Thus, the best value at the Somerset is during times when ambient temps are neither very cold nor very hot and you do not need to use the HVAC units. Otherwise, if you are sensitive to such things you might be in for a long night.

Overall, I can recommend the Somerset because I think it does present a good value proposition. It's also nice to stay at a place with reasonably good accommodations that is not part of a cookie cutter franchise brand. If you travel a lot you learn to appreciate such places. However, there are a few rough edges here, most of which I find rather inconsequential, except for the HVAC units which I hope they will be able to improve in the near future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Tony M, Manager at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Greetings from The Somerset Hills Hotel! Thank you for your honest feedback and most importantly, thank you for continuing to trust us with your overnight accommodations when visiting Warren, NJ. I agree the hotel has a lot of classic charm and does not reflect the cookie cutter hotel. We do also offer a great value for the price which makes a lot of people happy. We have great future plans and we look forward to sharing them with you and all our loyal customers. Thank you for going out of your way to personally share your experiences and I look forward to meeting you upon your next visit. We wish you and your family a great Thanksgiving!

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Recently I was on a business trip and had a two-day stay at the Somerset Hills Hotel.

I want to share my experience in their restaurant bar called The Tap Room located on the ground floor .

One thing I must add is that the staff is very professional and made me very comfortable. You can tell they meet with people from out of town and make you feel very welcome.

I had noticed all the different beers they had on tap They also let me sample some of their local brewers beers and they were really great.
I had found one incredible beer ( I’m not a beer drinker) that I came back for the following night of my stay.

I also want to address the food selection and menus variety. Excellent.
I am looking forward to my return in the near future.

It was a great experience!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

The Somerset Hills Hotel Team would like to thank you for taking your personal time to share your nice comments about The Tap Room and your experience. Kevin, our Bar Manager has worked hard making certain our beer experience partnered with genuine real service comes across to each and every one of our guests. We are happy that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to your return very soon. Thank you again and we wish you and your family a great Thanksgiving.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Arrived late and tired from long trip. Walked in for a room and report that from that instant, until my wife and I departed the next day all of our experiences were rated SUPERB.
Asking for a best rate my retired US Army ID card made us feel as honored. A wonderful early Veteran's Day for us. The Tap Room on Halloween was full of happy folks and I rate that a special "TREAT" Food, well prepared and presented !Room cheerful and the handicap access to the bath facilities exceeded most. Spoke with Tony Morreale to express our best thoughts. The staff inquired as to our destination and suggested a alternative route which really saved many miles for us. Thank you

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Edward B
Tony M, Manager at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Greetings to our new friends from Virginia! Thank you so much for being our valued guest on Halloween. We are so happy that you enjoyed the services here at The Somerset Hotel. We are also delighted that you enjoyed our food and beverage in the Tap Room. I am happy you got to Cape Cod safely and quickly based on our new directions provided. Anytime you are in the Central New Jersey area, you have a new home to enjoy. I will share your kind message with the entire team. We wish you both a great holiday season and thank you again!

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I always think you can tell a lot about a hotel by the initial contact with the clerk at check-in. In this case, the Somerset Inn is lucky to have a professional like Kathy working the desk.Kathy did a great job explaining the hotel amenities and the area to me at check-in. I also saw a few rooms had balconies and she was able to move me to a room with a balcony while maintaining her smile the entire time.

The room itself as clean, spacious and bed were comfortable. Nothing special to say about the room but no negatives either. Only issue was it seemed that they set it so the AC could not be turned below 70 so it as a little warm.

The gym is small but functional for a one or two night stay.

The restaurant was nice with some hits on the menu but some misses too. Service was great in the afternoon and at night; the breakfast service was among the worst ever as the servers basically stood around rather than coming over to take my order and when they brought the food they just dropped the plates without a word.

Was there for a week and really enjoyed the hotel, except for the breakfast which after the first day I just went to restaurants in the area instead.

Also, when checking out the was an error on the bill but I was relieved when I went to the desk and saw that the pleasant clerk from check-in (Kathy) was there and she fixed the issue quickly and professionally.

Will stay there again when I'm back in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Tony M, Manager at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Greetings Texas! Thank you for selecting The Somerset Hills Hotel for your recent visit. Being far from home, we are so happy that your experienced our genuine service and comfort that sets us apart in our area. I also agree that Kathy really cares about her guests and of course her staff and this is a complete reflection of these positive efforts. We also have great plans to make the Fitness Center a much better experience along with the entire hotel.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

I make sure to visit the Tap Room located in the hotel every time I'm in the area. Great selection of beers, great wings, and great staff. Carli is the best.
I havent stayed at the hotel itself, as I'm usually in the Marriott across the street, but the bar is the best in the area

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Greetings Tap Room Fan! Thank you for visiting us while staying at a nearby hotel. I need to learn how I can earn your entire business when you are in the area. There is nothing easier than enjoying all the Tap Room has to offer then ride the elevator to the comforts of your room here at The Somerset Hills Hotel. Next time you are in town, please ask for me so I can learn how to further assist you. Have a great day and thank you so much for going out of your way to write about us. I will also let Carlie know that you had great things to say about her as well.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

My partner and I stayed here for two nights for a family reunion. If I could I'd give this 3 1/2 stars. The hotel staff are cheerful and helpful. The rooms comfortable but no microwave or refrigerator and for us the bed too soft. But a nicely done room with several options for seating. The included continental breakfast was somewhat limited but with hot items and tasty. There is a nice bar as well. We stayed here to attend a high school reunion which was really nicely done with a surprisingly delicious dinner buffet. There is a nice outdoor sitting area and pool but was too chilly for us to enjoy. One of the friendliest WIFI setups ever. Although we only needed to stay the one night we were glad we stayed the extra night and if in this area again would stay here for sure.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor and glad when we found out those on the 2nd floor were bothered a bit by th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello To Our New Friends in Virginia! Thank you so much for your verbal 3 1/2 stars. That mean so much to me and the entire staff. We work very hard as a team to make 100% certain our guests are happy and comfortable while being away from home. I am happy you had a great time and please come visit The Somerset Hills Hotel anytime you are in our neighborhood. Have a fantastic holiday season and thank you again for being our valued guest.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Warren
Courtyard Basking Ridge
#2 of 4 in Basking Ridge
HYATT house Bridgewater
HYATT house Bridgewater
#2 of 6 in Bridgewater

Been to Somerset Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!