“I mean 'Really"?”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Warren
Springfield, Missouri
“I mean 'Really"?”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Someone forgot they were in the "Hospitality" business. At almost $150.00 per night for the decor of decades paste and the current remodel "In Progress " The price was very high, the best part of this place was the curb appeal of the front.
For a Saturday this place was kind of a ghost town and didn't see many people staying here or using the bar or restaurant.
Getting Coffee in the morning was a shocking joke, I was shocked to learn on weekends they do not set Coffee out for the Hotel guests, Really! that is reserved for those who only enjoy coffee Monday through Friday, Even lower cost brands keep the coffee on and hot in the mornings for their guests paying less than 1/2 per night, they want you to use the tiny coffee packet in the room with no cream, Have you ever wondered how those are cleaned or if they are cleaned.
Sunday I was lucky to have a smug front desk clerk tell me that no coffee on the weekends was normal for a corporate brand and he was surprised I did not know that and looked at me like I was the crazy guests for expecting coffee with my $139.00 a night room before the local taxes. I guess every other hotel has just spoiled me in the morning with the complimentary coffee, I also found out on Monday morning that you can't get coffee before 6:30 am, Nope, I had to wait 15 minutes as I discovered this guy actually will not budge on when he sets the coffee out for guests, wow. I have never been made to feel like I was inconvenient by a hotel before.

Save yourself some cash and disappointment's and stay at a national brand where you can expect industry consistency in both decor and guest services.

I will be back to the area but will not stay here ever again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Dave S
John A, General Manager at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on your recent stay at The Somerset Hills Hotel. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.
Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is a nice traditional property, but very poorly run. My room was nice enough and clean, but outdated décor and a one-cup coffee maker that didn't even include enough supplies to make a second cup was a non-starter. I was highly offended when I was charged $16.00 for a single malt scotch that is commonly served other places for $8-$10. The service in the Tap Room was very poor too.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank luv2eatout2nite
John A, General Manager at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate all of the feedback from our guests. As you could probably tell from our hotel, we are in the process of a complete renovation. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered. We pride ourselves on our service and the value that we offer our guests. We typically get very good reviews on our restaurant and bar and will address your service issue in this matter with the Bar Manager. The prices that we charge are inline with our competitors. Again please accept our apologies and look forward to your return when the hotel is completely renovated.

Best Regards,
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed there for a wedding, we had to change room 3 times because the A/C didn't work in the rooms. The whole 2nd floor had no A/C and the management didn't tell the Front Desk. We couldn't blame the girls @ the Front Desk, but the management here is terrible. Also No fridge or microwave in room. Room very dated . Won't stay here again. Strong odor of cigarettes in the hallway. Furniture old and very uncomfortable. Other Friends were given a room that was already occupied & their key worked the door, Thank God no one was in the room @ that time, because of that & A/C problems they changed rooms 4 times. DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL, there's another right up the street, go there.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel !!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Bill S
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We take all of our guests feedback very seriously. As you could probably tell from your stay with us, we are currently undergoing a complete renovation. This alone will assist in addressing the outdated furniture and A/C issues that you refer to in your review. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I look forward to your return to our beautifully restored hotel. Thank you again for your comments.

Kind Regards,
John A.

Travellers are raving about these Warren hotels

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night while in town for a wedding. I called several times prior since we were flying in & needed a place to get ready prior to the ceremony, but they kept giving us the run around. We also asked to be in a connecting room to our friends. We checked in (only thing that went smoothly), but the elevator wasn't working so we could only go to the fourth floor & then take the stairs to the third. The hallways stunk of cigarette smoke. The ice machine didn't work on our floor, or the fourth floor. The room was dated, dark & dingy. The wallpaper was peeling & the bathroom counter was rotting. No fridge in the room. Extremely uncomfortable bed. The worst part of the night was when we tried to take the "shuttle" to the reception. We went down to the lobby at 5:15 to wait for the two shuttles at 5:30 & 5:45. The shuttle was actually a van that fit maybe 15 people (for a wedding with 300+ people attending). They added more trips, but after about 5 shuttles and 90 minutes later, we decided to take a taxi. The taxi service in town must know what a disaster the shuttle service is as they were waiting outside the hotel. Same problem getting back, but another friend offered us a ride. The bar was tiny & dirty. They said the bar was open til 2am but last call was around 1am. The next morning, there was a breakfast which was nice and the staff was relatively friendly. While we were in the lobby saying our goodbyes, we didn't notice anyone staffing the front desk for almost 30 minutes - which was odd considering it was check out time. I know they're doing renovations, but this place needs a lot of help. Don't stay here - we would have picked another hotel except we were planning on using their shuttle!

Stayed March 2014
4 Thank lauracg524
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments. I would first like to address the shuttle issue that you refer to. We organize our shuttle schedules based on the amount of guestrooms that the Bride and Groom block off. At the time that the group block was filled our shuttle schedules were based on the total room count x 2 persons. This has worked out for our Wedding blocks in the past with very few issues. The majority of issues have been surrounding the fact that many local residents feel that they are entitled to the use of shuttles as well and take up some of our parking spaces. We have addressed this since your stay and will only allow registered hotel guests on our shuttles. We have a rooming list to check all passengers. I am glad you mentioned our renovation as we are extremely excited about this. Please give us another chance if you are ever in the area again. I promise you your experience will be quite diffferent.
Again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your return.
Kind Regards,
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We showed up to Somerset around 2am after coming in from Pennsylvania where we were staying with family. Joseph A. at the front desk went above and beyond to get us into a hotel room even though the hotel was nearly sold out. We had already endured a bad experience in the state of NJ but Joseph turned our experience around, got us a room, and even made us feel extra welcome with complimentary breakfast. If I ever came back to NJ I would definitely to back again.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Ashems89
John A, General Manager at Somerset Hills Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at The Somerset Hills Hotel with such positive feedback! I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to providing you the same pleasant accommodations and service the next time you are in town.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

No refridge or microwave in room.Room very dated . Won't stay here again. Strong odor of cigarettes in the hallway. Furniture old and very uncomfortable.I had expected more from this hotel.Should have read the reviews before booking. I don't have anything positive to say about the hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank ginny A
new york
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I almost booked this place for my upcoming wedding, however, once i began dealing with them, i found to be the staff worse than the hotel staff in the movie THE SHINING. This hotel has the absolute WORST customer service in the entire world. The front desk manager (female) is a bobbling idiot who cant tell the difference between a hotel reservation and room and cant even spell a word let alone write a coherent contract. The General Manager was nothing short of rude. I wouldnt let my dog stay in this hotel, let alone a human being. The toilets were out of order, from the time that i attended a wedding last year, and the same toilets were out of order a year later. The hotel claims its under going renovations/slash a busted pipe, but i have no doubt it is the careless, rude, and moronic staff in charge of the place that has let it run down to this level of disaster of epic proportions. This hotel is disgusting and i advise against anyone ever staying there.

Room Tip: pick a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank weiner23
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent INQUIRY about sleeping rooms at The Somerset Hills Hotel, for your out of town guests, for your upcoming wedding at one of our competing wedding venues in the area. We appreciate your comments but feel the need to explain the current condition of our lovely hotel. We have posted signs all over the hotel announcing the renovation of the entire hotel, which we realize is inconvenient for some of our guests although the majority of them haven't been inconvenienced due to the renovation and the entire renovation should be completed by the summer. The majority of our weekends are for wedding blocks and we are extremely sensitive to our brides' needs and realize that this is a very special time and try to meet all of their concerns. After speaking with you I realized that we would not be able to meet your specific needs and offered to hold your guest room block at our sister hotel across the street. After you declined any further assistance we felt that again we wouldn't be able to exceed your expectations considering the renovation. Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warren
Courtyard Basking Ridge
Hampton Inn & Suites Bridgewater
HYATT house Branchburg
HYATT house Branchburg
#1 of 5 in Branchburg

Been to Somerset Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!