“Great chineese food experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cheng Du 23

Cheng Du 23
Ranked #11 of 154 Restaurants in Wayne
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Wanaque nj
“Great chineese food experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

During multiple visits to this lovely place the food and service never disappoint at this Byob restaurant

• Visited June 2014

New York City, New York
“Greasy Greasy Greasy!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Since folks have used words like best, love, amazing, delicious, authentic etc. figured hell I needed to get me some of this magic Sichuan, being a fan of bold spice and wok prepared dishes, I hauled my butt out to Wayne with all the glowing reviews fresh in my head eager to indulge.

From the outside the place is rather generic but as I entered things began to improve, the dining room was quite large, clean and well decorated. Service was crisp and efficient yet a bit distant but thats quite often the case in Chinese restaurants and came as no surprise here. Got a pot of tea for two bucks and began perusing the menu and chatting with my son after a few moments we decided on a couple protein & vegetable stir fries and asked for them to be extra spicy, the meals came with wonton soup as part of the lunch specials.

After a short time passed the soups arrived hot and I enjoyed the wontons very much, the broth wasn't laced with sodium but perhaps MSG. The bowls were cleared quickly and our entrees brought to the table fresh from the wok absolutely swimming in chili oil, I mean glistening like the crankshaft of a Ferrari. The dish was a total grease pit, shame because the ingredients looked fresh and were cooked well but the overwhelming taste of cheap chili oil didn't add to the spice it just destroyed the food and it laid very heavily in our stomachs.

I'm not using any of the adjectives in my first sentence to describe my meal here, white people Chinese food for sure just skip it.

• Visited February 2014
Gaithersburg, MD
“Very good Chinese food in NJ suburbs!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

The restaurant is located in a big shopping area that includes a mall and several strip centers - not where I would expect to find a really good Chinese restaurant. HOWEVER - this one meets the hopes for a great place to eat. The portions are large, the food well prepared, and the ambiance pleasant. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone who likes traditional Chinese food - and is not looking for chow mein and chop suey! Go - Eat - Enjoy

• Visited May 2014
New York City, New York
“Good food, ok service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

It is often hard to find non generic Chinese food in the suburbs. This places is a pleasant exception. Menu goes way beyond chicken with broccoli :). Lots of regional dishes. I like Szechuan so I was happy. Food is nice and flavorful, the only let down was shrimp fried rice that we got for my 3 year old. It has 3 shrimps in the entire portion. Service is a bit curt, but I would not comes here for a romantic experience, rather for food and food only

• Visited February 2014
Wayne, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Asian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Absolutely terrific Chinese food. Well prepared and a great value. The crispy sea bass is first rate and service is very good.

• Visited May 2013

Been to Cheng Du 23? Share your experiences!