“Go Hungry!!!”

Son Cubano at Port Imperial
Reserve with OpenTable
Son Cubano at Port Imperial is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 102 Restaurants in West New York
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Cuban
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: River Road
Transit: NY Waterway Ferry @ Port Imperial in Weehawken; NJ Transit Bus NJ Transit Light Rail
Description: Son Cubano, or the "Sound of Cuba", successfully brought a style reminiscent of the elegance and opulence of "The Havana 50s".
Bedford, NY
“Go Hungry!!!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The service was impeccable and the mojitos were fantastic. The food was okay. They give huge portions with a lot of meat and almost no veg or starch at all. The Masitas appetizer was okay. The roasted pork was delicious, but the pork belly could have used a bit more salt and more crisping. The pinchos de toro were good. The meat was lacking in flavor, but the tofu and sauce compensated. The pernil was delicious; I even took the leftovers home. The filet was fine; given the way it was cooked, it was more of a brisket, but not bad. Bread good, but butter nasty. I would go back, but not for a long while. Maybe this is a once a year place. One can only eat so much meat. They should take away some of the meat and add a veg or some potatoes or anything. Maybe this isn't the Cuban way, but it is hard to eat so much meat.

• Visited June 2014
SonCubano, Guest Relations Manager at Son Cubano at Port Imperial, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience at Son Cubano! We do appreciate your feedback on our food portions and will look into a lighter option. We are in the midst of updating our menu, as we have a new chef in house. Please look out for an announcement when the menu is ready for you to try! Thank you for your valued feedback.

• Greek first
NJ
“Promising”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Nice place to have few drinks, but expensive. Nice view and good Cuban music. Gets very crowded on sat night with mediocre DJ.. Overall recommended if you just want to chill and have few mojitos and oysters

• Visited June 2014
SonCubano, Manager at Son Cubano at Port Imperial, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Saturday nights are very popular at Son Cubano. We welcome you to try our 1/2 price appetizers and drink specials on Thursdays. We still over great entertainment, come after work! We appreciate your valuable feedback.
New York City, New York
“Sleek and elegant!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We had a great night here, the staff is friendly...food and drinks were delish!!! Music was perfect :) The atmosphere was warm and inviting. I loved loved loved the breathtaking view of NYC!
Great place for couples - Very romantic!
This lifted my spirit after a recent horrible experience at Don Coqui. This place delivered in every way
Good Job Son Cubanos! We'll definitely visit again!

• Visited June 2014
SonCubano, Manager at Son Cubano at Port Imperial, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you Madeline, we are thrilled that you enjoyed your time at Son Cubano! We hope to see you again very soon.
New Jersey
“Nice Atmosphere and Location”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I recently had lunch at Son Cubano with a client and a colleague. The atmosphere inside is very classy and the views of NYC are beautiful. There is an outdoor seating area which is probably great during the nice weather (it rained the day we dined). Our client picked the restaurant, unaware that I am vegan. As I always do, I checked the menu online so I could decide what/how I could order and was able to find something. Unfortunately the menu online was different than the menu at the restaurant. There were really no vegetable choices (all the salads had meat and cheese). I did end up ordering the Cuban Cobb salad, which ended up being a bowl of fresh spinach after I had the chef remove everything I don't eat! That's fine though--my choice to be vegan and I don't expect others (or restaurants) to cater just to me. It was tasty though so I can't complain about the taste or freshness. I was just disappointed that a north Jersey restaurant so close to NYC did not have any real options for vegans or vegetarians. My client (who is gluten-free) did his own menu research and ordered something that was appropriate for his dietary restrictions. Unfortunately, they brought him the wrong entree, which was not gluten-free. Overall, if you are looking for a nice view, fresh food, and you do not have dietary restrictions, the Son Cubano would be a good choice.

• Visited April 2014
WEST NEW YORK
“Beautiful restaurant and view!!!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Son Cubano is a beautiful restaurant with a fantastic view of New York City. The food is obviously Cuban and good. We enjoyed ourselves and will be back!!!

• Visited December 2013