“A diamond in the rough”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Hoboken, New Jersey
“A diamond in the rough”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I have moved into Westfield from Hoboken. Had two kids, needed the big yard, wanted a good school system...you know the drill. We chose Westfield because it has great schools, low crime and a great downtown. All of that is true. What they don't tell you is that the downtown has restaurants that leave something to be desired. I don't know what it is but average seems perfectly acceptable in this town. We have tried about a dozen restaurants and have left disappointed every time.

The one exception? Turning Point. This place ALWAYS has a line, and there is a reason for it. It is one of the few places (the only place I have found) that has food that is actually rich in taste. The meals are actually unique. They have flavor. It is crazy.

What I found even crazier is how low it is ranked on this site. It is EASILY top 5. The only issue I see is they don't do dinner.

• Visited August 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing food and Atmosphere”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Visited this place earlier today. Very quaint atmosphere with helpful and friendly staff. We sat outside and had a nice view of the downtown area and street. Ordered the Big Easy Benedict and it was delicious. Eggs cooked perfectly and dish was very flavorful. My friend ordered the OMG french toast and described it as delectable. The pumpkin marscipone was the highlight of the dish and made all of the flavors mix well together. I would definitely recommend and come here again!

Linden, New Jersey, United States
“good food but inconsistent service”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Our first time eating here was a few months ago and our experience was great. I was hesitant to try it b/c I had read reviews online that the service was inconsistent, but I was very pleased with our first visit. Today, we had family visiting from Brooklyn and we thought they would enjoy brunch at the Turning Point. Surprisingly, there was little wait for our large party. Our server was CJ. She was not very friendly and when we asked questions, she seemed unsure of the answer. I ordered my children dishes off of the kids menu and remembered from our last visit that their meals come with a drink and if you wanted to upgrade to a specialty drink (a smoothie) it would be $1 more. CJ told us that it would cost us the regular $4.75 smoothie price and that they just split the smoothie into two cups for the kids. After asking 3 times if she was sure, she must have finally asked someone else because she came and told us that it was just $1 more. I also ordered a tropical smoothie for myself. Everyone else's drinks at the table came out pretty quickly (including both my kids' smoothies which were also tropical), except mine. I mentioned my missing drink after awhile and after 10 mins still nothing, then the food is served and still no smoothie. After reminding her about it two more times, the smoothie comes out and it doesn't taste like the tropical smoothie I ordered, it clearly tasted like strawberry banana! I even tasted my kids' smoothie to compare- they had tropical and I had strawberry banana. We bring it to CJ's attention and she told me I was wrong that she watched the lady at the counter make it- by this time I just annoyed so I just give up and drink the smoothie. Another problem we had was my daughter ordered the waffle with fresh strawberries and bananas on the side with whipped cream and when her food arrived it had other fruit in a bowl on the side- pineapple, honeydew, etc. We tell CJ and she tells us "sometimes they put other fruit out." We told her but the menu says "Waffle with strawberries and bananas" and if we can have that and she goes "oh, sure." and brings out the small cup of strawberries and bananas. The taste of our food was overall excellent, but I wish the service was more consistent. I guess being July 5, many people are down the shore. The restaurant was not crowded at all so it's not like it was chaotic in there. I understand that servers are humans and mistakes happen, but our visit today was just frustrating for me.

• Visited July 2014
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Great relaxing brunch”
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Elegant outdoors seating that offers lots of choices. Great selection of coffee and loose leaf teas.

Enjoyed our food and the ambiance.

Plainfield
“Good Food But...”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My husband and I went for breakfast today. The atmosphere is inviting and clean. We were seated quickly, the waitress came and took our drink orders right away. She brought our beverages and took our order fairly fast. I ordered the Wilbur scramble well done minus avocado while my husband ordered the egg whites with potatoes and turkey sausage. When my food came 30 minutes later the eggs were not well done. She took it back. When she returned I realized it had avocado. I told the waitress and she agreed that I did order without. She asked if I wanted it redone. She also stated that they did not have the right people in the kitchen. I told her I would just pick out the avocado as I did not want to wait another 30 minutes. My husband had no complaints about his meal other than there was not enough potatoes. Either they skimped on the food or the plate was way too large which made his plate seem empty. My serving was large and it was tasty but would have been much better if I did not have to wait 30 minutes for food that was not well done and did not have to pick out the avocados. Would I go back? Probably, but not if I am in a hurry.

• Visited June 2014