“Interesting” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westfield
Binghamton, New York
“Interesting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

We were in an interesting situation with this one. A reservation was made for us, and we didn't want to stay. Unfortunately, by the time we found out, it was past their notification time.
The on-line rate when we initially checked was under $100.00 a night. Because we didn't want to stay, we felt we should cancel the room. When we went to the hotel, we found out that we had missed the deadline and that the charge was about $150.00. Two calls came in while we were standing at the counter, the callers were looking for rooms - they were turned away. We were also told that there was a waiting list on the desk of people looking for a room. Now, we didn't mind paying a cancellation fee, but to pay $50.00 more than the advertised on-line price seemed a bit much. Then, during one of the calls, we got the impression that they were going to rent the room to another guest. I asked for a copy of our bill to make certain we would only be paying for our charges (in case someone else did check in). I was told I could not get a copy of our bill until 11:PM at the earliest. We went to the room, unmade the bed and looked around.Part of the safety bar in the shower was kind of hanging there, and there appeared to be a stained (mildew?) washcloth in a basket (that held toiletries) on the edge of the sink.
Other than that, the room appeared average, but their customer service was...impressive - but not in a good way.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PCFL1
Donna M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Westfield Inn, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
I am sorry someone made a reservation for you that you decided not to keep. Unfortunately, like all hotels, we have a cancellation policy. Our policy is by 4pm on the day of arrival. In almost all cases, if we are able to sell the room to a new guest we will not charge you the cancellation fee of one night's room and tax. In your situation, since you chose to take the key, enter the room and "use" the room, we were not able to resell it. Therefore, you were only charged the rate you booked online, nothing more. We hope you and the Tripadvisor readers can understand the decision we made.

Best Western Westfield Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Knoxville,TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

This hotel is a very convenient place to stay for a visit to the NYC area because you can walk to the NJ Transit train and bus and leave your vehicle at the hotel. There is an adequate free breakfast available. The hotel is VERY old. There are restaurants of all kinds within walking distance. We had a few housekeeping issues during this particular stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Donna M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Westfield Inn, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to express your feelings about your stay with us. Although we are almost 40 years old, we maintain a very quaint and charming atmosphere that is perfect for a traveler looking for something a little unique. We will continue doing our small refurbishments while keeping our Bed and Breakfast type feel. We hope to see again in the near future.

Sayre, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed at the Westfield Best Western for two nights while visiting in the area. We were very impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel. The people at the front desk were helpful and friendly. We will certainly stay there again when we visit the area. The two drawbacks was minimal parking for guests and ice machine broken the entire time we were there. The motel was clean and quiet.

Room Tip: We got the top floor, so it was very quiet!
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Donna M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Westfield Inn, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thank you for recognizing our entire staff and the hard work they do to try to make every guest feel welcome. It means so much to them when a guest acknowledges their efforts. I am so sorry that you were here during the time we were waiting for our new ice machine to be delivered. We have another one on the second floor but we realize that it was a terrible inconvenience. I do hope we have the opportunity to have you as our guest again and will have plenty of ice for you!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

Stayed here for the night as I was checking out houses in Westfield. The hotel has a great central dowtown location with a friendly front desk. Beyond that, I can't really think of many positives for the hotel. It is very dated, musty, and throughout the night the small fridge made a ton of noise. Would not recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Donna M, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Westfield Inn, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words about our wonderful town and our staff. Our entire team takes great pride in giving the ultimate guest experience to our guests and it is always a pleasure to know that they are achieving their goals. I appreciate you letting me know about the refridgerator having an issue. While our preventive maintenace program usually corrects such concerns, we appreciate your comments. I would also like to tell you that we are in the process of upgrading the hotel and that changes are being made on a daily basis. I hope you consider coming back again and seeing the upgrades that we have made.

Kim Tyler
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

The only place we were recommended near to family to visit. A bit run down and kinda what I expected. A smell pervaded the small lobby and hotel the first day that we were there, not sure what but not pleasant, it disappeared by the second day. Large rooms but creaky floors overhead, dark hallways and bathroom had no counter space at all. It is next to a train station and we are not used to that but not too bad. Great little town with nice restaurants and shops so surprised there is not a nicer hotel there. I enjoyed walking around and the staff was nice and pleasant to us, just prefer more up to date places for a chain or would rather stay in an inn...

• 4 of 5 bubbles
While our customer satisfaction scores are usually very high, you apparently found several concerns leading to a dissatisfied stay with us at the Best Western Westfield Inn. Please know that your comments are a disappointment to our entire team. Regarding our current renovation program, we already have guests noticing the changes in their rooms. Hopefully you will consider coming back and enjoying these new updates, which include a fully renovated bathroom with new granite vanities, (one of the things that you mentioned bothered you). Let me add that I am so pleased that you got to experience Westfield during your stay with us. I hope you will consider coming back to see our upgrades in the future.

Kim Tyler
honolulu
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

I made a reservation for 4 nights months ago; arrived -- coming all the way from Hawaii -- only to be told that the reservation had been cancelled, and that they were full. The worst part about this was the manager kept insisting, in a very accusatory tone, that I myself had called to cancel, which is not true. I asked if they had e-mailed me a cancellation number, and she said they don't do that. I managed to find another hotel in the area, a small inn, and the owner told me that this place has a lax cancellation policy and often overbooks. So some people, like me, are left standing in the rain -- literally -- it was pouring, and I had to walk to my niece's house with my luggage.

They may have overbooked; or another customer is going to be angry when the cancellation they did make isn't honored, and they are charged for one night. I travel a good deal, and stay in a variety of hotels. I have never been treated so badly by a motel manager. Best Western is a no-go now in my book.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
I am sincerely sorry that we experienced a problem with your reservation. I can assure you that we take great care and provide the highest security with the reservations that we cancel. Unfortunately, your reservation appears to have been cancelled by a party claiming to be you. Then we were sold out when you arrived, so our only recourse was to help you find other accommodations which you refused. I am truly sorry that there was confusion regarding the cancellation of your reservation and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely

Kimberly Tyler
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

All round good hotel, spacious rooms that are well looked after. Very comfortable bed, separate desk as well as fridge and microwave. Effective air conditioning
Great emphasis on cleanliness even down to the TV remote.
Very good breakfast included within the room rate as well as free and quick internet access.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westfield
BEST WESTERN PLUS Murray Hill Hotel & Suites
Grand Summit Hotel
Grand Summit Hotel
#1 of 1 in Summit
BEST WESTERN Riverview Inn & Suites

Been to BEST WESTERN Westfield Inn? Share your experiences!