“Sorry, below average hotel”
Review of Red Carpet Inn

Red Carpet Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Whippany
East Norriton, Pennsylvania
“Sorry, below average hotel”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Room was clean. That was about it. Halls were unheated with dirty carpets. Bath linens I would use to was my car. Iron was broken. TV- Circa 1990. There was an overflowing tractor-trailer size dumpster of garbage from the hotel right outside the building. Probably 6 months worth. A lovely open diaper bucket in the hall with a note that said "don't take my bucket. it's for my daughters dirty diapers". No street signs on the road and the building is not visible from the highway. Security .. Forget about it.

Room Tip: Keep driving.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank fcbarreca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Connecticut
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I thought I could drive from Phila to Hartford on a snowy day...gave up in mid-NJ and the sign before an exit indicated a few hotels close by. I can't say this place was as bad as the other reviews, but even at the $59.99 price, this place is only for emergencies, like mine. Bare bones, no amenities, fairly run-down, kinda smelly....I slept in my clothes and on top of the bedspread...just in case. The guy at the front desk (Tues aft and Wed morn) was friendly, and I'm lucky to have found a convenient, inexpensive place close to the highway when I probably should have stayed another night in Phila....but please find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank nagled

Travellers are raving about these Whippany hotels

Reviewed 6 July 2013

my worst hotel experience ever. booked looking for the lowest cost in the area knowing it would just be an overnight. the experience was bad, and from what you get this place is crazy expensive.

the room was incredibly incredibly smelly (probably from the carpet) i had trouble falling asleep.

if you are planning on spending more than some hrs in the hotel i'd suggest you to look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank aca_12938219321
Hopton
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This has got to be the most disgusting motel I have ever stayed at in my life. My husband and I were traveling from New York down the east coast and as it was getting dark, we needed a place to stop for the night . We decided to stop at the first place we saw and our nightmare began. The entrance hall was seedy and shabby, the walls and doors looked paper thin. We had a bad feeling about it but were so exhausted and not feeling well, we decided to just deal with it and stay for one night. Wrong. The room smelled like someone had urinated on the floor and they probably did. We left to get something to eat and when we returned, this dishevelled looking man wearing only red socks on feet, talking to himself and carrying a 6 pack of beer, entered the motel ahead of us and went to one of the rooms. I assume he must live there. By that time it was dark and as we had no idea where to find another hotel, we went to our room but didn't want to touch anything. We basically waited until first light, watching out the window all night to make sure no broke into our car, and left as fast as we could. An unbelievable nightmare I hope never to repeat.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JM P
Shickshinny, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Where to start...This place was very hard to find. Passed it twice before we saw it in the rearview mirror. No sign near the highway... Had to go way out of the way to turn around as Highway 10 has a concrete divider between lanes. Lots of parking places but had a very seedy element of individuals lurking in the parking lot and hanging out on their balconies. Made us a little nervous by this. The small lobby was very clean and nice. No lights though, clerk said she had a migraine and she turned them off?? Security door from side of hotel was broken. Anyone could have entered the hotel without a room key/card. Hallways were clean with brand new carpeting and had the smell of curry throughout. When we opened the door to our room a strong odor of animal urine hit us immediately. Once inside the room It was a nightmare!!! Very few, very dim lights! The refrigerator looked as if it was from the time the hotel was originally built, MANY YEARS AGO & it was dirty inside. Microwave was also very dirty in & out. All of the furniture had a minimum of 1" dust crusted over it. Heating unit was encrusted with crud!!! I placed a towel over the unit before I turned it on so the dirt didn't go flying into the room! It was very noisy & loud. The bathtub had obviously been used by the prior inhabitant and was NEVER CLEANED as it had a lot of dirt in the bottom!! The vanity & sink had a layer of crud on them. The bathroom ceiling fan was literally clogged by crusted dirt. It appeared to NEVER having been cleaned, ever. The tissue holder was hanging in the wall by one screw and swinging back and forth on the wall. Not even a half of a roll of toilet tissue and no extra roll was provided. I opened the balcony door for some fresh air and couldn't believe what was on the back side of this hotel. The back side is not visible to the you until you are in your room.... The inground pool was used as a scrapyard filled in with trash, old appliances, and building materials then covered over with [not enough] dirt. What was once a concrete patio/pool & lawn was now a mud bog. There was trash and hotel furniture scattered EVERYWHERE.
We complained to the young girl at the desk [different room available, refund?] and she informed me that she couldn't do anything, she needed to notify the manager. He would come to our room. Well... he never showed up, ever. After 8+ hours of driving and an extremely early departure time the next morning, We crawled into bed [with all of our clothes on!] The next morning, We brushed my teeth and left!!! I have since complained to anyone and everyone associated with this hotel and it's corporate office with absolutely NO replies.... BEWARE!!!!!! DO NOT BOOK a room at this particular hotel!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Clevelandtrvlr
OG
Reviewed 6 February 2013

First - was OK. Not as bad for us as it was for some of the other reviewers. Best thing - was close to the Highway and our destination. Driving distance ( would NOT want to walk) to limited choice of restaurants within, say a 3 mile distance - and a CVS and a Dunkin Donuts. Breakfast jan 2013 WAS at the ECONO lodge which is located a short walk across the parking lot. The Econo lodge is in front of the America's Best Value and close to the road. We saw the Econo Lodge Sign- and that's how we located the America's Best Value Inn. Good thing they told us to look for the Econo Lodge Sign or we could have missed it entirely. The America's Best Value/ Econo lodge is located on a road that has a divider- so you can't make a left turn into the parking lot. To get there from Rt 10 you have to manage an awkward (for unfamiliar with NJ) u turn if you are not on their side of the road. Another good thing was that the price of Gasoline at the next door service station was very good/ definitely competitive. We had no trouble adding a person to our room, no trouble getting extra towels, and smoking was permitted. The heater in the room is like a big heater/ air conditioner unit. It was quite noisy, and I am rarely happy with the choices of on (noisy) or off (getting chilly). We found that the unit did not distribute the warm air very well - so you will need to choose the person who likes the temperature warmest to be the one closest to the heater. Lighting was quite dim and not enough -until we took a lampshade completely off ( yes we replaced it before we left). There was TV, alarm clock radio, wake up call, an iron and ironing board and a microwave and a hair dryer BUT NO COFFEE MAKER. Obviously the coffee maker could be a deal breaker for me! The people were quite nice and the price was the least expensive I could find. We were on the second / top floor and had no trouble with noise. Plumbing and hot water were fine.Parking was available quite close to the entrance and also close to our room. Would definitely go back, as knowing what to expect makes such a huge difference, and it will be hard to beat the price.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank cmdOG
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Me and my husband stayed at this hotel in room 146 tue/wed night this week. the next day we both woke up with itchy red bumps all over our bodies. I had an 11 hour flight to Belarus on wednesday and I had a very hard time trying to stay seated in all that pain because of irritation and itchiness. Later on the bumps turned into obvious bug bites in the rows of 3-4 with blisters of water on them. The worst experience ever. I will do everything posible to tell people to never use the services of this stinky unsanitary place. Oh and plus Im allergic to bug bites which made my experience even better. I understand its a cheap hotel, but there are still some basic standards and sanitary norms.

Room Tip: Don't go to that place, really.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jessica J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whippany
HYATT house Parsippany/Whippany
Hampton Inn Parsippany
Hampton Inn Parsippany
#4 of 16 in Parsippany
Extended Stay America - Hanover - Parsippany

Been to Red Carpet Inn? Share your experiences!