“Great hotel at a great price”

HYATT house Parsippany/Whippany
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Whippany
Reviewed 26 November 2007

We just returned from a two night stay at The Summerfield Suites Hotel in Whippany, NJ. We booked a 2 bedroom suite for 92.00 per night over Thanksgiving. The room was big and comfortable and had 2 bedrooms, each with a king size bed and each with it's own bathroom. Also included were a living room with a sleeper sofa and a full kitchen. The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast in the morning and also snacks in the early evening. We enjoyed our stay and felt it was well worth the price. We will certainly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank joannepl
There are newer reviews for HYATT house Parsippany/Whippany

Reviewed 12 November 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights while visiting family in the area. I think it has potential to be a really good hotel for the price, but there are a few obstacles so far. Starting with the positives, there were some nice Hyatt touches to it (decent towels, double sheeted bedding, toiletries), the room was very large, nice tv and couch in living area, bed was comfy, shower pressure was good (although it was sometimes hard to get the right temp since the controls were unusual). In person I found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful, although when I called with questions beforehand they were not as helpful. The breakfast coffee and bagels were good, too.

Now for the negatives. It is hard to locate at first, and NJ jughandles make it more complicated. Which can't be helped, but make sure you print off directions before you leave! The other areas are things that could be improved. Despite asking for a quiet room at check in, we ended up only a few doors from the elevators, and around noon a very lively latin band checked in next door. While the music was good and the cooking smelled awesome, it was way too loud for us. The staff found us a very quiet room on the other end of the hotel away from the elevators after we called, and it was much better because even before the band checked in, the foot traffic in the morning was loud (conversations, running/crying kids, etc. -- the hotel layout is a big square with elevators in the middle of two sides, so the non-elevator sides are quieter). Neither room was particularly clean, especially the kitchen and bathroom areas.

I also was surprised there were no plastic cups in the kitchen or bathroom, but if you used the glass ones (or plates, etc.) there was a sign saying it was illegal to handwash dishes, but that the dishwasher would not be run unless it was half full. What does this mean? You are welcome to use the dishes but then you must waste the water washing your two cups and a plate because we won't? Or if you just rinse them with shampoo and put them away no one will be the wiser (no hand soap, of course, that would be illegal)? Ick! I think it would be better management to leave some plastic or styrofoam cups like other hotels if you aren't going to make sure the dishes are really clean.

As for breakfast--when they say it closes at 10:30, they mean nothing will remain out by 10:30. I have never seen such breakfast nazis anywhere. I think they would grab the orange juice out of your hand if you had it when they wanted to put it away. If the coffee ran out at 10:20, too bad for you. The eggs must have been powdered, the first day they were okay, the next day inedible. The bagels were good (but no light cream cheese) and the french toast wasn't bad. Not much selection of fruit-apple, banana or canned peaches. Just make sure to get there 30 minutes before closing if you don't want to race the ladies who apparently can't wait to go home. Also, the website says they have a shuttle but it is only local and does not go to the airport. It also only runs during the week. I haven't seen shuttles where they don't go to the airport--most places I've been they either just go to the airport or will go there and whereever else you need to go, within reason.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wi_light_sleepers
Reviewed 22 October 2007

Had an extended stay at this hotel. Was a little apprehensive at first b/c we knew it had recently been renovated. I'm pleased to report that we had a very pleasant stay. Renovations are complete, all rooms are decorated with new furniture. Loved bed and flat screen tv. Kitchen was clean with all the basics that we needed. Staff were generally helpful and friendly, quick to offer information on the surrounding area. Location is quiet. We thought value was good for the money and fit our needs perfectly.
We would stay here again without question.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Liberty26
Reviewed 13 August 2007

This hotel literally sucked!!! It was over run by a group (from what I was told, comes here every weekend in the summer) from Brooklyn that basically took over the hotel. The pool had to be shut down everyday for a few hours due to filth, the police were called to the hotel twice (disorderly conduct), kids were running wild and unsupervised through the halls, they ran out of extra blankets, there was literally no patio furniture to sit on by the pool when it was open, and the elevator was broken half the time (3rd floor hiker). I booked my reservation on line based on the reviews that I had read, and also based upon a past experience at a Summerfiled Suite in Gaithersburg, MD. For the price that I paid and the service that I received, I felt like I had been totally ripped off. I'll NEVER go back to this hotel and I don't recommend it to anyone............ BUYER BEWARE!!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2007

After a long drive from western Massachusetts, I decided I'd had enough of the road and pulled off Interstate 278 and ended up at the Summerfield Suites located almost directly off the highway. I got a huge suite for $102 including tax. I had a large bedroom with a nice TV, a huge bathroom, a living area with a flat screen TV/DVD player, and a full kitchen all to myself!
I didn't want to go out to eat so I ordered from a restaurant delivery service -- there is no restaurant on the premises; however there is a very small convenience store there with very basic foods you could cook or heat up in your kitchen.
I don't understand why some hotels don't provide face cloths? This one did not.
The TV channel selection was not outstanding; no HBO or other premium stations were available. I found that a bit disappointing. Also, why don't any hotels have digital cable so you don't have to depend on the TV station that scrolls the TV guide? Maybe I'm just spoiled, but it seems like this would be a nice service to the traveler who wants to see what's on and the "info" about that show before cancelling the TV guide station, finding the station only to find out that a) the channel is incorrect and/or b) the show is a rerun that you've seen a million times. Small gripe but I've always wondered...
There was no helpful information in the hotel room as to what services were offered, but that was ok because all I wanted was a meal, a shower, and TV at that point.
The breakfast served downstairs would've been nice except I got there half-hour before it closed and the rowdy crowd that was there had pretty much cleaned it out. I just had some cereal and that was fine.
The outdoor pool and hot tub looked terrific! Wish I'd had time to check it out.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 May 2007

The Summerfield Suites in Parsippany is going through a renovation now that the chain is owned by Hyatt. I stayed in this hotel two years ago and it was pretty bad. It's better now, but wait a few months for the remodel work to be completed. The location is hard to find, with no visible sign from the street, and is in a fairly remote area. There is nothing in walking distance, so get a rental car with a GPS system if you're staying here.

On the positive side, the beds are new and very comfortable. Feather pillows, decent comforter. The other furniture in the room is a mix of old beat-up and new. Apparently all the old stuff will be replaced over the next couple of months. For example, the desk is old and half-broken, but it has a brand-new Aeron chair. The TV is old, but next to the TV is a new flat-panel mounting panel just waiting for the new flat-panel TV to be installed. The sitting area is very dark, but I assume they will add a floor lamp to the decor, which is definitely needed.

While I was at the hotel, they filled the pool. It looks nice and clean, but I didn't venture out.

On the negative side, the bathroom remodel appears to be complete, but was done poorly. The toilet wobbles and the tiles have paint drips and dirt in the grout. The shower has nice pressure and a new curved shower curtain rod, but there's no way to close the drain to take a bath, if baths are your thing.

Service-wise, this is a typical low-end suite-hotel. There is a kitchen with basic furnishings, but no room service. If you want ice, there's no ice machine in the hall -- you have to turn on the ice machine in the refrigerator and wait for it to produce ice. No minibar, but there's a small shop with food and non-alcoholic drinks in the lobby. If you want a drink, good luck.

There are few amenities in the room. Nice Hyatt soaps, but no pen or pencil. If you want to use the free internet, you either need to bring your own ethernet cable or ask the front desk to send one to your room. (My colleague said that took over an hour.) The selection of cable TV is pretty good, but there's no pay-per-view. Instead, they have a machine in the lobby that you can use to rent a VHS video tape to watch with the VCR in your room.

I haven't commented on the morning construction noise, or the dust and refuse in the halls, or the guy on a ladder looking in my window at 7:30 AM. Those annoyances will go away. But I don't expect any of the service things to change once the remodel is done, or the bathroom to be improved, since they say my room is virtually done except for some of the furniture.

(Additional note: The power went out while I was editing this note. Right at the climax of Law and Order -- how does the case turn out?!?! I may never know! I assume that is a renovation-related issue, so no demerits this time. Good thing I'm using my Verizon data card for internet access on my well-powered laptop and that my inner-boy scout always packs a flashlight in my suitcase!)

If you need a low-budget hotel, this is a good option, but I still prefer the Marriott across the street or the Hyatt in Morristown when they're available and not overpriced.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Jet-Setter-SF
Reviewed 4 April 2007

The hotel is a construction zone and they do not warn guests in advance. Almost the entire second floor is under renovation, yet they will put guests on that floor. The only advisory is a letter posted on the side of the reception desk which is easy to miss.

The second floor literally stinks from paint and other toxic fumes. If you are booking a room, ask where the renovation is taking place and insist that you are lcoated on a different floor.

When I complained that we were not advised when we called for a reservation or checked in, the desk clerk pointed to the letter on the side of the reception desk. When I asked why we were not told at the time we called the property for a reservation, he rather oddly responded that they would have to make lots of calls to tell customers. Huh?

The rooms are nice, especailly for an extended busienss stay, but the smell and traffic in the halls from contractors is not worth the hastle. There are other options nearby.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank jerseybound
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whippany
HYATT house Parsippany-East
#2 of 16 in Parsippany
Hilton Parsippany
Hilton Parsippany
#7 of 16 in Parsippany

Been to HYATT house Parsippany/Whippany? Share your experiences!