“The Ghetto”

HYATT house Parsippany/Whippany
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Whippany
Reviewed 13 August 2007

This hotel literally sucked!!! It was over run by a group (from what I was told, comes here every weekend in the summer) from Brooklyn that basically took over the hotel. The pool had to be shut down everyday for a few hours due to filth, the police were called to the hotel twice (disorderly conduct), kids were running wild and unsupervised through the halls, they ran out of extra blankets, there was literally no patio furniture to sit on by the pool when it was open, and the elevator was broken half the time (3rd floor hiker). I booked my reservation on line based on the reviews that I had read, and also based upon a past experience at a Summerfiled Suite in Gaithersburg, MD. For the price that I paid and the service that I received, I felt like I had been totally ripped off. I'll NEVER go back to this hotel and I don't recommend it to anyone............ BUYER BEWARE!!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 July 2007

After a long drive from western Massachusetts, I decided I'd had enough of the road and pulled off Interstate 278 and ended up at the Summerfield Suites located almost directly off the highway. I got a huge suite for $102 including tax. I had a large bedroom with a nice TV, a huge bathroom, a living area with a flat screen TV/DVD player, and a full kitchen all to myself!
I didn't want to go out to eat so I ordered from a restaurant delivery service -- there is no restaurant on the premises; however there is a very small convenience store there with very basic foods you could cook or heat up in your kitchen.
I don't understand why some hotels don't provide face cloths? This one did not.
The TV channel selection was not outstanding; no HBO or other premium stations were available. I found that a bit disappointing. Also, why don't any hotels have digital cable so you don't have to depend on the TV station that scrolls the TV guide? Maybe I'm just spoiled, but it seems like this would be a nice service to the traveler who wants to see what's on and the "info" about that show before cancelling the TV guide station, finding the station only to find out that a) the channel is incorrect and/or b) the show is a rerun that you've seen a million times. Small gripe but I've always wondered...
There was no helpful information in the hotel room as to what services were offered, but that was ok because all I wanted was a meal, a shower, and TV at that point.
The breakfast served downstairs would've been nice except I got there half-hour before it closed and the rowdy crowd that was there had pretty much cleaned it out. I just had some cereal and that was fine.
The outdoor pool and hot tub looked terrific! Wish I'd had time to check it out.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 May 2007

The Summerfield Suites in Parsippany is going through a renovation now that the chain is owned by Hyatt. I stayed in this hotel two years ago and it was pretty bad. It's better now, but wait a few months for the remodel work to be completed. The location is hard to find, with no visible sign from the street, and is in a fairly remote area. There is nothing in walking distance, so get a rental car with a GPS system if you're staying here.

On the positive side, the beds are new and very comfortable. Feather pillows, decent comforter. The other furniture in the room is a mix of old beat-up and new. Apparently all the old stuff will be replaced over the next couple of months. For example, the desk is old and half-broken, but it has a brand-new Aeron chair. The TV is old, but next to the TV is a new flat-panel mounting panel just waiting for the new flat-panel TV to be installed. The sitting area is very dark, but I assume they will add a floor lamp to the decor, which is definitely needed.

While I was at the hotel, they filled the pool. It looks nice and clean, but I didn't venture out.

On the negative side, the bathroom remodel appears to be complete, but was done poorly. The toilet wobbles and the tiles have paint drips and dirt in the grout. The shower has nice pressure and a new curved shower curtain rod, but there's no way to close the drain to take a bath, if baths are your thing.

Service-wise, this is a typical low-end suite-hotel. There is a kitchen with basic furnishings, but no room service. If you want ice, there's no ice machine in the hall -- you have to turn on the ice machine in the refrigerator and wait for it to produce ice. No minibar, but there's a small shop with food and non-alcoholic drinks in the lobby. If you want a drink, good luck.

There are few amenities in the room. Nice Hyatt soaps, but no pen or pencil. If you want to use the free internet, you either need to bring your own ethernet cable or ask the front desk to send one to your room. (My colleague said that took over an hour.) The selection of cable TV is pretty good, but there's no pay-per-view. Instead, they have a machine in the lobby that you can use to rent a VHS video tape to watch with the VCR in your room.

I haven't commented on the morning construction noise, or the dust and refuse in the halls, or the guy on a ladder looking in my window at 7:30 AM. Those annoyances will go away. But I don't expect any of the service things to change once the remodel is done, or the bathroom to be improved, since they say my room is virtually done except for some of the furniture.

(Additional note: The power went out while I was editing this note. Right at the climax of Law and Order -- how does the case turn out?!?! I may never know! I assume that is a renovation-related issue, so no demerits this time. Good thing I'm using my Verizon data card for internet access on my well-powered laptop and that my inner-boy scout always packs a flashlight in my suitcase!)

If you need a low-budget hotel, this is a good option, but I still prefer the Marriott across the street or the Hyatt in Morristown when they're available and not overpriced.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Jet-Setter-SF
Reviewed 4 April 2007

The hotel is a construction zone and they do not warn guests in advance. Almost the entire second floor is under renovation, yet they will put guests on that floor. The only advisory is a letter posted on the side of the reception desk which is easy to miss.

The second floor literally stinks from paint and other toxic fumes. If you are booking a room, ask where the renovation is taking place and insist that you are lcoated on a different floor.

When I complained that we were not advised when we called for a reservation or checked in, the desk clerk pointed to the letter on the side of the reception desk. When I asked why we were not told at the time we called the property for a reservation, he rather oddly responded that they would have to make lots of calls to tell customers. Huh?

The rooms are nice, especailly for an extended busienss stay, but the smell and traffic in the halls from contractors is not worth the hastle. There are other options nearby.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank jerseybound
Reviewed 19 February 2007

We got an excellent deal on this hotel through hotels.com, and it was well worth the price we paid. The rooms were very spacious, with a full kitchen including dishes and pots and pans. The hotel even provides complimentary grocery shopping if you provide them a list.

There were some problems. The TV in the living room did not work, but they fixed that promptly. The bathroom had some water damage and the tiles were broken (they sank in when you stepped on them). The bed was overly firm so you could not sleep on your side. Worst, the hotel was under construction (ladders, strong paint odor, tarps everywhere) and this was not mentioned on the hotels.com website... that's why we got the great rate!

Even with the problems it was a very spacious room, good deal for the money, and should be really nice after some renovations.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2006

I just stayed here last weekend, and I was surprised to find out that this wonderful hotel has been acquired by famous luxury hotel chain Hyatt, and the business card of manager says "Hyatt Select" ...

The common area, as I was told, is going to be renovated starting October 2006, and the guest rooms would be from January 2007... So, it would be an even better than a great hotel now!

I used to use this hotel all the time but has not visit for a year, so I visit it again last weekend after seeing some bad review. I think the hotel still as great as I liked, and I have no problem to give it 5* for my own enjoyment.

I still like the hot breakfast, the hotel is still very crowd. What surprised me is that the swimming pool still open.

Now, I am even excited to wait for the brand new plasma TV to be installed in the guest room that way hundred of channels will look even better ...

I stayed at all 4 Hyatts in New Jersey and all 7 Summerfields Suites as well, so the perfect match of Hyatt and Summerfields suites should add more value to please fans like us...

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank biddingforhotel
Reviewed 5 September 2006

This was a great long term stay hotel. The staff was always very friendly and helpful, and the hot breakfast bar daily was great. The only problem that I saw was the carpeting in the rooms was coming up and needed to be stretched out or be replaced. Other than that the overall stay was excellent and I would highly recommend this hotel to others.

Stayed: August 2006
2  Thank puppyone
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whippany
HYATT house Parsippany-East
HYATT house Morristown
HYATT house Morristown
#3 of 5 in Morristown
Embassy Suites by Hilton Parsippany

Been to HYATT house Parsippany/Whippany? Share your experiences!