“Attentive service...special touches”
Review of The Ryland Inn

The Ryland Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ryland Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Any illusion that the guest is returning to the original Ryland Inn is lost upon approaching the property as one realizes the pastoral vista has been compromised by the renovations and ongoing construction. The current iteration needs to be evaluated as a newly opened restaurant at a site that was previously used for a restaurant. It can then be judged on its own merit which is considerable.
The fact that we were celebrating my husband's birthday was sweetly acknowledged in a card delivered by our waiter and, again, at dessert with chocolate wishes on the plate. Our waiter was attentive to our requests and very well informed in response to our questions about the ingredients in and preparation of various items on the menu. His recommendation for dessert-- a key lime cheesecake truffle which was light but sharply flavorful was perfect. Our "Beginnings" courses, octopus for my husband, pear salad for me were well-executed but not exceptional. Our entrees, red snapper and horseradish-crusted salmon were fair portions and prepared as described.
There was one aspect of the dining experience which strikes me as bizarre. The tables are set with a framed picture lying flat at each place setting. It remains there through the complimentary amuse and then is removed at the point when the appetizer is served. If they're trying to convey that each course will be a work of art, spare the pretense. At a minimum, I viewed it as unsanitary as food droppings( a blob of butter, in my case) do land on it and I can't imagine that there's a dishwasher with a "picture cycle".
In my opinion the level of service is their strong suit. Nothing beats exiting on a cold night to find that the valet has delivered your car with the heat turned on, to the front door!

1  Thank tasteful_10

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Perhaps my disappointment was my fault, I remember the former Ryland Inn, the perfect service, the outrageous menu and the glorious wine list.

This version is much less formal, expensive, and the menu is not at all an adventure. The service was O.K. as was the food. I don't think it was worth
the price.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

35th wedding anniversary dinner..food was delicious..service prompt but non intrusive..remembered "old" Ryland inn..good food but my husband was still hungry..the "New" Ryland inn served delicious innovative food that didnt leave you hungry..would definitely go again!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Not what it should be or wants to be. This used to be a top destination restaurant with warm rooms and great food. It's not any more. The food is less inspired and not perfectly executed. The service tries hard but isn't up to the task. At $100+ per head! I want more than Ryland delivers. I think they have too much emphasis on their wedding business and the rest is just not happening.

The appetizers were kept warm too long. The cavatelli was bland and the foie gras was plain. The octopus was the best thing at the table. As entrees, the venison had way too much coffee grounds rubbed on it and the bed of root vegetables were way under cooked. The chicken was good but plain. The wine list is impressive and Rosario made a good recommendation but be ready for $125 entry price.

The room was simple and elegant but not warm once you got past the bar.

It's just not a great experience any more.

1  Thank ddecavai
Reviewed 17 October 2013

It was a customer dinner, and the food was fabulous but the underlying procedures are very poor. No flexibility and a restaurant at this price point needs to be able to accommodate each quest.

I asked for veggies - they have a vegetarian option that is not on the menu, a wait staff person told me about it later, the waiter never mentioned it.
No chocolate dessert option on main menu, it's only on the tasting menu. My guest wanted something chocolate, and they would not serve it to us a la carte.
Diet Pepsi was accidentally spilled on one of my guests, a replacement was provided, and they charged me for the Diet Pepsi.
Dessert for one person came, 10 minutes later cappuccino for one other came, 10 minutes later after asking twice our tea came for the remaining two of us.

It's several small rooms, low ceilings, but the acoustics are terrible. There was a large group of noisy businessmen and their table was in the room with the smaller more intimate diners. Poor planning