“This place cant be Beat!!!”
Review of Surf Comber Motel

Surf Comber Motel
Ranked #40 of 75 Hotels in Wildwood
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We made last minute travel plans and after reading the reviews on here I was really Skeptical about staying here. I will tell you the negative reviews are so off base! When we arrived after a very long trip, we were greeted by the owner himself and was immediately impressed with the service! Check in was quick and painless and we were told if we had any problems to let him know. We were in one of the "outdated" rooms. (they are in the process of renovating) and it was very comfortable. Yes, they are small, but I seriously wasn't spending my vacation in the room. Our room was very clean and did not smell of must or mold like other reviews stated. The staff are amazingly friendly and go out of their way to make you feel at home. They are fast and efficient. The location is also perfect, one block from boardwalk and 1/2 block from Sea Shell Ice Cream Shoppe, best ICE CREAM IN WILDWOOD,,
I could go on and on about how wonderful they are here but could never even begin to say how nice everyone was and it was a great experience and we WILL be back next year!

Room Tip: Ask for newly remodeled room if you are picky about décor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
surf2267, Owner at Surf Comber Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

Thank you for the kind words! It was a treat to have your family stay with us.Hope to see you next year!

Reviewed 2 August 2013

This is an ideal location and the staff was very friendly. Rooms are very small and bathrooms even smaller. Desperate need of an upgrade. While we didnt use the pool it seemed like it was a nice area to relax.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your posting. We try every year to make upgrades to our motel. Hope you can make it next year to see what we have done .

Reviewed 27 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel last year for a couple of days and decided to go back for a week. The people there are friendly. It is clean and quiet. This place is very family oriented and is small which is better. It is not a big hotel with a lot of rooms and floors which means its more quaint than other hotels. It is also a couple blocks away from the boardwalk which is even better. Every time i go i will be staying here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
surf2267, Owner at Surf Comber Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you for your posting ! We hope to see guys in the near future.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Another Year and another GREAT stay at the Surf Comber Motel in Wildwood. I've been vacationing with friends in Wildwood for about 20 years and was fortunate enough to find the Surf comber a few Years ago. It has been great every year. Family atmosphere, close proximity to the Beach and Boardwalk...excellent location. I have seen improvements to the Hotel every year, leading me to believe the owners really care about this place and the Comfort of it's customers!
See you next year Surf Comber.. Roger S.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Roger S
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We just returned home from a great vacation in the Wildwoods, We stayed at the Surf Comber Motel. Our room was very comfortable and clean. Its location was only 2 blocks from the beach and boardwalk. We are hoping to book another stay with the Surf Comber before Labor Day.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joyce F
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Wow, before booking my room for my family getaway I read the reviews on the Surf Comber Motel & I was quite skeptical. However, friends of ours had recently stayed their and had a great time. Granted the motel is older, as are all the motels in Wildwood, I guess that is why there is a big presence of "Doo Wop". The bathrooms were small but we typically don't spend too much time in the bathroom. The location is great, close to the beach and boardwalk. The rooms weren't spacious, but again that is typical of a basic beach motel and truthfully we were not at the shore to hang in our room. The staff was friendly and attentive. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jen V
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I travel all the time, and I have seen it all, but this place is truly the lowest of the low. We booked a room for two nights. The mistake we made was not asking to see the room before we paid the rest of the deposit. Please do this. Our room was on the 2nd floor. As soon as you opened the door, it SMELLED like mildew, mold, dirty dish rag, just eich!! The room had two queen beds and an old tv (which I could care less about but some people here need flat screens). It had a working mini fridge and microwave. No idea if the microwave worked. The smoke detector was laying on the dresser, not up on the wall, and missing all of the batteries. WTH right? The one bed that is next to the bathroom sticks out in front of the door, so you have to shimmy around the bed (if you are overweight you could not get through) to get into the bathroom. The bathroom is very VERY outdated. The toilet is mint colored and is so old it flushes out the material on the front side rather than the back side. The shower was clean, but there is no water pressure at all. The sink is so old, it is just an antique bathroom. You have to turn the handles tight or else it drips. There is no phone and no clock in the room. The bathroom window is broken. It opens but doesn't slide on a track.

My boyfriend wanted to leave within the first minute of being there. Considering we had already paid in full, I couldn't see giving this hotel free money. So we stayed only to sleep and really tried to avoid being in the room.

When you leave the rooms on the 2nd floor be careful. You open the door and don't realize it is a step-down, and you go falling forward into the railing (really safe). The room doors have been busted up and repaired. You cannot lock the deadbolt from the outside, only the inside.

The bed spread on the bed was so disgusting, I refused to have it on the bed. It was full of stains of who knows what, and really creeped me out. It was obvious these were not cleaned and old/dirty.

If you want my honest opinion, this hotel felt like a hotel that a criminal running from the FBI with no money would stay in. Seedy and skeevy.

If you are not bothered by this stuff, then stay here. But they need to put some serious money into fixing up this place. They put money into fixing up the front office. That's not where it should have gone. Our 2nd day we were given fresh towels, but no wash clothes, the dirty one on the floor was left there, the paper mat on the floor that was soaked remained there, it is just not a well run place.

The only perks were it was close to the boardwalk, right by the Convention Center, and the air conditioner worked well.

There are not enough parking spaces for the hotel.

I couldn't wait to leave this place and dreaded going to it at night. I do not get grossed out by many things, but this place is definitely a place I will NEVER stay at again.

The people who work there are nice, but they got to get this dump cleaned up!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Colleen D

We realize not every traveler is fit for every property. We would hope in the future guests come down and explain their complaints so we would have a chance to fix their problems or issue a refund if they were so unhappy,but waiting til you leave does not give us a chance to give you customer service. Thank you for your suggestion about the paper mats in the bathroom we have removed them from the bathrooms . Our parking is tight but we do offer parking for every car we would hope in the future you check with the office about a parking spot before you get in a screaming match with another guest about a parking spot.